Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Guy's Forum  (Read 595692 times)

LoveExpresso

Re: Guy's Forum
« Reply #1020 on: July 31, 2014, 10:09:33 PM »
According to Guy's forum answer from today: no Eric Clapton contribution on Mark's new record although he was at BG for the JJ project.

Thank god for that. I don't want to have an MK album being polluted with EC guitar.

LE

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #1021 on: July 31, 2014, 10:15:27 PM »
Too bad EC is not playing. One of the players that I suppose having a studio collaboration seems quite natural. Good thing we have these JJ songs and the live recordings!
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #1022 on: July 31, 2014, 10:52:53 PM »
According to Guy's forum answer from today: no Eric Clapton contribution on Mark's new record although he was at BG for the JJ project.

Thank god for that. I don't want to have an MK album being polluted with EC guitar.

LE

Probably a good thing bearing in mind EC's penchant for having his guitar volume higher than anyone else's and his insistence on beginning and ending every musical interchange.  ::)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #1023 on: August 01, 2014, 11:09:56 AM »
This album project stays kind of mysterious to me. I've the feeling of a very, very short band session and a very long term of just Mark an Guy doing some stuff (no clue at all what stuff). That can't be the whole story... What is Guy keeping secret?

LoveExpresso

« Reply #1024 on: August 01, 2014, 11:51:12 AM »
Interesting, isn't it? It seems Richard is indeed not on board this time.

Remember, a song like Redbud Tree was recorded only from Mark and Guy basically, with some overdubs from PF. Also songs like River of Grog don't need a lot of band attribution.. True Love Will Never Fade is another example, just acoustic guitar, laid over lead guitar, that's it. Ian and Glen are there, so the rhythm section is the same as usual. And Mr. Molsky is seen with an acoustic on a pic or two, too!

I mentioned earlier that I expect the typcial MK antagonism work to his last album... an intimate, more or less real solo session... some folk stuff will be inevitable, I just hope it won't be too much... I loved the live version of Baloney Again for example, only the Man and an electric guitar.. would be great to have stuff like that. I can live with no Richard on the next album (he wasn't on Kill To Get Crimson, too), but it would really be a mess if he would also be kicked out of the tour band.. .

LE

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #1025 on: August 01, 2014, 01:00:26 PM »
You're right. Folk will be in, transam-session-like songs as well. i hope that there are some rock riff songs in it, too. Always like a mixture of slow and fast, nice and aggressive, but i fear ... hm?
There are still some unreleased songs of the privateering record. Maybe they use it now?

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #1026 on: August 01, 2014, 02:51:44 PM »
Probably a good thing bearing in mind EC's penchant for having his guitar volume higher than anyone else's and his insistence on beginning and ending every musical interchange.  ::)

I see what you mean, but Duane won against Eric at the end of Layla, having the last lick, known as "bird singing"  :)

LoveExpresso

« Reply #1027 on: August 01, 2014, 03:13:14 PM »

Referring to my last post, Gator Blood and Song For Sonny Liston are other examples - I mean the live versions... little three piece, with only Glen, Ianto and Mark on Sonny, or Gator Blood with only Glenn, Guy and Ianto... just want to say that good energy and rock songs with a lot of guitar not automatically have to be played with the full band...

Not sure about the old songs though.. a song once rejected, has it really hard to get on the next album normally... songs like Secondary Waltz or 5:15 AM with a very long evolution are only proving the rule..

LE

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #1028 on: August 02, 2014, 02:03:54 PM »
Only Mark and Guy in the studio, and no guest appearence by Clapton despite being in the studio... :think

I'm getting Kill to get Crimson vibes. And I don't like it.

Offlinewayaman

• Camerado
« Reply #1029 on: August 03, 2014, 12:01:11 PM »
Ktgc... I love it. Good record and great tour full of surprises.

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #1030 on: August 03, 2014, 12:44:24 PM »
Ktgc II  ???

Noooooooooooo :'(

Let's rather hope for a transatlantic inspired mix between GH and RPD. Should sound fantastic  :)
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #1031 on: August 03, 2014, 12:53:24 PM »
I tend to think that KTGC is a sleeper. After my initial thought that it is tiring, I tend to think that it is good, but for quieter moments.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #1032 on: August 03, 2014, 02:37:21 PM »
Ktgc... I love it. Good record and great tour full of surprises.

I like it too - there's a certain aura about it that takes me back in time.   The KTGC tour was, in effect, an RPD tour -  beautiful songs, many heard for the first time live, from that album.    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #1033 on: August 03, 2014, 03:18:19 PM »
KTGC?  Oh yeah I think I remember that.  Wasn't that the tour where John McCusker didn't get his work permit on time and missed the start of the North American leg?  The album's not exactly burned out through over play though!  More likely I'd have to dust it off.  As vgonis said: "sleeper."  And in more ways than one for me.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

LoveExpresso

« Reply #1034 on: August 03, 2014, 03:59:17 PM »
To see it more positive, maybe MK has the same approach as in 2006/2007 with Kill To Get Crimson nowadays but also thinks the result back then wasn't too satisfying in a certain way. And so he tries it once more.

I agree that you easily can call Kill To Get Crimson a weak record. I like it nevertheless. But it has a somewhat sterile aura and really sounds as the opposite of session-played tracks on, let's say, Privateering or Shangri-La...

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 44 queries.