Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Recording a concert very soon...  (Read 12731 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Recording a concert very soon...
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 10:08:23 PM »
The clip moves around  ;)
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 01:35:55 AM »
The quality of any recording is as good as the weakest link in the chain and, in my opinion, the microphones are the key.

If you can bear with me, I'll tell you a little story. Actually, it's quite a long story but it is relevant to this subject. It will take a while to tell. About 20 years ago, Dylan played two standing-only concerts in the smaller hall at Glasgow's SE+CC.  For various reasons (which make an interesting story in itself), I had managed to get myself two "freebie" tickets each night - except I didn't get tickets at all. I had to present myself and my guest at a particular booth and was then walked in to the venue by a member of staff. The first night went fine. The person who had arranged this turned up early and walked us in almost as soon as the ticket holders were let in and we were in the middle, almost on the barrier itself - not in the first row but not in the second but sort-of between the two. We both had a perfect view of what was a slightly odd show in some ways. Anyway, the next night, I took my son along. This time, the booth in question was not opened early and the ticket holders piled in. By the time the two of us were walked in, it was impossible to get close to the stage. We decided instead to stand towards the rear of the hall, against the barrier which protected the sound desk, which was itself right at the rear of the venue. Slowly, the place filled up until the only way to get from one side of the hall to the other was a path in front of us. Many people passed by, moving from left to right or vice versa. At one point, people I knew came by and complained that, while their microphones had got through the security check, their tape recorder had not. My son had brought along a small Sony radio cassette machine. It was not even mid-range quality. It cost, probably,
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, 02:52:44 AM »
No, not 1995 but 1991, as I recall. The bootleg was a 12" vinyl LP and didn't have the complete show.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2011, 02:55:15 AM »
before i lose face here, pls confirm that it is this one then:

Bob Dylan 1991: The Second Fastbreak Tour
11870 Hall 3
Scottish Exhibition And Conference Center
Glasgow, Scotland
3 February 1991

no source information available

DISK 1 ----- 38:55
1. Unidentified instrumental (?)
2. Subterranean Homesick Blues
3. What Was It You Wanted
4. Watching The River Flow
5. Positively 4th Street
6. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight
7. Gotta Serve Somebody
8. Bob Dylan's Dream
9. Ballad Of Hollis Brown

DISK 2 ---- 43:21
10. Boots Of Spanish Leather
11. Mr. Tambourine Man
12. Under The Red Sky
13. Just Like A Woman
14. Political World
15. I Shall Be Released
16. Like A Rolling Stone

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2011, 02:09:20 PM »
That looks like the one to me. I would guess that the CDs you list were taken from the recording that appeared later. The bootleg LP only had about two-thirds of the show. It had a white sleeve with a 1984 concert photo on the front, as I recall. It is currently stored but I'll check it out and let you know.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2011, 06:30:21 PM »
twm, thank you for the great story. Some times I think that they worth more than the actual music they are about!

Pottel, you can never lose face. After all you are in a MK site, and BD fans that come over are probably less fanatic than you. ;) And did you remember all these by heart, or did you look these up? ;)
By the way, I can send you my recording from Athens 2008, it is an unedited recording, including both 45 minutes before the show and about an hour after(I started it way before to concentrate and then I completely forgot it) . I am afraid it is a poor recording since I was standing way front, by a speaker,  and it is lossy too. I can also send you high resolution photos from the same event. (as a matter of fact you can see same of them in my facebook page.)
If you can fix it somehow (or you want it anyway)  I will be glad to send it to you, by sendspace maybe?

Arabia, you can pass by security anything. You have to break it down in many pieces and give it to many people and then reassembly it.

By the way, anybody got to see MK up close and get an autograph or something?
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2011, 11:47:39 PM »
or distract security with a large bag or backpack, which contains harmless stuff, and meanwhile walk the recording device in your pocket, works always. they'll go for the bag like flies go for shit..

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2011, 12:02:45 AM »
or distract security with a large bag or backpack, which contains harmless stuff, and meanwhile walk the recording device in your pocket, works always. they'll go for the bag like flies go for shit..

Thankfully this very technique has worked for MK but not for Godspeed you black emperor. Then I could not enjoy the show as much, because i was worried about my equipment. But I guess it works most of the times. ;)
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2011, 12:28:20 AM »
Hi
I have the option to borrow this new piece of conference audio hardware.
The Jabra SPEAK 410 that claims to provide crystal-clear audio with true wideband sound quality.

"The powerful speaker and built-in omni-directional microphone offer a 360-degree coverage allowing conference participants to hear and be heard within a 1 to 2 metre range."

The other IT guys who has this for a test says its very very good, and when I heard it play I was very surprised by good quality.

Has any of you recorded with such a fellow ? ;-)   its a combined speaker with omni-directional microphone.

I will test it soon if I can workaround how to save the recordings on some USB device, without walking to the concert with a laptop under my arm, which will probably block my entry to the concert ....

Any advice or tip is welcome.

cheers peter
http://comfortcanada.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/jabra-speak-410-uc.jpg

I wouldn't recommend this even if you could pull it off with a laptop. It may provide good sound quality for voice communications, but I doubt it would be able to handle the high sound pressure levels of a live amplified concert. It would probably distort pretty quickly.

I use two Audio-Technica U853 cardioid mics for taping, with a Denecke PS-2 phantom power supply and a Edirol R-09HR recorder. I've made some good tapes my gear...and also some bad tapes. But the Audio-Technica's are good mics for the money and I do recommend them- I think they sound just as good at times as the more expensive mics from DPA, Neumann, or Schoeps that are commonly used for "low profile" taping. They are also very small.
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2011, 09:34:01 AM »
Thanks Dan
Its much appreciated and gets me closer to whereas I should do it or not. I will borrow it today and test it in the evening and tomorrow.
If I can get it to work with a USB disk device and save some data, I might do it, just because I am curious. When I see the names and descriptions on all you guys recording equipment I want them also  :D   but I dont have money for these things bacause I do not record that much. I just want MK shows and he probably turns up only once every (second) year or something... ;)

This equipment I can lend for free and maybe its a bad idea. That is also a good reason to be in this forum. To get a bad idea bombed ;)

cheers Peter
Cheers Peter

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 36 queries.