Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Recording a concert very soon...  (Read 12732 times)

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
Recording a concert very soon...
« on: October 28, 2011, 02:45:57 PM »
Hi
I have the option to borrow this new piece of conference audio hardware.
The Jabra SPEAK 410 that claims to provide crystal-clear audio with true wideband sound quality.

"The powerful speaker and built-in omni-directional microphone offer a 360-degree coverage allowing conference participants to hear and be heard within a 1 to 2 metre range."

The other IT guys who has this for a test says its very very good, and when I heard it play I was very surprised by good quality.

Has any of you recorded with such a fellow ? ;-)   its a combined speaker with omni-directional microphone.

I will test it soon if I can workaround how to save the recordings on some USB device, without walking to the concert with a laptop under my arm, which will probably block my entry to the concert ....

Any advice or tip is welcome.

cheers peter
http://comfortcanada.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/jabra-speak-410-uc.jpg

« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 02:48:19 PM by peterromer »
Cheers Peter

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
Re: Recording a concert very soon...
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 04:38:54 PM »
No, I haven't, and I'm not sure if you have recorded shows before or not, but ...

I am not a techie person at all but my gut feeling is to avoid an omni-directional microphone. Yes, it will be more tolerant if you move position a bit but, surely, you'll pick up a great deal of the audience noise, too. Logic suggests a directional microphone, pointed at the loudspeakers. Of course, you should seek to avoid moving a directional microphone around too much, as the volume of sound that it picks up will change even with a slight sideways movement.

Also, try to get the microphone as high as possible. Just as an experiment, try this the next time you're standing at a show. Get yourself in a good position where you can hear pretty well and then, bending at the knees so you stay vertical, slowly lower yourself. Very soon, the volume and clarity of sound go down markedly. Microphones that sit on your ears can be very effective. Grateful Dead fans, in the recording area set aside for the purpose, would even put their microphones on poles above the general audience. I have never seen this myself but someone told me that there could be a small forest of poles with mikes atop them at GD concerts.

Sorry if this is "teaching Granny to suck eggs".

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 05:15:31 PM »
If you are going to record any concert avoid omnidirectionals, its the way to avoid the claps, screams, talking etc etc of everybody behind you. Its more difficult to avoid the people before you, but its a best way.

I heard abour cardiods microphones, and other kind of. When I download any recording I always check the gear used so maybe you can have a look to the last MK & BD recordings anc check the gear using google.

My favourites are some cardiods that have two mics with clips, that you can clip on your shirt or jacket, very subtle and then you
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinearabia

• Camerado
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 05:31:24 PM »

I'm planning on sneaking this bad boy into the last night at Hammersmith, in my trousers of course, can anyone recomend the best place to stand to record a MK show?

Offlinenaif

• Camerado
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 05:34:50 PM »

I'm planning on sneaking this bad boy into the last night at Hammersmith, in my trousers of course, can anyone recomend the best place to stand to record a MK show?
You should go on stage with this monster arabia :lol

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 05:36:38 PM »
Thanks very much guys. I read on some other recording forum that omni was good to capture high sounds, but that was wrong now I can see.
very good to know.
I will test it, and see if anything good comes out of it or if the other technies ;) have some other equitment. I would never bother to do this if we had Simfy but this is probably not the case this time.

Very interesting. The cheapest H2 is 1500 danish kroner which is not cheap ... :(   but quality is of course at a price.

Arabia: I would PAY to see you do that   ;D ;D ;D
Cheers Peter

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 05:45:34 PM »
In my case what I

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 06:07:08 PM »
Thanks very much guys. I read on some other recording forum that omni was good to capture high sounds, but that was wrong now I can see.
very good to know.
I will test it, and see if anything good comes out of it or if the other technies ;) have some other equitment. I would never bother to do this if we had Simfy but this is probably not the case this time.

Very interesting. The cheapest H2 is 1500 danish kroner which is not cheap ... :(   but quality is of course at a price.

Arabia: I would PAY to see you do that   ;D ;D ;D

Have a look around on ebay; they often have quality used stuff around.  Marantz seem to make among the best ones around but as usual the more you spend, the better the result.  The PMD 660/661 models are great as they have inputs for xlr mics and phantom power (something to look for).  I always had a hankering years ago for a DAT walkman  8) and they are dirt cheap now but not really practical, although the sound quality is still pretty good today.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 06:12:45 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 06:50:04 PM »
But that mic entries are not the standard ones for the kind of mics we were talking about, aren

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 07:21:30 PM »
But that mic entries are not the standard ones for the kind of mics we were talking about, aren

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 08:18:27 PM »
The quality of any recording is as good as the weakest link in the chain and, in my opinion, the microphones are the key.

If you can bear with me, I'll tell you a little story. Actually, it's quite a long story but it is relevant to this subject. It will take a while to tell. About 20 years ago, Dylan played two standing-only concerts in the smaller hall at Glasgow's SE+CC.  For various reasons (which make an interesting story in itself), I had managed to get myself two "freebie" tickets each night - except I didn't get tickets at all. I had to present myself and my guest at a particular booth and was then walked in to the venue by a member of staff. The first night went fine. The person who had arranged this turned up early and walked us in almost as soon as the ticket holders were let in and we were in the middle, almost on the barrier itself - not in the first row but not in the second but sort-of between the two. We both had a perfect view of what was a slightly odd show in some ways. Anyway, the next night, I took my son along. This time, the booth in question was not opened early and the ticket holders piled in. By the time the two of us were walked in, it was impossible to get close to the stage. We decided instead to stand towards the rear of the hall, against the barrier which protected the sound desk, which was itself right at the rear of the venue. Slowly, the place filled up until the only way to get from one side of the hall to the other was a path in front of us. Many people passed by, moving from left to right or vice versa. At one point, people I knew came by and complained that, while their microphones had got through the security check, their tape recorder had not. My son had brought along a small Sony radio cassette machine. It was not even mid-range quality. It cost, probably,

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 08:38:34 PM »
i have no complaints whatsoever about the simple Tascam DR-05 i bought and used for the OBerhausen, Antwerp shows as well as for the Roger Waters D
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 09:13:12 PM »
I just bought this one, looks like a great mic to record well hidden in the audience

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIDIRECTIONAL-CARDIOID-TIE-CLIP-LAVALIER-MICROPHONE-/280459038059

Searching the web I found that lavalier mics are from Sennheisers
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 09:25:48 PM by jbaent »

Offlinearabia

• Camerado
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 10:02:01 PM »
I just bought this one, looks like a great mic to record well hidden in the audience

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIDIRECTIONAL-CARDIOID-TIE-CLIP-LAVALIER-MICROPHONE-/280459038059

Searching the web I found that lavalier mics are from Sennheisers

So how do you get it to point forward on a tie clip? do you have to stand facing 90 degrees from the stage? :lol

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 36 queries.