Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rolling Stone Top 100 guitarists 2011  (Read 51674 times)

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
Re: Rolling Stone Top 100 guitarists 2011
« Reply #150 on: December 08, 2011, 01:47:05 PM »
More proof of the similarity between Oldfield and Knopfler, check out the video below for Trick of The Light, it's from the mid 80's, check out the red Fender Strat Mike is playing, remind you of anyone? the fingerstyle playing, and the amazing solo from 2:49

Remind me of somenone ? Let's see...
Mike Oldfield, isn't he the guy wrote a book on Dire Straits ?  ;D ;)
Barry Palmer reminds me of Phil Palmer. Brothers? Cousins ? Maybe not.  :disbelief

I wish I could say that cute girl reminds me of someone.  ;)

Don't see anything else

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #151 on: December 08, 2011, 02:03:38 PM »
Very funny ;D
Actually Mike Oldfield gave an interview once when he said he didn't listen to the radio or modern music, but he did say he liked Private Investigations :) and thought MK was a brilliant guitarist.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #152 on: December 08, 2011, 03:14:58 PM »
Very funny ;D
Actually Mike Oldfield gave an interview once when he said he didn't listen to the radio or modern music, but he did say he liked Private Investigations :) and thought MK was a brilliant guitarist.
A brilliant guitarist ? Obviously Mike Oldfield doesn't work for Rolling Stone Magazine.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #153 on: December 08, 2011, 03:23:01 PM »
lol, no he doesn't, he isn't just some nobody trying to sell a magazine, he is a genuine artist, who knows talent when he hear/sees it :lol
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #154 on: December 10, 2011, 09:28:06 AM »
Very funny ;D
A brilliant guitarist ? Obviously Mike Oldfield doesn't work for Rolling Stone Magazine.

Lol, I hate best of lists at the best of times but surely a position of 40 something out of millions of amazing players in the world does equate to MK being a 'Brilliant' guitarist?
Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #155 on: December 18, 2012, 10:21:40 PM »
I bring back this topic to light because I bought on sunday the french "rolling stone" magazine "Occasional release" "100 greatest guitarists".

Mark is #13 !  :) way better than #40 he was back then !

I must admit that I agree with almost 13 top of list (except for Van halen) :

1 : Jimi (compared to Bach and Mozart)
2 : EC
3 : Page
4: Keith Richards (named "the human riff")
5: Beck
6: Gilmour
7 : Berry
8 : Van Halen
9 : Townshend
10 : George Harrison
11 : BB King
12 : SRV
13 : MK

what I like on this edition, is:
- beside the 100, a list of "outsiders" : Hackett, Howe, Bert Jensch, Lindley...
- girls are not forgotten : Joni Mitchell, Chrissie Hynde, Joan Jett...
- nice (and lot of rare) pics
- short list of "representative" songs for each guitarist
- in the end of the mag : some iconic guitars, amps and stompboxes

the little article about Mark says something like that (sorry for the google translation) :
nickname : "sultan of swing"
"there's very few guitar soli that everybody can hum : among them the duel between Fleder and Walsh on Hotel California, and the one (however damn elaborate) by MK on Sultans. JJ Cale's spiritual son, the english guitarist has a recognizable tone. (...) Knopfler is one of the most fine guitarists, and maybe one of the less demonstrative of this last 3 decades, like some of his solo work ("Remembrance day" for example) easily prove it"
representative songs : tunnel, sultans, brothers
pic : live aid with the red schecter strat (so, on Sultans)

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #156 on: December 22, 2012, 10:47:51 PM »
Thanks JF! WOW, 13! this is a great leap. Of course the previous poll stated that it was for guitarists in general and another one I remember was for rock related. So they had Robert Johnson, Django Reinhart, Segovia etc. I still think that EC, Richards and Page (to name a few)  are too high, and they have this place merely because they were pioneers with exquisite records, in the beginning of this rock era. Jimi, Gilmour, Knopfler, Green and Beck should really be in the 5 top places
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #157 on: December 26, 2012, 04:34:23 PM »
Thanks JF! WOW, 13! this is a great leap. Of course the previous poll stated that it was for guitarists in general and another one I remember was for rock related. So they had Robert Johnson, Django Reinhart, Segovia etc. I still think that EC, Richards and Page (to name a few)  are too high, and they have this place merely because they were pioneers with exquisite records, in the beginning of this rock era. Jimi, Gilmour, Knopfler, Green and Beck should really be in the 5 top places

I agree and I disagree  :)

It's always difficult to answer to the question : is this musician /artist a "reference" in his art ?

