Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Isaac  (Read 21223 times)

OfflineWaterline Man

• Lady writer
Re: Isaac
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2011, 09:41:14 PM »
A nice friendly guy with a millionaires pocket & a bookies pen ie its not top notch but it does the job,which is all he wants anyway.I thought MK could have done something to acknowledge him on the GL tour though,even if he says that's not what he wanted,MK can be a bit cold that way but I suppose there's loads of mark Chapmans around :P
If it aint broke dont fix it!

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2011, 10:55:33 PM »
Isaac's blog is a nice and entertaining diary, nothing more

well, yes, who said it was more?

It was the "great writing" comment that got me started. Sorry for that, but I had to.  ;)

Yes it is great writing because he has some natural talent. Simple as that, even he does not follows the orthodox rules of how to write a good article.

This is only mho and I am not expert in good or bad writing. But i'd definitivley like to be able to write as Isaac do.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2011, 12:00:56 AM »
Isaac's blog is a nice and entertaining diary, nothing more

well, yes, who said it was more?

It was the "great writing" comment that got me started. Sorry for that, but I had to.  ;)

Yes it is great writing because he has some natural talent. Simple as that, even he does not follows the orthodox rules of how to write a good article.

This is only mho and I am not expert in good or bad writing. But i'd definitivley like to be able to write as Isaac do.

No. That's your pink MK fan glasses view talking. You have to find your own style if you want to write.

I understand your point of view but again, this is only your subjective opinion as an MK fan. And again, nowhere have I said the "rules" of writing a good article are orthodox. And we could argue about the definition of natural talent, too, but let's just leave it at that. If you're happy reading Isaac's blog, please continue to do so. But don't say his writing is great, or he is a role model for others. You aren't objective if you say that, because you said it yourself, you're not an expert in good or bad writing. You are an MK fan and judge things from an MK fan point of view. Which isn't necessarily bad, but not a measurement. Sometimes it helps putting down your fan glasses for a while.  ;)

Love Expresso

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2011, 11:20:59 AM »
No. That's your pink MK fan glasses view talking. You have to find your own style if you want to write.

I understand your point of view but again, this is only your subjective opinion as an MK fan. And again, nowhere have I said the "rules" of writing a good article are orthodox. And we could argue about the definition of natural talent, too, but let's just leave it at that. If you're happy reading Isaac's blog, please continue to do so. But don't say his writing is great, or he is a role model for others. You aren't objective if you say that, because you said it yourself, you're not an expert in good or bad writing. You are an MK fan and judge things from an MK fan point of view. Which isn't necessarily bad, but not a measurement. Sometimes it helps putting down your fan glasses for a while.  ;)

I was really trying to keep out ot this thread and discussion furthermore because I am able to see where it would lead me but now I really must say your last post is quite arrogant. What exactly is it that you are after? Do you want to hear saying us that your writing style is better? I don't get it, sorry. I love Isaac's writing style because it IS great. Now comes Mrs. Goldenheart and says, sorry, you are wrong, it is not great, because I am a journalist and I know what is great and what's not. Lots of us, most of us are grown-up and are able to put down the fan glasses if necessary. If Isaac is able to catch us with his blog and making us return for the next entry, well, he can write.

I would never have brought up the term "journalistic" but "literary", because journalism is not automatically covering everthing that is written and published - even if most publishers and magazines today want to make us believe that. The basic roots of human communication is narration, from the earliest days at the fire. Blogging is just one of many other forms that used to be street ballads or epic in the past. Mark once talked about the "printer's ink" that you have to have in your vein, and for me that's it: There are so many young people out there trying or wanting to be a journalist because they think wow that could be a cool job and I won't have to get up too early in the morning, and there are others who WANT to write - I think Isaac is part of the second fraction. So could you please stop telling us what's wrong and what is right when it comes to I like or I like not. And how could ds1984 not be subjective, this is a fan forum, when I am not allowed to utter my subjective opinions I see no sense in it anymore. And reading your last lines implies you feel yourself as an expert in good or bad writing - or as an institution that detects "natural talent"?

Feel free to rebuke me for this post, Goldenheart, but maybe before you do so, read it twice and maybe there is one or two things in it that you could think of being true.

I know it's Sunday today but I had to say that.

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2011, 12:25:34 PM »
LE - Thanks for that.  You put it much more eloquently than I could ever have done! 

There are many people on this forum, who go to work/college/university everyday, but I have no idea what each of you, apart from one or two, do for a living, neither do I particularly want to know.   This is an MK fan forum and I feel we should leave our daily jobs/professions behind, as much as possible, when we are here.  Nobody is more important than anyone else!    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2011, 02:07:44 PM »

I was really trying to keep out ot this thread and discussion furthermore because I am able to see where it would lead me but now I really must say your last post is quite arrogant. What exactly is it that you are after? Do you want to hear saying us that your writing style is better? I don't get it, sorry. I love Isaac's writing style because it IS great. Now comes Mrs. Goldenheart and says, sorry, you are wrong, it is not great, because I am a journalist and I know what is great and what's not. Lots of us, most of us are grown-up and are able to put down the fan glasses if necessary. If Isaac is able to catch us with his blog and making us return for the next entry, well, he can write.

