Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Tommy Mandel's story  (Read 29731 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: Tommy Mandel's story
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2015, 08:39:42 PM »
lol, at least you did not go all "decca" on her....amazing story still :-)
what was your favorite song(s) to play live with Mark? and why?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineforjum

• Guitar George
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2015, 09:27:49 AM »
Hi Tommy,
amazing to read your history here. I always love to know from the musicians that make our "heros" shine on stage. Thanks to the internet we have contact with many of you so thanks for sharing those memories.
And talking about memory, and maybe following Pottel previous post, I have a couple of questions for you.
The Love Over Gold Tour set list was the most static set list in MK

Offlinetommym

• Guitar George
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2015, 04:38:42 AM »
The bridge from Romeo and Juliet into Love Over Gold was always one of my favorite pieces to play. The intro to Solid Rock, actually that whole song, was also right up my taste alley. Private Investigation was challenging with its orchestral moves. The Theme from Local Hero is so beautiful that I still find my hands playing it to this day, sometimes without me even thinking of it first! Those are a few of my favorite musical moments in the Dire Straits sets of my short period with them.
As far as a static set list, perhaps it was because there were 2 new players in the band (Terry Williams and myself) - and especially with all the detailed lighting cues, Knopfler and Chas Herrington may have felt it had to be what it was. With all the hard work and attention to details that Mark put into his arrangements, even though we practiced for weeks before we went out on the road, perhaps he felt that that this rehearsal time would be better used getting real comfortable with the set, as opposed to learning a bunch of tunes that we'd only do occasionally. I don't really know, just guessing.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.024 seconds with 36 queries.