Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Tommy Mandel's story  (Read 29878 times)

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
Re: Tommy Mandel's story
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 02:35:43 PM »
Jack just had twins at the time of the Mandela show and probably would not cross the Atlantic for just one gig especially when at the same time Mark was playing alongside one of the best guitarist in the world.
If I remember well the interview I read a few years ago, the last time they spoke together was a phone call in september of that year.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 03:13:37 PM »
Jack just had twins at the time of the Mandela show and probably would not cross the Atlantic for just one gig especially when at the same time Mark was playing alongside one of the best guitarist in the world. 

Of course. It just seems strange that MK obviously seemed close to him then and then he was written out.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 04:00:44 PM »

Of course. It just seems strange that MK obviously seemed close to him then and then he was written out.

According to Jack, they were close friends in the early 80's, not just a last minute recruited musician  for the BIA recording and tour.

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 04:06:38 PM »
Indeed, just makes it an even more interesting story of how he got dumped...

Rollergirl

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 05:10:34 PM »
Of course he doesn't say he is famous.
Obviously he is the main character of his book, which means the title is wrong unless he considers himself as a famous guy.  ;)

well he is certainly famous here!  ;D

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2011, 12:07:47 AM »
Well fame is a tricky thing. Tommy gained a place in the spotlight once again (to AMIT spotlight), thanks to his comments and not his actual work. It was the peculiar guy that kept dancing even during Private investigations! Come to thing of it, the camera was very shy on him. We never saw him from up close. And he was part of one of the most sickening songs ever "Everything i do i do it for you".
About Jack Sonny, I don't know what you say but from the last BIA show until the recording of OES it was almost 5 years. Life can surely change lanes in such a long period.After all DS were on a hiatus. I remember MK saying in 1989 that he doesn't even think of recording again with DS. He was always busy, touring with EC, charity, awards, divorce, producing and playing on other artists' records, writing film music and probably taking sometime off. He was doing a one man's work. Then he used Phil Palmer, from EC band because he probably had spent more time together playing, so the interaction and response between them would probably mean less time rehearsing, understanding and "getting in tune". I don't think that there is something more than that. Maybe after 20 years (just around the corner) he might do a gathering of all the musicians and do a record like the Noting Hillbillies. Come to think of it, it is too bad that neither Brendan or Steve ever made it international big.     
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2011, 11:02:58 AM »
Mark and Phil played together only one time, at Knebworth, the rest of the time when one was part of EC band the other wasn't. Furthermore Phil was not a first though for touring with DS as he was recruited only after that Vince Gill turned down the offer, the later giving priority to his solo career.

Phil was not the only musician witnessed by Mark on Knebworth that would make on the OES tour : Chris Whitten, then playing for Paul McCartney and was asked as Jeff Porcaro would not do the OES tour.

Love Expresso

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2011, 12:22:42 PM »
I am not sure if that is right. At Montserrat I am sure Phil was drumming during Money for Nothing?
I am at work now and have not the opportunity to check it, but I remember some other Prince's trust
shows for sure where they played together?

LE

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2011, 01:11:29 PM »
I am not sure if that is right. At Montserrat I am sure Phil was drumming during Money for Nothing?
I am at work now and have not the opportunity to check it, but I remember some other Prince's trust

LE

Phil Palmer, not Collins  ;)

Jackal

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2011, 02:35:42 PM »

LE

Not Phil Palmer, Collins :D

Phil Palmer played rhythm guitar, I think?

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2011, 04:10:26 PM »
LovenExpresso was replying to ds1984, who was talking about Phil Palmer  :)

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2011, 04:21:01 PM »

LE

Not Phil Palmer, Collins :D

Phil Palmer played rhythm guitar, I think?

Alongside Mark, Phil, Phil, Sting, Ray (but no Corvette!), a forty piece orchestra clapping in hand, a choir, inevitable Guy, a bassist whom I forget the name (I wonder if I have ever known who he is), and blitztering solo provided by the Man himself, Eric.

Phil had already drummed for Mark on the Prince Trust 1986 asthey were both part of the house Band

Both show that were really poorly recorded by TV

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2011, 04:24:45 PM »
Mark and Phil Palmer are both on the John Illsley album 'never told a soul'. But not on the same tracks... So i don't
know if they met.... Phil played with John then...
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Love Expresso

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2011, 07:31:03 PM »
Mark and Phil played together only one time, at Knebworth, the rest of the time when one was part of EC band the other wasn't. Furthermore Phil was not a first though for touring with DS as he was recruited only after that Vince Gill turned down the offer, the later giving priority to his solo career.

Phil was not the only musician witnessed by Mark on Knebworth that would make on the OES tour : Chris Whitten, then playing for Paul McCartney and was asked as Jeff Porcaro would not do the OES tour.

Sorry, ds, next time I will read your post more properly. Of course you were talking about Phil Cunningham, who played with MK only once apart from the Get Lucky recording...  ;D Didn't you??  :disbelief :disbelief :disbelief

LE

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2011, 08:12:23 PM »
So... MK played on the Phil Everly album then?

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 46 queries.