Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: DSIS Telegraph Road Mailing List ??  (Read 15529 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: DSIS Telegraph Road Mailing List ??
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2014, 12:07:50 PM »
Just saw in facebook a member of the  TR mailing list and though about awaking this old post, in case he is looking for it.  I was a member as well, wrote the first SL review after a trip in London and an early promo copy I tracked down at a second hand store in Portobello, a couple of weeks before the official release.

I always find it funny when I read Portobello because most people don't realise it's actually a suburb of Edinburgh.  It's very well know in Scotland because it was a great Victorian seaside resort especially for Glaswegians.  They would travel East across the country at the time of the Glasgow Fair when most of their local businesses would close.  Porty was still going strong as a resort until about the mid 20th century probably.  Sean Connery used to work as a lifeguard there!

Still a lovely place but no longer a resort, it has lost it's pier, it's beautiful Art Deco swimming pool (where Connery worked) and gained an amusement arcade.  Much the same as Whitley Bay and most British seaside towns in that respect.  It still has it's wonderful Turkish baths though.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 12:12:12 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2014, 12:15:07 PM »
There's also an area in Dublin called Portobello, but I have always assumed the song was about Portobello Road in London.   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2014, 12:19:00 PM »
There's also an area in Dublin called Portobello, but I have always assumed the song was about Portobello Road in London.   :)

Yes, that's what I have always assumed too.  I suppose it can be about what you want it to be though and what it means to you...

It's not too far fetched to assume that Mark and family would have visited Portobello for a holiday during the Glasgow Fair though.  :think

LoveExpresso

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2014, 12:59:41 PM »
I used TR Mailing list on a daily base, but only reading. I liked Tomas Molins site a lot because it was a great source of information. Later I changed to Oneverybootleg which was even nicer. Can hardly remember any of the discussions on TR except a long one about The Ragpicker's Dream...

LE

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2014, 02:24:51 PM »
Portobello must mean "Nice harbor", so it probably more fitting for seaside districts!  ;)
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2014, 04:12:41 PM »

yes I think so to, and I believe there are some early gigs (boston 79, barbarella's 78) where Mark said before the song something like "and now back to london" (but he said that before single handed sailor and wild west end to) and in 82-83, during the song intro he spoke a lot about that district in london with carabean music and so on...

but on the over hand, there is the line with "irish girl" (that made the crowd in Dublin liking the song so much in 91) so it could also be about the Dublin district (maybe that was what the Dublin crowd was thinking about ?), but I doubt it

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2014, 04:16:36 PM »

yes I think so to, and I believe there are some early gigs (boston 79, barbarella's 78) where Mark said before the song something like "and now back to london" (but he said that before single handed sailor and wild west end to) and in 82-83, during the song intro he spoke a lot about that district in london with carabean music and so on...

but on the over hand, there is the line with "irish girl" (that made the crowd in Dublin liking the song so much in 91) so it could also be about the Dublin district (maybe that was what the Dublin crowd was thinking about ?), but I doubt it

Also "the blind man singing Irish"    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2014, 06:50:28 PM »
I don't think there's much doubt about it being about the Portobello Road market.  Mark has spoken before during a concert about there being all sorts of nationalities there and all sorts of musical styles (reggae rumble).  This would also explain the (paper) "rhino" on a truck (Notting Hill Carnival).

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2014, 07:39:57 PM »
I have a photographic book entitled "Portobello Road -The Early Sixties", published by the Antique Collectors' Club. The photographs recall a time when the market was more local and less international (and you could, occasionally, pick up bargains). One of the photos has this great, handwritten sign: "Very useful hard-wearing single size SHEETS" (and then in smaller size) "with slight repairs". The price was "5/- each or 2 for 9/-".

Portobello Road was originally Green's Lane and, later, there was a farm there called Portobello Farm, which took its name from a victory in the "War of Jenkin's Ear" between the British and the Spanish in the mid 18th century.  Puerto Bello, as it was called back then, is in Panama.

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2014, 09:20:08 AM »
I too was on TR list.  Is there a web based archive anywhere of those posts to that list?

And whatever happened to Tomas Gygaxs Neck and Neck site and Tomas Molins knopfler.net sites?   They were the first generation of DS and MK websites

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2014, 04:17:51 PM »
And whatever happened to Tomas Gygaxs Neck and Neck site and Tomas Molins knopfler.net sites?   They were the first generation of DS and MK websites

Both were my primary sources on MK's related issues.
I was in TR too, and was an occasional poster. As I was in Spanish City, even though I don't speak Spanish...
Love over gold, mind over matter

OfflineGuitarman1972

• Camerado
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2014, 08:47:24 PM »
I became a T-Roadie on friday the 7th of June 2002 at 12:02 in the afternoon.  :D

The last Digest I received was on tuesday  the 9th of October 2007 at 12:08.  :-[ It felt terrible when the T-Road mailing list died. I felt disconnected from the other fans. After the death of the T-road mailing list I moved to Terry's forum. Luckaly at some point I discovered amarkintime somewhere down the road.

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2014, 10:03:17 PM »

I discovered the solo music of Mark in September 2006! I knew some songs of Dire Straits before but at that time I wasn't a big fan! After discovering by accident the beautiful song
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

Offlineknopfling

• Camerado
  • SALT LAKE CITY June 25, 2008
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2014, 06:24:30 AM »
I loved the Neck and Neck site, too. It had a lot of information. I can only find the discography section of it now. Thomas G and Tomas M. helped keep me informed before forums came online. and I was grateful.
I also went to MK.news forum after losing TR and N&N ceased to be updated, then went joined AMIT when it started as well as MK.com's red page. Now I'm on a couple of Facebook MK sites, too.
Before I found TR email list, when Frosty was still running it, it was really hard to find out much here in the States - had to rely on Rolling Stone and Billboard and maybe a guitar magazine.
My 2008 Red Rocks/Salt Lake/Hard Rock pix
http://s319.photobucket.com/albums/mm469/knopfling/?start=0

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 40 queries.