Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Favourite songs?  (Read 84408 times)

OfflineMisterYES

• Local Hero
Re: Favourite songs?
« Reply #105 on: September 01, 2012, 12:10:39 PM »
Radio City Serenade is like mixing two worlds. One is that old evergreen style, F. Sinatra-ish with trumpet or something, which I like, but other part is too much like "A night in summer long ago" which is fine but, I listened to GH album so much times by now that even a slightest reminder almost makes me sick  :-[  :)

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #106 on: September 01, 2012, 12:54:00 PM »
Radio City Serenade is like mixing two worlds. One is that old evergreen style, F. Sinatra-ish with trumpet or something, which I like, but other part is too much like "A night in summer long ago" which is fine but, I listened to GH album so much times by now that even a slightest reminder almost makes me sick  :-[  :)
None of those worlds is my cup a tea. Two reasons for me to skip RCS. Really. 
Interesting if MK mixes different styles : instead of having one Shangri-La style song, one Sinatra-like, one ANISLA-like, one Blues,   so 4 songs,  he can mix them together and release only one song.  ::) ;) 

Love Expresso

« Reply #107 on: September 01, 2012, 12:59:23 PM »
The Irish theme is obviously illustrating the Irish in the narrator? Irish policeman?

I have some questions about the lyrics anyway, so I can do it here I guess:

"the lady by the sea" - could that be the Statue of Liberty? I have no idea, also could be what he calls his hometown in Ireland or a "real" wife??
"Rockette" - What's that?
"You've got my arms" - Arms as in Brothers of Arms, means Weapons? Or arm the long shiny thingis on my left and on my right??  ??? ;D

Disturbs me when I have absolutely no clue what he talks about...

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #108 on: September 01, 2012, 01:05:01 PM »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineMisterYES

• Local Hero
« Reply #109 on: September 01, 2012, 02:22:19 PM »
It seems that, anyhow, Mark had a great fun (maybe more than ever?) while recording tunes, because there are so many background  "aaaaahs, yeas nad ooohs" on this album :)

Specially after some harmonica licks :) Like those to be honest, cheers me up :)

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #110 on: September 01, 2012, 02:36:20 PM »
It seems that, anyhow, Mark had a great fun (maybe more than ever?) while recording tunes, because there are so many background  "aaaaahs, yeas nad ooohs" on this album :)

Specially after some harmonica licks :) Like those to be honest, cheers me up :)

I agree, he sounds like he's having fun and playing well. Hope it doesn't wear off by the time he gets to America!
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

OfflineRkd

• Camerado
  • and the thread was spun to some arcadian band...
« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2012, 05:11:18 PM »
The Irish theme is obviously illustrating the Irish in the narrator? Irish policeman?

I have some questions about the lyrics anyway, so I can do it here I guess:

"the lady by the sea" - could that be the Statue of Liberty? I have no idea, also could be what he calls his hometown in Ireland or a "real" wife??
"Rockette" - What's that?
"You've got my arms" - Arms as in Brothers of Arms, means Weapons? Or arm the long shiny thingis on my left and on my right??  ??? ;D

Disturbs me when I have absolutely no clue what he talks about...

LE

My interpretation is that this is a song about a homeless veteran, of which there are plenty I fear (you've got to have no credit cards to know how good it feels ...  sitting on the sidewalk with a party to arrange), who takes comfort in the feeling that the city  (NYC - my beautiful Rockette) is his home in a way that only homeless people must feel. You and I have a house in a city somewhere, but the homeless consider the entire city they live in their home, I think. The references to the Statue of Liberty that run throughout the song (lady with a light) correlate with what this person stood for when he was a soldier and how having that silhouette of the statue to view from perhaps a temporary home under a bridge (have I got you a river view) is comforting to him (a person now living on the margins of life) as he reflects on the sights, sounds and symbolism of the city and country that he loves.

Love Expresso

« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2012, 05:13:47 PM »
Nice interpretation, thank you. Maybe I should forget about the policeman then? Was this damned post at Guy's forum months ago where someone asked about Chris Botti playing on a song on Mark's new album about an Irish NY cop... So that has influenced me - until now! Will hear it again with your lines in mind...  ;)

LE

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #113 on: September 01, 2012, 05:15:00 PM »
occupation blues is REALLY getting to me. like the noodling and like the chorus. also, jim is delivering some great piano playing here. and Richard on his bouzouki.i find the mcgoldrick/mccusker influence not being to high on this album by the way, anyone else noticed??
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #114 on: September 01, 2012, 05:17:11 PM »
LE, My link from Wikipedia (above) states that Rockette's are dancing girls from Radio City!   Perhaps you missed it!   ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #115 on: September 01, 2012, 05:17:46 PM »
Yeah, I noticed that, too.

I think Follow The Ribbon is a really great song, too. Would have been perfect to end the whole Double album as a last song.. 8 minutes, veeeeeery relaxed and calm, but nice repeating melody, puts you to sleep nearly, but in a good way...  ::) if you know what I mean... I think I will put it at the end of Privateering or even change it with After the Beanstalk on my playlist...

LE

Love Expresso

« Reply #116 on: September 01, 2012, 05:21:50 PM »
LE, My link from Wikipedia (above) states that Rockette's are dancing girls from Radio City!   Perhaps you missed it!   ;D

No, Val, I saw that but forgot to say thank you. So THANK YOU!  :D But somehow I have to manage now to put this together with the story of Rkd... Or with the cop story...

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #117 on: September 01, 2012, 05:27:55 PM »
The only one which has way too sudden end is Yon Two Crows. I was really expecting a fey rounds more long solo at the end, after that great theme  :-\

Got no probs with fade outs though...

Just off the top of my head I can think of the fabulous Bluebird for a start.  One of my favourite song from the album cut short.  Just hope it's played live with an extended solo.  This song can easily last an extra minute or so.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #118 on: September 01, 2012, 05:29:54 PM »
Would be great if he'd play all 24 new songs during the 2013 tour! ;D

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #119 on: September 01, 2012, 05:35:44 PM »
Would be great if he'd play all 24 new songs during the 2013 tour! ;D

I think you're on the wrong forum;  this is Mark "safety" Knopfler we're talking about! ;D
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 47 queries.