IMHO, an "important" artist is a one whom we can say : art has been different after him. The way to create art changed after him. He influenced other artists.
(I remember discussing this subject at the cinema University, about directors)

So, in our case, the question is : has the way of playing guitar changed after this or this guitarist ? Can we say there was guitar in rock music before him, and after him ? Has he influenced other guitarists ?
I like your term of "pioneers", it's exactly what can "describe" an "important" guitarist. If he is a "pionneer" in his category, it means that nobody else did what he did before him

Yes, you can find that EC has not "revolutionized" the way of playing guitar, such as Jimi or BB King ; but I think that we could say that he had a big influence on many guitarists after him, and I think we can say "there was guitar in the rock music before EC and after EC", I don't think he such to high.

K.Richard is THE rhtyhm rock guitarist IMHO, and I think he deserves his place. Rock riffs would never ahve been the same without him. Can we imagine that the Young brothers would have found all these riffs without listenig to K.Richards ?

Page is not only a great guitarist, he' also a great producer-arranger-composer. His guitar parts are very tastefull on many recordings, and I like how he blend the blues with prog and oriental music. His influence on many guitarists is obvious. As Louis Bertignac said about Page's solo on Since I've been loving you (recorded in one take in the studio corridor !) : "it's the first time I cried listening a guitar solo"...even if I didn't cry, it's indeed one my all time fav solo , and I think one of the best rock solos IMHO

I did'nt listen many Green recordings, so maybe my judgment is not valable, but I'd say that his influence is less obvious.

And , don't kill me, but I find that Mark is not such an "important" guitarist in rock music.
It's my favourite one, but it's not the same thing. I love his playing, his tone, but I don't think that he had a great influence on rock guitar "evolution"
I don't like Cobain or Johnny Marr, but I must admit that they had influence in rock music.

It's maybe a harsh statement, but I realized this, when I talk with family, friends, co-workers.... when I say "Dire Straits", everyboy says "ah yes, it's just this 80 band", and the only argument I have is that I love them, but in terms of "objective-musical-analysis", I think they can't suffer the comparaison with Dylan, Hendrix, beatles, Stones , Zappa (which I love) or with Bowie-The Cure-Nirvana-... (which I don't like), and I don't find examples to proove their impact and influence in rock history.

I think it's the same in terms of guitarists. Maybe it's a cliche, but hendrix-clapton-page-townshend-beck have always been in the top 5-10, and their influence makes no doubt IMHO.
I find fair that Beck is "above" Gilmour, as Gilmour always quoted Beck as a big influence for him, and Beck introduced new things, much more than Gilmour in term of playing, tone etc... but that's a different thing to say that I far prefer Gilmour than Beck (even I like Beck though)

I think (but I can be wrong) that your top 5, is the 5 you "like more", but not maybe the 5 you think are the "most important" ?

someones says that art is only subejective and about personnal taste, but I think that we can find some "objective" arguments sometimes.
that's why I try sometimes to say to myself that music-cinema-litterature-...that I like, can be just "low end" music-cinema-litterature, but it's not a problem, it's just what I like ! :)
well I think we discuss this hundred times, so.... :)

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #158 on: December 26, 2012, 07:31:45 PM »
you know JF, I would like to say that viewing these "best of " lists under the prism of logic, is a secret pleasure for me.  ;)
I, too, think that when it comes to such matters, personal taste is all that matters. I believe that you totally got me about this being my favourite list, but they are important for me! I will try to elaborate, with some logical statements though. You can consider it a game!

Let's re-examine some parts of your post, just for the brain teasing experience!

"It's always difficult to answer to the question : is this musician /artist a "reference" in his art ?"

Well, no it is not easy, but on the other hand the whole triviality of this matter for us fans,  is a paying job for some people, namely the critics, historians, fellow musicians, record companies, etc. This means that if there is an "objective" truth,   we, as fans  would be probably unable to know it, simply because we can not fully explore the subject due to lack of time and knowledge. This leaves us with one option really: choosing who to believe from the aforementioned people in the business, adding some of our favorites.

