Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Concert #9:2011.10.17, Bercy, Paris, France # SPOILER AHEAD #  (Read 20387 times)

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Concert #9:2011.10.17, Bercy, Paris, France # SPOILER AHEAD #
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2011, 11:26:40 PM »
What is wrong with bob? :-X
14 songs only?

14 songs its his standard setlist since the tour started...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2011, 11:27:39 PM »
No way, he must be I'll,shingles or something, poor old man...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2011, 11:31:30 PM »
I left a bit before the end to avoid th

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2011, 01:12:40 AM »
Back home ! What a night... As promised, here is my review.

I was lucky enough to meet Isaac and to have a good chat with him about his trips. Very nice guy indeed !
Isaac as usual managed to get a seat at row #1 - I was only row #14, center stage. The view was very good anyway.
Mark stayed on stage for exactly 1 hour 13 minutes - the time is pretty tightly controlled ! No band introduction, almost no speech, straight to the point.

I decided to record the show in a poor manner - just using the voice memo app on my iphone and going stealth. The result is not that bad, please let me know if you are interested.

As people noticed in other show, some Dylan fans came late and disturbed the audience while seating. Not very nice, but we had to bear with it...

I really hoped "Why Aye Man" as an opener, as I never got a chance to see it live... But no, just like last year, the concert was kicked-off by "What It Is". However, the disappointement was quicly forgotten: this version was energetic as hell ! Mark was in top form, standing and even dancing, the flute did not take over the guitar as in the Simfy recordings, and we got quite a few powerful licks, reminiscent of the 2001/2002 versions...awsome ! Ian Thomas' druming was very energetic too, a little bit more than Dany's.

Then I was lucky to hear "Cleaning My Gun", which I could not hear last year. Quite a powerful version as well.

A good version of "Sailing to Philadelphia" followed; I got the impression in the end that Jim was out of sync and got a strange look by Mark, but maybe I got it all wrong...

"Hill Farmer's blues" was as gorgeous as always, very powerful outro solo.

"Privateering" was the highlight of the show, I had heard it before thanks to the recording that was posted, but hearing live was quite a treat. The song has really great potential.

Then we got into a section that I found a bit disappointing: Mark had a short speech to thank Bob for the invitation, and to say "we are going to do some new songs", leading me to think that we would get more than one... He said "I think we have done this one in Paris last time, I'm pretty sure"... Then the band played "Done with Bonaparte", a not-so-powerful version, in C key rather than D like last year, and I thought "why is he saying that ? DWB was played in almost every show last year, not only in Paris...". I got the explanation with the next song, which was "A Night In Summer Long Ago", which was the special feature of Paris show last year; this version was fine, but I couldn't help thinking that I would have prefered to get the new "Haul Away" song rather than the one I already got last year in the same venue... If the same songs are always played in the same venue, I will have to travel to hear some new ones ! :) Finally, third disappointement, "Song for Sony Liston": not only I dislike the song (dull and boring to me), but also it was played with Mark's new blue guitar, which sound was highly distorted. Not for my taste...

Luckily, the end of the concert was terrific again: a fantastic Marbletown, which I'm quite sure was extented compared to 2010, with a lot of interaction between Mark and John, the audience was thrilled. After it was over my heart beat increased: will we get Speedway ? will we rock ? Yeees ! When I heard the familiar intro I was really happy. During the song the "run of bulls" (as copyrighted by Isaac) started, and people rushed off to the stage. I chose to say where I was, the view and sound were excellent anyway....

Speedway's finale was breathtaking, highly energetic, not too fluty, very good version ! After this the crowed begged for some more. The band pretended to have a meeting to decide on what to play... I was really hoping for "Brothers in Arms", but we got "So Far Away" instead; oh well... it was well played, people were cheering, very good atmosphere ! We tried hard to get the band back on stage, but they would not listen - Mr Bob can't wait !

Talking about Mr Bob - I had read and heard plenty of horrors about him. Just before the show Isaac was telling me that Bob would be dull, boring, loud to death, with no voice, and that I would not stand it more than 5 songs. I told him "well, I don't want to die as an idiot... I would not have come just for Bob, but now that I'm here and that I have paid for it anyway, I will give it a try". So, expecting the worse, I was a first pleasantly surprised. True, the guy has no voice anymore, I challenge anybody to understand a single word of what he is singing... but the band is nice, the energy level good, they seem to enjoy themselves, so, at the beginning I did not use the ear plugs I had just bought, and enjoyed the show. After a while, though, I thought something was missing. Not only Mark did not come on stage for a song together, which I think was a shame, but also, I got the impression to get the same song over and over, and my ears started to suffer. I left one or two songs before the end, to avoid the mess, with no remorse.

Indeed a good show, albeit with only one new song from Mark... great mood, great energy, so nice to see him moving around just like in Alchemy time... short show but good overview of his solo career... As of Bob, well, I knew next to nothing about his music before tonight, I'm glad to have discovered him, although the level of excitement was nowhere near what Mark generates; well, at least for me, the Dylan fans in the room seemed so much more motivated and cheering that we were as MK fans, there were all standing from beginning to the end...

