Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Fall 2012 tour with Bob Dylan  (Read 27785 times)

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
Fall 2012 tour with Bob Dylan
« on: May 29, 2012, 12:31:20 PM »
I thought it might be sensible to start a new topic on this, as the first rumoured details have begun to appear.

This is from Bill Pagel's website:

November, 2012, Fall Tour--
Upper Midwest and East Coast
With Mark Knopfler
Tour in Upper Midwest moving on to the East Coast
Possible shows in Nebraska, Minneapolis, Madison, Milwaukee and Chicago
Unconfirmed

* Unconfirmed dates represent shows that are under consideration
by management. In most cases, contracts for these shows have not been
signed, and they may or may not happen.

I've known Bill for many years, though our contact these days is intermittent, and he has a well-deserved reputation for supplying accurate information on Dylan tours. Take note particularly of the explanation of "unconfirmed."

There's nothing about shows in October but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see dates in the southern states and on the West Coast around then - but that's just guesswork on my part. Based on what Bill has said, I'd also suggest that the tour will end in New York with shows in the days just before Thanksgiving, which is 29 November this year.

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
Re: Fall 2012 tour with Bob Dylan
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 12:43:41 PM »
That's truly awesome! I love the idea of Bob and Mark doing a double package again - I know many people don't, but I think the mutual respect between these two geniuses is a beautiful thing! *insert love smiley*

It also throws a vague hope of a tour in Australia, because Bob is known to do this sort of reckless act!
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

OfflineDIFFICULTTOBELIEVE

• Local Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 01:44:13 PM »
Based on what Bill has said, I'd also suggest that the tour will end in New York with shows in the days just before Thanksgiving, which is 29 November this year.

I'd go for that too.

Love Expresso

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 01:46:43 PM »
Interesting to see: Will it be another double header tour with Mark's complete band or will Mark just play on stage with Bob for a few songs and travels with him without his band...

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 02:11:11 PM »
Interesting...

Lets see hot it develops...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 03:20:33 PM »
My understanding is that both bands will be involved in the tour, not BD and MK with MK's band, nor MK and BD with BD's band. It will be, I would hazard, the same as last time, in that both will play their own sets. I say this based on who told me what, way back last November, wehn this whole thing was first hatched.

The more interesting question, I would suggest, is whether this will be a genuine joint tour. Last time, it was a Bob which Mark was invited to join. This time, it is a tour that was initiated jointly. Maybe (just maybe) they will swap around who will provide the closing act. Time will tell.

That said, it has been intimated to me that it is Dylan touring team who have been making the basic plans for the tour. Tis is presumably because it's home territory for them and, because Dylan plays the USA more frequently than Mark, they would tend to seek to avoid visiting places too soon after the last time.

The other interesting things to watch out for are what sort of venues they play, in particular how large, and what sort of towns and cities. Dylan has a preference for going to new places on each successive tour (which is progressively more difficult as he continues to perform so many shows) but I suspect (and this is no more than a suspicion on my part) that this will be a fairly major event for both principals. Each will hope to feed off the other, as it were, in terms of attracting wider and larger audiences.

I wonder if the PR will dare talk about the giant of the Sixties combining with the giant of the Eighties or any such nonsense - actually, I think flim-flam would be a better noun, since both have produced  such excellent work well beyond their initial success and prominence (and sometimes together, too).

Again, I await further news with both anticipation and inquisitiveness.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 03:29:32 PM »
hope many of the regular tapers will join again, i'm thinking Soomlos, Bach, Schubert, Spot, Travlin man, etc...gonna be contacting them this weekend to ask them to def. tape both acts, as pretty much happened last fall.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 03:30:03 PM »
IMHO Mark nowadays is not that successful in the US. I mean in Europe you could add a great number of  MK fan to the BD fans that bought ticket. In the US I guess a vast majority will be in the house attracted by Bob.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 03:34:11 PM »
not sure of that, bob is not performing in the huges arenas that they shared in europe last fall either, it's mostly ballparks and the like. look at the theatres mark performed in in 2008 and 2010, similar to the regular bob indoor shows as well. i say they are both on a similar level in the us (venue wise)

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 03:43:57 PM »
I was not saying that they will play large venues nor that they ought to play large venues - and nor that I want them to play large venues.

I was only saying that it will be interesting to see whether, by performing on the same bill, their managements think that they will be able to justify those larger venues.

Dylan playing ballparks had two important features. Firstly, they were multi-artist bills. Secondly, they were smaller ballparks for the most part, with Dylan and the other performers playing to smaller audiences than the major league stadiums can hold and, also, supporting the minor league baseball teams. 

Personally, I hope that they play smaller places - almost the smaller the better for me - but it will be down to the economics (outlay at risk versus likely returns).

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 04:47:24 PM »
I was not saying that they will play large venues nor that they ought to play large venues - and nor that I want them to play large venues.

I was only saying that it will be interesting to see whether, by performing on the same bill, their managements think that they will be able to justify those larger venues.

Dylan playing ballparks had two important features. Firstly, they were multi-artist bills. Secondly, they were smaller ballparks for the most part, with Dylan and the other performers playing to smaller audiences than the major league stadiums can hold and, also, supporting the minor league baseball teams. 

Personally, I hope that they play smaller places - almost the smaller the better for me - but it will be down to the economics (outlay at risk versus likely returns).
funny that you feel addressed, as i was actually refering to ds1984...

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 05:31:50 PM »
I think I started the question of venue size in this thread and I just wanted it be clear what I meant when I first mentioned it.

Me, I'd be happy for them to play some small club somewhere - assuming we could get in, that is - somewhere we could see the whites of their eyes.

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 05:47:29 PM »
Based on what Bill has said, I'd also suggest that the tour will end in New York with shows in the days just before Thanksgiving, which is 29 November this year.
That would be a great idea. If there are 2 or 3 shows in NY , maybe it's worth setting up something.  ;)
I just saw the new fabulous MK covert art. Thanks God, he got rid of Salvador Lavado's awful "art"works.
That really boosts me up. Things have changed.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 07:57:38 PM »
That would be a great idea. If there are 2 or 3 shows in NY , maybe it's worth setting up something.  ;)
I just saw the new fabulous MK covert art. Thanks God, he got rid of Salvador Lavado's awful "art"works.
That really boosts me up. Things have changed.

Actually Salvador Lavado said on May15th in his twitter that he was working with Mark Knopfler again...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Love Expresso

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 08:18:39 PM »
yeah, jbaent, I read that, too. I wonder however how much "art" someone would see in this new album cover - the image itself is it more or less. It's only a question of where and how to put the font. And while I like the black "Privateering", the only thing to think about is why the artist's name is so decent in the lower corner...

So I think Mark has a lot of influence when it comes to chosing the right picture. The artists (Salvador or whoever) just have to show him some "dummies" and Mark chooses which one he likes best.

I have it as a screensaver since yesterday and I like it a lot. It grows on me and I am sure there is an interesting story behind it.

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 42 queries.