"IMHO, an "important" artist is a one whom we can say : art has been different after him. The way to create art changed after him. He influenced other artists.So, in our case, the question is : has the way of playing guitar changed after this or this guitarist ? Can we say there was guitar in rock music before him, and after him ? Has he influenced other guitarists ?
I like your term of "pioneers", it's exactly what can "describe" an "important" guitarist. If he is a "pionneer" in his category, it means that nobody else did what he did before him"

ONE of the criteria to define if an artist is "important" can be if art has been different after him. But it is merely one of the criteria, not everything. I believe that an artist is a man who tries to create art and art is a vague thing, more like an emperor's crown some people award to the results of an artists work. So in fact artists, their creations  and art are three completely different things.
I find that there are several paradoxes if we go down to "pioneer" path. Of course, if you read again my post you will see that I have other two factors in the same sentence: "Exquisite records, in the beginning of the rock era".  So I guess, the word "pioneers" is not good by itself. You can be a pioneer that nobody listens. If an obscure guitarist/composer plays/writes dozens of pieces of music, but none is able to listen to them, they are not going to influence anybody. Is he an artist?   If after his death his music is discovered because the trends have gone the way he was composing, would he be considered a paradox or a contemporary artist? But his music hasn't influenced anybody!
That is why, I think  consistency of work is a great clue abi\out artists. There are many artists with small body of work that have been in the right place and time and influenced the world. However it is not difficult to have one or a couple of nice songs (see the one hit wonders). So  with a little  luck, you can influence the world of art. But when the factor luck enters,  it means that the "artist" had little control over the produced work. So can we consider him an artist?  I could include many musicians here, but the point is that usually we don't know most of the artists that actually conveyed the changes, only the popular ones.
We also have to consider the fake art labels that are placed upon some arts, before they can stand the test of time. Since music, cinema and some other arts are major money making businesses, the companies have been using many marketing tools to convince people about the goodness and artistry of their product. Some times it works so good that it actually influences people.

"... EC has not "revolutionized" the way of playing guitar, such as Jimi or BB King ; but I think that we could say that he had a big influence on many guitarists after him, and I think we can say "there was guitar in the rock music before EC and after EC", I don't think he such to high."

I like EC recordings up to 1970. Yardbirds, Bluesbreakers, Cream, Blind Faith. Derek and the dominoes is still one of my all time favourites. After that he had 3-4 fine albums and then an abyss. It is not only his compositions, but the way he plays the guitar. I don't like his tone, his rhythm, nothing. I don't know why they said EC is a god, but surely if he was he has lost his deity status long ago. I believe that EC was the guitarist that was benefited the most from the use of new technollogy/ equipment  for the electric guitar. Introducing the new sound has influenced a great many. If we can split (I know we can't because it is very unfair) the luck from the actual ability, Clapton was very lucky.

"K.Richard is THE rhtyhm rock guitarist IMHO, and I think he deserves his place. Rock riffs would never ahve been the same without him. Can we imagine that the Young brothers would have found all these riffs without listenig to K.Richards ?"
Hate to admit it but I have a strange relation with the Stones. I have most of their records (I don't have 3 or 4 of them maybe), but fail to see why they still have such a following. Their last fantastic record was "Exile on main street"! After that they had some good ones, but from the 80ies onwards they just had one or two goodish songs in every album. Richards is a damn fine player and I understand your comment and his value, but since I can't enjoy the final outcome, I can not rate him that high.  What I mean is that if their career ended in 1979, Richards would be up there. Now he is just  mining from these days of old!

"Page is not only a great guitarist, he' also a great producer-arranger-composer. His guitar parts are very tastefull on many recordings, and I like how he blend the blues with prog and oriental music. His influence on many guitarists is obvious. As Louis Bertignac said about Page's solo on Since I've been loving you (recorded in one take in the studio corridor !) : "it's the first time I cried listening a guitar solo"...even if I didn't cry, it's indeed one my all time fav solo , and I think one of the best rock solos IMHO"

I like Page very much, even though his last great recordings were with Led Zeppelin, 33 years ago. After that we had very sporadic recordings, that have not aged well, and well, very few people listen to them anymore. I am very fond of Led Zeppelin, and I think that Page was a fantastic arranger-produced for the group. Right time, right place. I am even willing to let his numerous "loans" from other songs and artists go under the radar. But what happened after 1982? Where is the talent?

