Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Concert #33:2011.11.21, HMV Hammersmith Apollo, London, UK, # SPOILER AHEAD #  (Read 92229 times)

Offlineallen

• A Mark in Time
  • Founder
  • Romeo
  • La KnopflerTK
    • A Mark in Time
C#33 London

AMIT atendees:-  

Marky49, Arabia, Jabbathehut, gavlar, tvm

Set List

What It Is
Cleaning My Gun
Sailing To Philediaphia
Hill Farmer's Blue
Privateering
Sonny Liston
Haul Away
Marbletown
Brothers In Arms
Speedway At Nazareth
So Far Away

Bob Dylan's Set list

1 Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat (Mark on guitar, Bob on keyboard)
2 It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (Bob and Mark on guitar)
3 Things Have Changed (Bob center stage, Mark on guitar)
4 Spirit On The Water (Bob on keyboard and harp)
5 Honest With Me (Bob on guitar)
6 Forgetful Heart (Bob center stage on harp)
7 The Levee's Gonna Break (Bob on keyboard)
8 Man In The Long Black Coat (Bob center stage on harp)
9 Highway 61 Revisited (Bob on keyboard)
10 Desolation Row (Bob on keyboard)
11 Thunder On The Mountain
12 Ballad Of A Thin Man
13 All Along The Watchtower
14 Like A Rolling Stone
(band into)
15 Forever Young (Mark on guitar)
(end of show)
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

Offlinegavlar

• Guitar George
Secretly hoping MK does the full set with BD as its the final show and there is no runner required...what do ya reckon, wishful thinking?

Rollergirl

there is no runner on the Saturday and Sunday either... I can't see that happening. Maybe he'll come back on for the encores, but the whole set, no, I don't think so. Happy to be proven wrong though!  :)

Offlinearabia

• Camerado
As this is the only show I'm seeing, it's the final night of a splendid tour AND most importantly my birthday  ;D I'm hoping that we get 5 songs with Mark in the beginning of Dylan's set and joint encores. Bob has several songs that Mark could really let loose on to close the tour. Wishful Thinking. :) :)

OK and to add to my dream, Mark doesn't end his portion of the tour with So Far Away From Me, but rather ignites the Apollo crowd with the only SOS of the tour.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 09:10:27 PM by arabia »

Offlinegavlar

• Guitar George
I too wondered whether SOS might get an airing - for Alchemy memories sake! :-)

Offlinejabbathehut

• Camerado
I am sure they can go till 11pm so maybe mark can do 12 songs and we can finish with everyone on the stage for of rousing knocking on heavens door.
we can only hope

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
As this is the only show I'm seeing, it's the final night of a splendid tour AND most importantly my birthday  ;D I'm hoping that we get 5 songs with Mark in the beginning of Dylan's set and joint encores. Bob has several songs that Mark could really let loose on to close the tour. Wishful Thinking. :) :)

OK and to add to my dream, Mark doesn't end his portion of the tour with So Far Away From Me, but rather ignites the Apollo crowd with the only SOS of the tour.

Yeah, hope you had a phenomenal birthday! All the best wishes!
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

Offlinearabia

• Camerado
Only three short people between me and Mark's mic stand. :)
Shaping up to be an epic birthday.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Hope you all have a great time tonight - and arabia a great birthday gig!  :D   
Goin' into Tow Law....

Rollergirl

Only three short people between me and Mark's mic stand. :)
Shaping up to be an epic birthday.

ask them to move! it's your birthday!  :)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Exciting stuff. Happy birthday.

What a great tour. :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
Hey Arabia, Happy birthday! It is my older daughter's birthday as well. And a little gift, in case you don't, already, know it. From the Uncut newsletter by head editor Alan Jones:

Uncut      
Uncut
Monday 21st November 2011

Hi there,

I'm not sure what happens on Saturday towards the end of the first night of Bob Dylan's three shows at London's Hammersmith Apollo. Suddenly, though, he's blazing through one of the songs he traditionally reserves for encores, "All Along The Watchtower", with no break between it and the roaring version of "Ballad Of A Thin Man" that normally you'd have expected to be the show's climax, the band then taking a well-deserved bow and a quick break before coming back for one, two or three more songs, further lapping up of the crowd's applause prior to a final wave goodnight, perhaps even a nod from Bob in the general direction of a crowd he otherwise doesn't go too far out of his way to acknowledge. Looking at set lists going back over the last few months, this seems to be the current way with Dylan, playing everything he's going to play without going through the ritual rigmarole of pretending you've done with your evening's work when everyone knows you haven't really finished. I guess if you're bringing down the house, why stop until the roof caves in and all is rubble around you, at which point you make your exit, job done and proverbially dusted.

