Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: boring repetative set lists  (Read 27686 times)

Offlinearabia

• Camerado
boring repetative set lists
« on: October 16, 2011, 06:49:25 PM »
How is it that Mark shows such utter disregard to the many who see more than one show this tour?

Folks pay 70 - 80 pounds per show on top of their travel and lodging fees to follow Mark, why is it that he chooses to ignore their presence and play the same show almost every night?

Why does he disregard his fans who collect live recordings by giving them the same show nightly?

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: boring repetative set lists
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 06:54:14 PM »
How is it that Mark shows such utter disregard to the many who see more than one show this tour?

Folks pay 70 - 80 pounds per show on top of their travel and lodging fees to follow Mark, why is it that he chooses to ignore their presence and play the same show almost every night?

Why does he disregard his fans who collect live recordings by giving them the same show nightly?

OK, firstly he isn't considering the less than 1 percent of an audience who may be attending multiple shows, he's catering for the thousands who will only see one.

Nobody forces people to see multiple shows, he's been doing the same thing for 30 years so anybody going is likely to know what to expect.

I'm quite certain he doesn't give a fuck about people who collect bootlegs, although he has always had a liberal policy on taping, at least audio.

And quite frankly I'm disgusted by Dylan treating his fans with contempt by playing the same two encores every night, just who does he think he is? ;)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Rollergirl

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 07:09:18 PM »

OK, firstly he isn't considering the less than 1 percent of an audience who may be attending multiple shows, he's catering for the thousands who will only see one.

Nobody forces people to see multiple shows, he's been doing the same thing for 30 years so anybody going is likely to know what to expect.

I'm quite certain he doesn't give a fuck about people who collect bootlegs, although he has always had a liberal policy on taping, at least audio.

And quite frankly I'm disgusted by Dylan treating his fans with contempt by playing the same two encores every night, just who does he think he is? ;)

Dusty has said it all

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 07:10:34 PM »
I've never paid more than
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 07:10:50 PM »
It's obviously a set they have found that works, so why change it?

Also, playing the same songs night after night will enable the band to find something in the songs and change and perfect them.

Mark never plays anything he doesn't want to just to please the crowds because he feels he has lost the incentive to play them now.

He's only on stage for a little over an hour and does change his set sometimes:

Bonaparte/A Night In Summer
Why Aye Man/What It Is
Speedway/So Far Away (lol)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinearabia

• Camerado
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 07:12:04 PM »
So you believe he 'isn't considering' a segment of his fan base who see multiple shows, and he 'doesn't give a fuck' about those who collect live recordings of his show?

And you are OK with that?

"Mark never plays anything he doesn't want to just to please the crowds because he feels he has lost the incentive to play them now"

So he doesn't play for the pleasure of his fans but does what he wants ie: Mark being Mark?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 07:14:54 PM by arabia »

Rollergirl

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 07:13:42 PM »
So you believe he 'isn't considering' a segment of his fan base who see multiple shows, and he 'doesn't give a fuck' about those who collect live recordings of his show?

I am. He can't please every one so he chooses to please himself, which pleases most people. I am pleased  ;D

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 07:16:11 PM »

I am. He can't please every one so he chooses to please himself, which pleases most people. I am pleased  ;D

We can also recognise the songs he is singing at a reasonable volume that doesn't destroy our hearing!   ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 07:17:37 PM »
If Mark is playing songs that he doesn't want to play then he'll get grumpy and stop touring. There is nothing worse for an artist to play something you don't want, and I respect that. His playing and singing is better than in years so why should I complain?
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

OfflineHophead

• Camerado
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 07:21:05 PM »
It's obviously a set they have found that works, so why change it?

Also, playing the same songs night after night will enable the band to find something in the songs and change and perfect them.

Mark never plays anything he doesn't want to just to please the crowds because he feels he has lost the incentive to play them now.

He's only on stage for a little over an hour and does change his set sometimes:

Bonaparte/A Night In Summer
Why Aye Man/What It Is
Speedway/So Far Away (lol)
Add "Haul Away" to the list of songs he is 'not' moving in and out of the setlist
Doctor parkinson declared Im not surprised to see you here<br />Youve got smokers cough from smoking, brewers droop from drinking beer<br />I dont know how you came to get the betty davis knees<br />But worst of all young man youve got industrial disease

Offlinearabia

• Camerado
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 07:24:04 PM »
OK I was just having some fun with you. It is obvious that 'Bob being Bob' in regards to fanatically guarding his privacy and space was a bother to some, so I was just wanting to point out that 'Mark being Mark' was also an ongoing phenomena and that it appears to be accepted by most here. ;D ;D ;D

Rollergirl

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 07:26:35 PM »
OK I was just having some fun with you. It is obvious that 'Bob being Bob' in regards to fanatically guarding his privacy and space was a bother to some, so I was just wanting to point out that 'Mark being Mark' was also an ongoing phenomena and that it appears to be accepted by most here. ;D ;D ;D

;D
but it was an interesting question, as many here (and on GF forum  :-\ )do moan about the setlists being what they are.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 07:27:17 PM »

Cheers arabia!    ;D    ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OnlineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 07:27:49 PM »
I'm ok with him not changing the set lists night to night, I'd be more critical that his last 2 tours and this mini one have consisted of the a lot of the same songs.  Still that's better than nothing at all.

Offlinearabia

• Camerado
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 07:33:25 PM »
I'm ok with him not changing the set lists night to night, I'd be more critical that his last 2 tours and this mini one have consisted of the a lot of the same songs.  Still that's better than nothing at all.

It does make collecting bootlegs easier. It didn't take me long to figure out that I only needed one or at most two shows from his previous tours to have a complete collection.
I still remain mystified that an artist with a healthy back catalog of songs would prefer to not play them. :-\

I like what he is playing now, although I would prefer Speedway over So Far Away From Me, and I am only seeing one show so my grumbling is restricted to my interest in collecting recordings of shows.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.031 seconds with 42 queries.