"I did'nt listen many Green recordings, so maybe my judgment is not valable, but I'd say that his influence is less obvious."

Leave everything you do and go out and buy all the Fleetwood Mac records from the Green era and some of his solo material from the mid 70ies to mid 80ies. If I had to pick one from each I would go for "Then play on" and "In the skies". He had influenced many guitarists, (Gary Moore, Santana, Snowy White, and many more like Judas Priest!!!!  )  but also influencial was the structure of his original songs and use of some new technology that have used creatively, by incorporating it in the song (listen to Supernatural from his collaboration with John Mayall) .

"And , don't kill me, but I find that Mark is not such an "important" guitarist in rock music.
It's my favourite one, but it's not the same thing. I love his playing, his tone, but I don't think that he had a great influence on rock guitar "evolution"
I don't like Cobain or Johnny Marr, but I must admit that they had influence in rock music."

No, probably he is not, but he has a unique tone (more than Richards, Clapton or Page)  that is harder to copy than other guitarists and is based on skill rather than effects,  he also composes the songs and produces the albums and he is popular (even if they don't appreciate it because he became known in the mid 80ies baby boomers era-with others like Phil Collins   ;D  )  and his songs are covered by many artists as diverse as Killers and Kenny Rogers. And he still produces music of quality! A unique tone (which by definition is sort-of breaking new ground)  when used with great effect to produce a fine tone  is as important to me as changing the route of music (now is that always good?),  maybe even more important, because I can actually enjoy the results! 

"It's maybe a harsh statement, but I realized this, when I talk with family, friends, co-workers.... when I say "Dire Straits", everyboy says "ah yes, it's just this 80 band", and the only argument I have is that I love them, but in terms of "objective-musical-analysis", I think they can't suffer the comparaison with Dylan, Hendrix, beatles, Stones , Zappa (which I love) or with Bowie-The Cure-Nirvana-... (which I don't like), and I don't find examples to proove their impact and influence in rock history."

Same problem over here mon fr
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #159 on: December 27, 2012, 10:59:26 AM »
good point Vgonis  :thumbsup

it's always a pleasure to read you  :)

your arguments are very convincing, and your english is far better than mine, so I'd say I'm convinced   :)

I agree with all that you said, about Clapton, Page, Stones, etc..., but to me the fact that these artists are only the shadow of themselves now is not a problem.
I like and listen their gold era, and it's good enoughto justify their place in rock history.

I totally agree that the last Stones good record is Exile (maybe I'd add its' only RnR for Taylor's work), but their 68-72 era is way above many other rock production IMHO, so even if their work from 1975 until now is bad music, I don't think it "devalues" the quality of Let it bleed or get yer ya-ya's out (one of my fav live album, ever)...

same for Clapton. I totally agree that his 80-90ies era is crap, but when I say I like Clapton and I think he is an "important" guitarist in rock music, I think  of course of his 65-75 era, and how bad is August, it doesn't affect how good is Layla (my fav album too, and I think one of the best rock albums).
Agree about his influence on sound/technic. (Hendrix begun to use feedback after seeing Clapton doing this, by approching the guitar to the amp)

In fact I don't have any recodings from these bands/artist after 1975...
My Led Zep collection end at Physical graffitti. No matter what Page did after, the led Zep 68-75 era bring me to heaven.

This means that if there is an "objective" truth,   we, as fans  would be probably unable to know it, simply because we can not fully explore the subject due to lack of time and knowledge. This leaves us with one option really: choosing who to believe from the aforementioned people in the business, adding some of our favorites.

yes agree, but I think that sometimes fans are too much "focused" on their idol, and forget to read others critics/analysis about other artists.
Thats' why I try regularly to "zoom out" from MK/DS and examine the whole rock history, and not only my fav music.
I like hearing other point of view from other fans , from other music (I love reading twm about the Dylan thing), I think it helps to tend to an "objective" view" (even if I know it's impossible)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 39 queries.