Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dire Straits Information Service (D.S.I.S.)  (Read 6871 times)

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
Dire Straits Information Service (D.S.I.S.)
« on: December 14, 2010, 09:34:47 PM »
Never saw this before, but it really great! Some cool stuff that I didn't know :)
http://www.neck-and-neck.com/dsis/index.html

* MK wrote at least ten songs for BIA. I know some songs from other records that weren't released or put on a single, but I always wondered which songs were intended to be on BIA but didn't make it..
* Romeo & Juliet is one of MK's favorite songs. I expected that one, because he will play it forever and with such an emotion like he still cares about it.
* Golden Heart was already mentioned in 1994! Never knew the period between the OES-tour and MK's first album was that short.

Great stuff to read, hope you like it!

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Dire Straits Information Service (D.S.I.S.)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 10:56:35 PM »
Between 1985 and 1986 Tina Turner recorded a Mark Knopfler
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 12:32:37 PM »
I was about to create a new thread for the DSIS newsletters but I searched for an old one to revamp, I think it´s better than create any new one...

My idea was to ask to all of you about the DSIS newsletters, many of you know about them because were DSIS sunscribers, or found them in internet and they are a very special source of information about the DS and MK history as it came from the management itself.

The thing is... the earlier DSIS newsletter I found is from November 1983 but it might be earlier ones, as that newsletter starts like this:

Hi!
Sorry I haven't written for so long but I spent a lot of the past month in Germany, Portugal and Finland with Limahl, who was doing TV shows, press etc. But I'm back again now till the end of December, so here goes...

Here it is a list of online newsletters

https://web.archive.org/web/20080626141056fw_/http://www.neck-and-neck.com/dsis/index.html

I know that there are more that are not here, I have some in paper that I got in trades, but nothing before 1983, but there must be any...

If any of you have a DSIS newsletter before november 1983, please say something  :wave  ;D

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 06:44:38 PM »
Just want to say thanks for the original and updated post!   :D :D
I was not aware of the Newsletters, so for me, this is great stuff!!!  :thumbsup
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 09:01:54 PM »
I really would like to find earlier newsletters...  ::)

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 12:21:44 PM »
Sorry to bring this back but...

Anyone here has the DSIS newsletters, and can check if you have anyone before November 1983?

It's rare that DSIS probably exists from the early 80's but I've never seen any of those...

Offlineolazabalrok

• Camerado
  • don't burn the pig
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 12:47:02 PM »
There was a folder of DSIS letters on Knopfler Unlimited but it seems to have disappeared? Anybody know anything? Also a thread from here about Knopfler unlimited has disappeared, a reason for that?

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 01:04:18 PM »
There was a folder of DSIS letters on Knopfler Unlimited but it seems to have disappeared? Anybody know anything? Also a thread from here about Knopfler unlimited has disappeared, a reason for that?

Discretion / prudence

OfflineMasiakasaurus

• Camerado
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 01:13:57 PM »
Sorry to bring this back but...

Anyone here has the DSIS newsletters, and can check if you have anyone before November 1983?

It's rare that DSIS probably exists from the early 80's but I've never seen any of those...
Thanks for keeping this thread alive, I somehow missed it! Earlier letters would be awesome... For the moment I'm pleased with these since I didn't know they existed  :)

Offlinecampamentwagen

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2022, 06:47:41 AM »
I have been able to find a Jan 83 newsletter, but it's in very bad quality, still readable, but will need a good transcription.
https://www.mediafire.com/view/sog8vd7wmy5q21w/83_newsletter-1.jpg/file this is the original image in question, no extra compression done to it.
I will try transcribing it in a few days, and will upload it here

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2022, 01:32:28 PM »
I have been able to find a Jan 83 newsletter, but it's in very bad quality, still readable, but will need a good transcription.
https://www.mediafire.com/view/sog8vd7wmy5q21w/83_newsletter-1.jpg/file this is the original image in question, no extra compression done to it.
I will try transcribing it in a few days, and will upload it here

Good news, thank you in advance  :thumbsup
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2022, 11:47:29 AM »
A cool topic with the DSIS Infoletters by Liz. I also own some original ones and many copied versions from the Neck and Neck-Database.
I also have some gaps in my collection. The oldest one (a copy) is from November 83. Then i have January 84, February 85, May 85, September 86, March 88. Thats all from the 1980s, and all are copies. If someone has all released DSIS-letters it will be fine to share them with us. To me, for my archive, copies are welcome. :wave

PS: I can recall, that a fellow fan from Switzerland, Thomas Gygax, had digitalized them for the Neck and neck-fan-page.  :think
We are fools to make war

OfflineSkinny Kid

• Guitar George
  • Goodness me, could this be ...
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2022, 04:47:03 AM »
Enjoy    :)

Jan 83

DIRE STRAITS.... news....

Hi !  Happy New Year !  Well, I'm at home now on holiday till January 4th after a very hectic December, most of which I spent on tour with the group. We all had a really great time, and thanks to all of you who came to the gigs - hope you enjoyed them as much as we did. Every show was different, and we had some lovely andiences all round the country. All the band (and Ed, Paul and I) were really tired by the end of the tour but we had a wonderful time at Wembley. We had a huge Christmas dinner backstage before the show on the 20th - for all the band and crew and everyone involved, and then a party at Abbey Road Studios after the show, which went on till the early hours of the next day. The last show (as those of you who were there will know) was a bit different in that Roger (our merchandize seller) came onstage in a peculiar outfit and danced to "Twisting By The Pool", and then all the road crew and various other strange people wandered onstage during the last song with a huge Happy Christmas banner, tinsel, silly hats, cups of tea for the band, etc etc. Last nights are always a bit over-the-top !!

Right now, Mark is in New York putting the finishing touches to the "Local Hero" soundtrack LP, and Ed, Paul and I will shortly start working on the tours for 1983. The rest of the band are on holiday till the Australia / New Zealand tour starts in February.

If you went to the UK shows, you'll know then, but in case you didn't, don't forget there's a Dire Straits EP out on January 14th. The main track is "Twisting by The Pool" and if you weren't at the above and haven't heard it, I think you'll be surprised - it's as different from "Private Investigations" as it possibly could be !  When we were in Brighton, in the afternoon before the second show, the band did a video to go with the song, so hopefully, if it is a hit, the video will get shown on Top of the Pops, etc.

Ok, I think that's all for now. Thanks to all of you who sent cards and presents, and thanks from all the band for supporting them throughout the year. Let's hope 1983 is a good year too ...

Best wishes,

Liz

PS:  Please excuse the awful type - this is my own typewriter which I keep at home (a reminder of my days as a journalist !!!). I think it must be an antique by now, and how I ever managed to type my news stories on it I'll never know !!

damage.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 01:25:11 AM by Skinny Kid »

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2022, 10:15:47 AM »
Thank you Skinny Kid.

Interesting that the Twisting video was filmed in Brighton, I wonder what the venue was.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineVesper

• Lady writer
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2022, 10:35:50 AM »
Thank you Skinny Kid.

Interesting that the Twisting video was filmed in Brighton, I wonder what the venue was.

Must be The Brighton Centre.
Got it from the list of tour dates on oneverybootleg.nl

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 36 queries.