Anyway, what a hot show this turns out to be. The last couple of times I've seen Dylan have been in fields, at the Hop Farm Festival in 2010 and this summer, on a wet and windy Sunday in Finsbury Park, and the time before that at the O2, where even from reasonable seats Dylan seemed to be playing in a separate postal district. Good as these shows were, Hop Farm particularly, it was a thrill to see Dylan again in a somewhat more intimate setting, more suited than the great outdoors to the kind of roadhouse ruckus you would even more prefer to hear in some sweaty club where the distance between band and audience is even smaller and you can smell the guitar strings burning, a sweet but unlikely dream.

Anyway, Saturday's show is in a high gear from the start, a slutty "Leopard-Skin Pill Box Hat", the first of four songs featuring Mark Knopfler, who'd earlier opened for Dylan, back on stage, joining Charlie Sexton and Stu Kimble on guitars, with Dylan vamping at a suitably stripped-down keyboard set up, behind which, throughout, he jives, hilariously. Knopfler stays on for a wonderfully delivered "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right", illuminated by Donnie Herron's plangent lap steel parts, and a version of "Things Have Changed". The latter is brightly enlivened in its new Tex-Mex arrangement and in the evening's first major surprise is followed by an unexpected, beautifully rolling take on "Mississippi", from "Love And Theft", the first time I've heard it played live.

"Honest With Me", a much less celebrated song from the same album, but a pretty constant part of Dylan's repertoire over the last decade, is then sensationally dispatched, Dylan stalking the front of the stage with a hand-held microphone, like a carnival barker, whipping up the crowd for the appearance of a two-headed woman or some similar eccentricity in a creepy burlesque freak show. The evening's unforgettable twin highlights quickly follow - "The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carol", played as something approaching an austere waltz, with a succession of liquid solos from Sexton and a mournful instrumental coda featuring an extended harmonica and mandolin duet that's quietly sensational. For ages now, one of the pinnacles of Dylan sets has been "High Water", whose place is taken tonight by a similarly dramatic arrangement of "The Ballad Of Hollis Brown". This is truly frightening stuff, whose daunting atmosphere you could describe as supernatural, something spooked and haunted, Dylan's vocal making you shiver like a cold wind coming off a bleak and inhospitable territory, a place of abandoned hope.

It's a relief when Dylan turns then to a tender "Make You Feel My Love", reclaimed from Adele and distinguished by another great guitar solo from Charlie Sexton. The hardy "Highway 61 Revisited" is utterly frantic by comparison and has rarely sounded so exciting, especially during the guitar-keyboard face-off between Sexton and a clearly grooving Dylan. We are returned to more sombre places with a hypnotically-paced "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall", Herron's mandolin again prominently featured. "Thunder On the Mountain" is splendid, but sounds at times rushed enough to make you think Dylan can't wait to get to grips with what follows, which is a hugely melodramatic "Ballad Of A Thin Man", made quite eerie by the echo on Dylan's vocal, a novelty for Bob.

After this, it's a ceremonial procession through "All Along The Watchtower", Sexton unleashing all the firepower at his disposal over the band's tidal roar, a bruising "Jolene", from Together Through Life, and the inevitable but never unwelcome "Like A Rolling Stone", Dylan and crew heading for the wings, mission accomplished and all that.

Adios for now.

Allan 
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Obviously Allan Jones isn't a Knopfler fan!   I wonder if he even bothered to be there for MK's set!   :-\
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
Really no idea, about Allan Jones being a fan. He is quite respected since he's been in the business since the early 70ies, with NME and MM. And truth be told, Uncut is very good. The only mag I buy monthly. (this is not an add. I just can't stand Q, and Word and Mojo are quite good, but a bit expensive and some times repetitive).
Anyway, I can only imagine that DS on their heyday were in the same bag as Genesis (sorry dusty, but not my opinion) and other groups for late baby boomer. Usually music journalists, try to see 10 years ahead, and they miss the good music, in place of "original" (like there is parthenogenesis) and "influential" (that is a big leap of faith) and "revolutionary" (this music is not broadcasted). But really I don't know about Allan Jones' opinion for our man.   
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Even if he's not an MK fan, he could have managed a few words about MK's part of the show!   It just seemed a very one-sided review imo! 
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 41 queries.