I still don't see the point of a Knopfler / Dylan concert if there is no interaction between the two. I would have prefered by far getting 3 hours of MK ! Well, next time... :)

Love Expresso

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2011, 07:53:49 AM »
Thanks very much! For sure the detailed, best review so far!  :)

LE

Rollergirl

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2011, 08:10:04 AM »
Ah Bercy... I went to my first DS gig there... memories...
Enjoy!
Same for me.
And you?
Yip, 25th April  I think (could be 24th)
25th also.
They played Iron Hand on the night I attended.

Then I was there on the 24th, because I didn't see you  ;D

Rollergirl

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2011, 08:14:28 AM »
very nice review herlock! thanks

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2011, 11:14:34 AM »
Ah Bercy... I went to my first DS gig there... memories...
Enjoy!
Same for me.
And you?
Yip, 25th April  I think (could be 24th)
25th also.
They played Iron Hand on the night I attended.

Then I was there on the 24th, because I didn't see you  ;D

I was thinking almost the same "otherwise we would have met then..."
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2011, 11:29:14 AM »
Great review Herlock.

Many similarities with my own experience the day before.

Interesting point :

R&J 10 minutes
SOS 10 minutes
TR 15 minutes
BIA 10 minutes
Total : 45 minutes

Current show : 75 minutes

Grand total : 120 minutes

So this reduced setlist don't miss that much stuff compared to a standard one.
As a long time MK concert goer I can easily live with these classics DS song being not played.
We could hope for maybe  one more solo track but not much more.

But the thing that get me some frustration is when Mark choose from an album the songs I like the less (the "oh no not that one syndroma") and left out the ones I would be happy to hear.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2011, 07:38:43 PM »
A short review (in French):  http://www.concertlive.fr/breves/10881/mark-knopfler-salue-a-bercy-bob-dylan-decrie
The gist is that Mark conquered Bercy whereas Bob failed to impress... ;D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 01:01:04 AM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Love Expresso

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2011, 08:43:07 PM »
Wot no concert tonite? :o  Boooooring...

;D

LE

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2011, 08:55:15 PM »
A short review (in French):  http://www.concertlive.fr/breves/10193/bob-dylan-et-mark-knopfler-en-concert-a-bercy-billets-en-vente-fin-juillet

The gist is that Mark conquered Bercy whereas Bob failed to impress... ;D

Correct link is this one?

Mark Knopfler salu

Offlineknopflerized

• Romeo
  • I might Get Lucky ...
    • Mark In Summer Long Ago
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2011, 08:57:54 PM »

Well I'm not sure I could do a better a review than Herlok

So I can tell you that I of course loved  Mark's concert.  I had a very good seat , Row#1 in the very middle...Thank u Isaac for sharing ;-)
The atmospher for MK wasn't that warm in Big Bercy (which usually is for MK gigs), I could feel that most of the people were here for Bob Dylan's show.

My feelings with the songs:

What It Is
I thought I was spoiled with Why Aye Man as opener... So I wasn't

Cleaning My Gun 
I didn't expect this one at all ! A pretty good surprise and a very very good and powerful version

Sailing To Philaldelphia
Just lovely as Always

Hill Farmer Blues
POWERFUL INCREDIBLE it will always give me SHIVERS

Privateering
Big Surprise again, I heard there were  new songs played on the this tour. I liked it very much !

Song For Sonny Liston
Blue Les Paul? Oh Well why not...... OF course it was nice but I think I prefer it from the older tours

Done With Bonaparte
Not a surprise, Many people think it should be dropped...This is a song I used not to like before 2010... Now, i love it( better later than never).

A night in summer long ago
For those who know my feeling for this song.... No! I didn't cry, I was surprised but it wasn't the same "shock" as last year Maybe I was prepared..( He payed it also in Paris in 2010).

Marbletown & Speedway At Nazareth
Again  great  performances !

So Far Away
The good bye song... I may dare to say... i'm a  little tired of this one.. Would have prefered another.

I'm very positive on this concert, yes it was short but I knew it i didn't expect much! I had great time with MK and his Band...

About Bob Dylan...Well  :disbelief
Several people warned me about the loud sound and Bob's "bad" voice...
I recall bad memories of my first Bob concert's in 2003... But i felt like staying to "give him another chance".
When the concert started everybody rush to the stage gates it was a complet mess...
As I was seated on the very left of Big Bercy (my official seat). I couldn't see anything...
I left after 4 songs... I don't wanna tell bad things about Bob, I respect the artist... but i'm sorry i really didn't like.

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2011, 12:20:19 PM »
More quality from Bercy:-
Check out the Lille thread for more.....

Jackal

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2011, 12:48:59 PM »
Love the fact that not only Mark's amps, but also John's little Fender and Richard's Voxs are clothed with the same red tolex. Someone has a vanity spot.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 46 queries.