Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: boring repetative set lists  (Read 27670 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: boring repetative set lists
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2011, 09:48:08 PM »
As a sidenote to this..I don't think that anyone here could have possibly predicted that Mark would omit both SOS and R&J off of the setlists. As guy said on his forum..Mark wanted to change things up a bit. 

Yeah, I really thought the set would be DS heavy. To have no DS at all in Dublin was pretty incredible.

As someone on ER pointed out, pretty funny that people over there expected MK to be playing the hits and Bob to be playing rare stuff, but the opposite happened. :)

Then... Bob is Mark and Mark is Bob?

:lol :lol :lol
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineandychap

• Guitar George
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2011, 10:11:58 PM »
I don't post very often but read this forum everyday and felt that I needed to comment on this thread. I attended the Nottingham concert this week and have seen Mark on every tour he has done since 1990 (Nhb's). I don't care what he plays as I consider it a privilege to hear him play. We should be grateful that he is continually making new music and touring with a superb band giving us the opportunity to see one of the greatest guitarist and lyricists that ever lived. Please remember that it is impossible to please everyone all of the time but in my opinion he is giving it a good try.

Love Expresso

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2011, 10:17:43 PM »
I don't post very often but read this forum everyday and felt that I needed to comment on this thread. I attended the Nottingham concert this week and have seen Mark on every tour he has done since 1990 (Nhb's). I don't care what he plays as I consider it a privilege to hear him play. We should be grateful that he is continually making new music and touring with a superb band giving us the opportunity to see one of the greatest guitarist and lyricists that ever lived. Please remember that it is impossible to please everyone all of the time but in my opinion he is giving it a good try.

Hi Andy! It took me the last tour to finally understand this! The show I attended was so great that I left the venue and I knew that even when he would do a tour ever again (and that was not too certain a little while after the tour, remember Guy's moving words at the last night) I would be totally satisfied if MK would play the same set again in 2012/2013, as long as he would play it so well and with such a capable band. Since then, my "fandom" got into a new dimension: I am totally happy and aware about the fact that it is a bless for us still to be able to follow him. Now that he has put out such a great tune as Privateering, I am in heaven! So to make a long story short, I agree totally with every single word of your nice post!  ;)

LE
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 10:22:43 PM by Love Expresso »

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2011, 10:19:47 PM »
I used to complain about MK only playing two songs from the new album in the two latest tours... I went to a Clapton show last year and he only played one song from his last album, so I guess two is not so bad  ;D

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2011, 10:39:49 PM »
i do not like mark playing safe mode.
there i said it.
then again, on wednesday, i will be in antwerp, and he will play friggin sonny liston, i will wield my arms and sing along. coz i'm a get-a-lifer, innit?
he may well fart over the phone and record it on a dictaphone, and i would still be paying to go watch the maxell CR cassette of that being played (no sound)
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Love Expresso

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2011, 10:41:30 PM »
...and send the link to Guy!  :lol

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2011, 10:41:59 PM »
i do not like mark playing safe mode.
there i said it.
then again, on wednesday, i will be in antwerp, and he will play friggin sonny liston, i will wield my arms and sing along. coz i'm a get-a-lifer, innit?
he may well fart over the phone and record it on a dictaphone, and i would still be paying to go watch the maxell CR cassette of that being played (no sound)

Someone close the door, there is a troll knocking!!!!

;D ;D ;D

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2011, 10:51:09 PM »

+1

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2011, 12:16:51 AM »
It has nothing to do with playing safe or being "in a safe mode", Pottel. You keep saying that all the time, but that doesn't make it more true. Music isn't like that. MK doesn't need to play safe. He does what he does because he choose to. It's like an ideology. And if you watch him closely, you can see that he is consentrating extremely hard when he is performing, so it's not that he makes it easy for himself.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2011, 08:00:43 AM »
It has nothing to do with playing safe or being "in a safe mode", Pottel. You keep saying that all the time, but that doesn't make it more true. Music isn't like that. MK doesn't need to play safe. He does what he does because he choose to. It's like an ideology. And if you watch him closely, you can see that he is consentrating extremely hard when he is performing, so it's not that he makes it easy for himself.

agree, partially, but come on, he is MK, he can play in his sleep (his own words) and still outplay 99,5% of all players worldwide (David G. is that 0,5%, with some others like Leo Kottke, Richard Thompson, Ry Cooder etc..)
i am convinced that it is down to his perfectionist nature, nothing else,...isn't  there some EC quote about mark rehearsing like a maniac? compared ot EC who apparently doesn't?