What on earth is wrong with you, LE? Why do you call me arrogant, just because I tried to put things into consideration? Where did I say my writing style is "better"? I did not. I even said I don't claim to have a great writing style, it takes years of learning. And I'm not willing to take your insult just because my profession allows me to put things into a different perspective. Yes this is a fan forum but it must also be allowed to utter criticism. To be really honest, it worries me that MK fans become passionate followers of someone who just entered our fan circle one year ago, never participated in any discussions, never traded bootlegs, never made silly comments about Mark's hair or whatever. He decides to do something strange - follow MK for the entire tour, which is great, and he writes about it, which is fine - but then he publishes it in book form, signs them and send them out to his fans who admire his writing style, and he enjoys being famous. Sorry, but I do have a massive problem with that, and they way fans admire him in such a naive way. I said it it before - twice - it's fine if you like Isaac's blog but it is NOT a measurement for great writing just because YOU or others say so. Mind you, I know other fans who share my views about Isaac - they are just not on this forum anymore, for which I cannot blame them - and for the record, they are not journalists.

I would never have brought up the term "journalistic" but "literary", because journalism is not automatically covering everthing that is written and published - even if most publishers and magazines today want to make us believe that.

See, here lies the problem. As I've said before - maybe you should read my posts more carefully - This is just not true. Journalism is indeed a term that covers officially published written things. There are qualilty standards every mag and publisher has, which is a good thing. Because if there weren't, every idiot could come and say hey, I've written some great blog, I must publish it in book form or whatever, it's great writing. Do you want to read a newspaper everyday which contains nicely written stories, subjective and full of prejudices?

The basic roots of human communication is narration, from the earliest days at the fire. Blogging is just one of many other forms that used to be street ballads or epic in the past.

I don't argue with the first part, but the second part... Well, you can exaggerate everything, can you.

Mark once talked about the "printer's ink" that you have to have in your vein, and for me that's it: There are so many young people out there trying or wanting to be a journalist because they think wow that could be a cool job and I won't have to get up too early in the morning, and there are others who WANT to write - I think Isaac is part of the second fraction.

Sorry, but that's just plain ridiculous. You want to know how my working day looks like? I work up to ten hours every day, I have appointments in the evening and I often have to work at the weekend. Working twelve days in a row is not unusual. But I don't complain because I love my job. Isaac is just a self important jerk who blogs and entertains. Of couse he wants to write. But to compare it with the motivation of my colleagues is just inappropriate.

So could you please stop telling us what's wrong and what is right when it comes to I like or I like not. And how could ds1984 not be subjective, this is a fan forum, when I am not allowed to utter my subjective opinions I see no sense in it anymore. And reading your last lines implies you feel yourself as an expert in good or bad writing - or as an institution that detects "natural talent"?

Again, nowhere did I tell anyone what's right and what's wrong, or even that I am an institution? Again, why on earth would I claim to be that?? And again, being subjective is fine, but you also have to be open for criticism. Which I think you and quite a few others here don't seem to be, otherwise you wouldn't call me arrogant etc. You would have thought about what I wrote about Isaac, no matter if I'm a journalist or a garbage man or whatever. It's a pity this doesn't seem to be possible. For me, this discussion is over. Go on and read Isaac's blurps if you wish, I will ignore further praises of his "great writing", and naive fanboy comments.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 02:50:30 PM by goldenheart96 »

Love Expresso

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2011, 03:05:14 PM »
[  Go on and read Isaac's blurps if you wish, I will ignore further praises of his "great writing", and naive fanboy comments.

You see?

LE

Jackal

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2011, 03:36:13 PM »
Can't you just agree to disagree, for Pete's sake? Goldenheart doesn't like Isaac's style, Love Expresso does. What's the big deal? This is not Palestine.

Love Expresso

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2011, 04:20:31 PM »
Thanks. You are right. I am happy to close this unpleasant stuff for my part. Goldenheart already did, so everything is fine. Wish I would be able to put it in such a short and incisive form as you did.  ;)

Btw., the conclusion of your post could mean that Goldenheart doesn't like Love Expresso (anymore). :disbelief  ::)

LE
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 04:28:42 PM by Love Expresso »

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2011, 04:59:01 PM »
Well yes, let's leave it at that. I think we have made our points clear.
No personal animosities were intended from my side; so it was just a healthy disagreement - as I said, I just felt the need to put things into perspective here.

Let's listen to some Dylan now, shall we, LE?  ;D

Jackal

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2011, 05:11:02 PM »
Oh boy! I feel like playing Ren and Stimpy's "Happy Happy Joy Joy"! ;D

I've had my portion of Dylan for today. Back to Cooder and Chavez Ravine. What an album.

My favorite track:

Rollergirl

« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2011, 05:38:14 PM »
I love this forum, we can disagree, it can get animated, and then we all love each other again  ;D

Jackal

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2011, 05:44:43 PM »
GROUP HUG!  :-*

Rollergirl

« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2011, 06:40:15 PM »

Love Expresso

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2011, 06:46:21 PM »
I like Ry Cooder. I think I'll write a blog...

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 56 queries.