Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Isaac  (Read 20658 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Isaac
« on: September 26, 2011, 10:46:39 PM »
Just read in the "The way I see it" Isaac
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
Re: Isaac
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 02:14:11 AM »

A good piece of news for me, as I really like his writting style.

I prefer my own.

Sorry, no offence intended of course, but as a journalist, I couldn't resist  ;D

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 12:54:29 PM »
Just read in the "The way I see it" Isaac
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 06:04:39 PM »
Only ten shows ? That's an amateur job Isaac !  ;)

Love Expresso

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 07:11:11 PM »
Looking forward to it. Great writing style. Cool that he does it once more. 10 shows are appropiate, it is just a Dylan tour after all.

LE

Jackal

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 07:50:08 PM »
It was pretty amazing what he did, following the entire tour. But slightly bordering on "knock knock anybody in there". Plus it must have been pretty weird for the band to see the same guy in the audience every single night! Hehe.

Love Expresso

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 08:07:53 PM »
Mark just ignored him after all I read in Guy's diary. Pretty harsh from him I think. It would have been a nice gesture from him to shake his hand at least at the end of the last show or something. Nobody in any audience would have felt disadvantaged for sure. All those gifts from the band/management were great and friendly but had the taste of reparation somehow.

LE

Jackal

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 08:56:01 PM »
I actually understand Mark in this situation. I for one would have been freaked out. Plus when they use the term "get a lifer", even jokingly, it still says a bit about what they think about fans like that.

EDIT:

Sorry, that came out bit wrong. I didn't mean to say that Isaac IS a "fan like that". But when Mark sees the same person in the audience for the whole tour, I'm sure the Rudiger alarm goes off.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 08:58:08 PM by Jackal »

Love Expresso

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 09:12:26 PM »
Yeah, Isaac would probably have problems to call himself a "fan". He put it in words very exactly explaining what was his motivation, the term "Isaac(ing)" has been created here at this forum but doesn't nail it when it comes to comparison with some kind of "Rudiger"-effect. Isaac had just the idea of combining travelling, writing and listening to the greatest band in the world (not only in his opinion) live. He has no bootleg, is not active in any forums and would probably never try to get an autograph from Mark and the band. He himself finds the idea disgusting having been talked to from Mark only because of what he was doing.

Well, I do not have to defend him, but I for my part had good fun and very much great information from his last blog. I was happy he did it. I met him twice during the GL tour and cannot say anything that would describe him as some sort of "strange Rudiger kind of guy". No chance to meet him again on this tour as his trip will end in Rotterdam as far as known today, but maybe he will do some more shows - depending on the quality of the gigs. Will be a good addition to the hopefully lots of concert reviews popping up at AMIT, same as in 2010.

LE

Offlinejabbathehut

• Camerado
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 11:19:51 PM »
Issac was living the dream.How many of us would loved to have done what he did.He did it for himself not to please the band in any way.I think the way Mark sets up the tour he doesn't really expect people to go to more than one or two shows and makes little effort to mix up the set list which means really you don't need to go to that many shows.Of course the outro's are a little different each time but thats not really enough.I have been mugging up on BD so that i have a vauge idea of whats going on in the second half of the evening and its interesting how he dips all other his catalogue and most shows have an element  of uniqueness to it although you could argue his songs are a lot less complicated to play than MK's.

Rollergirl

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 08:09:46 AM »
I actually understand Mark in this situation. I for one would have been freaked out. Plus when they use the term "get a lifer", even jokingly, it still says a bit about what they think about fans like that.

EDIT:

Sorry, that came out bit wrong. I didn't mean to say that Isaac IS a "fan like that". But when Mark sees the same person in the audience for the whole tour, I'm sure the Rudiger alarm goes off.

Totally agree, Isaac seems to be a "normal" guy, even if what he did is weird, but acknowledging him would only encourage weirdos....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 09:33:51 PM »
Issac was living the dream.How many of us would loved to have done what he did.

I like Isaac a lot so this isn't meant as a criticism, but I wouldn't. I would enjoy travelling, seeing new places and meeting new people.

But frankly even as a big MK fan, there is no way I could sit through what is basically the same show, night after night.

Also, and this is the main thing, I have people who would miss me if I was away for that length of time. And I would miss them. :)

So no, not my dream, but good luck to Isaac, I look forward to meeting him again in Glasgow.

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 09:14:45 PM »

Quote: "Issac was living the dream.How many of us would loved to have done what he did. "

I asked myself that question also a few times and I think that I wouldn't be able to do what Isaac did. Even not when I would have time enough and money to pay the transport, hotels and tickets! ;) With traveling I am always afraid that I will be too late at the airport or trainstation, so I think it would be too stressful for me and I don't have the energy to run from one city to the other. Although having said this, I would LOVE to meet so many fans as Isaac does! ;D

I am glad that Isaac does the traveling for us and keeps us informed about what is going on with him and of course with Mark and the band. I loved reading his experience during the tour and especial when he visited Amsterdam last year! He made me laugh out loud talking about entering the Heineken Music Hall the first evening and his story about "Hagelslag"!  ;D It was nice to meet him twice and I am sure looking forward to read his blog again! ;D

Fieneke
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 01:27:57 AM »
I'm surprised how many of you call his writing style "great". It is certainly very appealing for fans to read (which is a good thing) but I wouldn't call it "great". No offense intended (again), but if your profession required reading LOTS of articles everyday and writing them, you would certainly have a different understanding of "great" writing. Isaac once explained to me how he did not want to follow any rules and keep the roughness in the writing, which I understand; still, from a journalist's point of view, I wouldn't have published the diary that way. You HAVE to stick to certain rules if you publish something - the art is how to learn to use them so that your style still stays unique. Which is something Isaac didn't want to do or couldn't do. Hence his blog is great fan entertainment, but not great writing. Just MHO of course.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 01:46:36 AM »
Well, thats a technicism (from a journalist) that I totally understand and respect. But as a reader, I enjoy a lot that direct style, so for me is great  ;D

And, I also LOVE your writting style  ;)
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 48 queries.