Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The tour ended - Conclusions  (Read 59442 times)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Re: The tour ended - