Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: #26:2012.11.12 Grand Rapids, MI, Van Andel Arena, USA # SPOILER AHEAD  (Read 19481 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
#26:2012.11.12 Grand Rapids, MI, Van Andel Arena, USA

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=830

http://expectingrain.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73026

AMIT attendees:
diremark86

Setlist
Different from previous show in RED

Mark Knopfler

1.What It Is
2.Corned Beef City
3.Privateering
4.Yon Two Crows
5.I Used to Could
6.Song for Sonny Liston
7.Done With Bonaparte
8.Hill Farmer's Blues
9.Brothers in Arms
10.Marbletown
11.So Far Away

Bob Dylan
1. You Ain't Goin' Nowhere
2. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (with Mark Knopfler on guitar)
3. Things Have Changed (with Mark Knopfler on guitar)
4. Tangled Up In Blue (with Mark Knopfler on guitar)
5. Rollin' And Tumblin' (with Mark Knopfler on guitar)
6. Visions Of Johanna
7. High Water (For Charley Patton)
8. Spirit On The Water
9. Highway 61 Revisited
10. Mississippi
11. Thunder On The Mountain
12. Ballad Of A Thin Man
13. Like A Rolling Stone
14. All Along The Watchtower

(encore)
15. Blowin' In The Wind

« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 10:24:33 AM by jbaent »
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinearabia

• Camerado
Re: #26:2012.11.12 Grand Rapids, MI, Van Andel Arena, USA # SPOILER AHEAD
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 12:59:15 PM »
Now that Bob and Mark have resumed their joint appearances of last year, I feel sad for those who went to earlier shows when they didn't play together. :( :(

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 03:10:46 PM »
Now that Bob and Mark have resumed their joint appearances of last year, I feel sad for those who went to earlier shows when they didn't play together. :( :(

That is the lack of respect from Krusty we talked about in so many threads... He knows that he enjoys it, so why spend so many concerts without inviting him?

The lesson is... If MK and Krsuty do this again, never buy tickets for the firsts shows, wait until the last ones...

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 11:27:52 PM »
Oh dear, not this question of "disrespect" again! I will ask you two questions. (1) When Mark has a support act, how much time does the support act get to play? 70-75 minutes? Not that I can recall!  Generally, more like 30 minutes. (2) When does Mark have a support act of similar stature to himself? Not that I can recall on the shows I've attended.

As for the suggestion of which shows to attend, should the two tour together again, you simply cannot pre-judge what Dylan will do or not do. You may be right or you may be wrong but, if that's your future strategy, you could well be caught out out. After all, I fully expected to get to hear a smattering of songs from TEMPEST  but, so far, there have only been two songs from the new album so far, each performed once only in over 25 concerts.  It goes to show you never can tell.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 11:50:35 PM »
Someone I know who attended this show said that the sound was so bad in the arena that even Mark and band sounded like sludge. It'll be interesting to know if the recordings bear out this observation.

He also said he couldn't make out Mark's lyrics but pointed out that he is not all familiar with the songs and that someone who was familiar with them would have got a lot more from them than he did.  He referred to Privateering and  Sonny Liston.

He commented that he respected Mark for not playing his hits, unlike some of the drunks in the audience. However, he himself found Mark a low-key performer playing music you just sit back and listen to.

He said that it was unfair to compare the two bands because Mark's band is about musicianship, whereas Bob's band is just about following Bob. He thought that Mark complemented Bob really well, filling the spaces beautifully but noted that whoever was playing lead guitar (and that included Mark) would spend much of the time staring at Bob trying to work out where he was going next, musically speaking.

He also said that, while acknowledging the growls, Dylan worked hard to put the songs across, with quite a few interjections in the lyrics. For example, after "You thought they were all kidding you" in Like A Rolling Stone, he interjected, "But they weren't".

Just thought you might like to know.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 09:19:57 AM by twm »

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 12:24:42 AM »
comment from over on ER:
My friend's father is a very far up in the chain of command for Dylan, though I don't feel comfortable precisely stating what he does for our grand leader. So I was approached at about 4:00 today to go to Grand Rapids with free backstage passes from him. Hell yeah, right?

We get there and we're given the grand tour. We're then shuffled into the buffet room, where I'm given free rein on some of the most delicious food that I've had in a while. Brussels sprouts, goat cheese, Corn Flake Tofu, Butternut Squash soup, and, (ESPECIALLY) the Banana Foster. I had at least thirds or fourths of everything, it was that good (coming from a guy around 130 lbs, to give you the picture).

At my table was Donnie Herron, who is a genuine guy. Very receptive to questions, stories, etc., Told us all about his grandchildren, and that him and Bob had just bought some vintage fishing lures in Minnesota. Great guy.

I also met Mark briefly (who's plane arrived very late), Stu (we talked about deserts), Barron (pretty cool), and Tony (very busy).

Show: Got seated in the soundboard area for Mark's seat. His set was very good, just under appreciated by a crowd clearly hungry for Bob. Donnie had indicated that Mark was his favorite opener since his time with Bob started, and I can kind of see why. A lot of great multi-instrumentalists who were clearly open to experimentation of the music. Though the setlist didn't change, the music was still very high quality. He was very jammy, which is something I actually appreciated. Privateering was the highlight from Mark.

Dylan: Okay, I snuck a peak from the set managers set list, so You Ain't Goin' Nowhere was not a surprise. But then the music hit, and it was a lot less intense then the other handful of times it's been used as a opener. Tony was A LOT lower in the mix than was normal, the tempo was slower, and it almost fit for the mood of the song. The same could ultimately said about Visions. Mississippi was a treat, a bit better than the first time I saw it in Toledo.
Highlight: Possibly Rollin' and Tumblin... there was a pretty good interplay between Mark's lead and Bob's piano.

Overall: pretty mediocre show. Better than the last show I went to (Toledo '11), but still not as good as Kalamazoo '08.

Sorry if none of this made sense... it's late. Hope you had a good time reading it as much as I enjoyed the concert!

nice to hear donnie say that!!
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 09:23:41 AM »
And just to prove that you never can tell, Dylan tosses in a third song from TEMPEST.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 09:51:51 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Onlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 03:41:34 PM »
In the posted reviews i can see that BIA and SFA was played but do we have a full setlist ::)

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 08:53:46 PM »
Oh dear, not this question of "disrespect" again! I will ask you two questions. (1) When Mark has a support act, how much time does the support act get to play? 70-75 minutes? Not that I can recall!  Generally, more like 30 minutes. (2) When does Mark have a support act of similar stature to himself? Not that I can recall on the shows I've attended.

This tours are supposed to be a double headed tour, MK and BD both have a reduced time, MK more than BD, but MK is not a support act.

A support act never ever affect the time the main act plays. Mk had support acts and its a plus, not the contrary.

But in a double headed tour, you reduce your set in order to fit. MK did, and BD too.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 08:55:36 PM »

By the way, the disrespect is with the fans that came to the first half of the tour, but Krusty decided they were not good enough to have him inviting MK to play in front of them.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 09:29:33 PM »
Oh, that's what Dylan "decided", is it?  Please tell me what more you know about his inner thought processes.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 11:45:37 PM »
Oh, that's what Dylan "decided", is it?  Please tell me what more you know about his inner thought processes.

mmmmmm, chiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiili

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 12:25:15 AM »
A response that was warmer than "chilly", anyway.

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 01:30:44 AM »

This tours are supposed to be a double headed tour, MK and BD both have a reduced time, MK more than BD, but MK is not a support act.

A support act never ever affect the time the main act plays. Mk had support acts and its a plus, not the contrary.

But in a double headed tour, you reduce your set in order to fit. MK did, and BD too.

I agreed with jbaent wholeheartedly.  I felt short changed to some extents that I didn't get to see Mark play with BD 4 nights I attended.  The show shouldn't have been about how Bob feels at what nights when he feels like inviting  Mark to join him on stage.  It's about being courteous to the fans and Mark also.  JMHO.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 38 queries.