Love Expresso

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2011, 08:05:19 AM »
I think that has changed in the last years. Phil Palmer said something similar, but that was back in the OES days. The 1996 tour sounded indeed like MK
rehearsing "like a maniac", but since then I am sure he has scaled that level down a little bit. Two weeks rehearsal to get in a complete live set seems not too much?

LE

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2011, 01:33:37 PM »
I'm principally a Dylan fan, having attended several dozens of his shows over the last 40+ years, but I have also attended very many DS, NHB and MK concerts, over the last 20+ years.  I have also attended three concerts by The Straits this year. To make my perspective clearer, I preferred the NHB and MK concerts to the DS concerts.

When I go to an MK concert, I know that I will get pretty much the same set list night after night, with possibly the odd variation. Over the years, I have got used to this and accept that this is What It Is. Whilst my personal preference would be for more variation in song selection, it's the performer's choice and should always be the performer's choice. The question of bootleggers is irrelevant in this regard because they will record whatever the performer chooses to play, whether the songs be common, uncommon, one-offs, with or without guest musicians or whatever. If MK chooses to keep pretty much to a pre-set set list, so be it. I do find the repetition of the same between-song comments and jokey words somewhat irritating but I don't really attend shows for those anyway.

Dylan also genrally works to a pattern on a tour, albeit a pattern that is less set than Mark's and with a much wider song selection during the course of the tour, pulling in songs from the past almost at random, on occasions. There are, though, two factors to bear in mind when making a comparison between these two artists. First - Dylan tours each and every year and plays more shows in a year than Mark does, so he needs to vary things a bit, almost for his own sanity. Second - Dylan has a much wider choice of self-composed songs on which to draw than Mark has. In addition, Dylan has been known to play a lot of songs he has not himself written, though less frequently in recent times. [There is, incidentally, a book devoted solely to the subject of the songs Dylan has sung but not written - and it runs to a few hundred pages!]

I might add that Dylan does not always play and sing the same song the same way on successive nights, whereas Mark largely does. Neither approach is more valid or invalid than the other; it's just different and we should respect the artist's preference.

The result of this difference of approach to concerts, as I have written elsewhere in this forum, is that MK is consistent but largely predictable, whereas BD is less so.

Though I have only attended one show on this tour so far (with three more to come), I have seen a number of reports from other shows and it is clear that, by and large, Dylan fans consider that Dylan has been more consistent in his performance, from one show to the next, on this tour than some of his previous tours - even with the greater degree of song variation.  Generally, if you go to a BD concert, it can be pot luck (terrific one night but disappointing the next) whereas attendance at a MK concert will invariably reveal a well rehearsed, perhaps a touch too slick, concert.

Finally, I'm less sure that MK has the same degree of "work ethic" as BD but maybe that discussion is for another day.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2011, 02:22:12 PM »
thnx tem, always like the way you analyse things. now about that last sentence, i am not sure in what direction you wanna take that one? :-)
anyways, did you happen to see the bournemouth show? or did you stay up north for the Glasgow show(s)?

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2011, 02:34:11 PM »
Personally I would pay whatever to listen to whatever he has to play and think the majority on here agree with me.
Answer this: How can a true fan ever get bored of anything Mark plays? after all he can't play the same lick quite the same as the other night!

I certainly don't get bored having seen numerous shows on his tours night after night.
Perhaps its only the bootleggers that are p*****d off with this arrangement?
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineGeordieboy

• Local Hero
  • Forever Mark
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2011, 02:43:52 PM »
Yup, Bob is Bob and that is why I am not a fan of Bob! ;)

Mark is Mark and that is why I am a fan and admire him for his music and the person he is!  ;D

Fieneke

...Music to my ears.  ;D

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 42 queries.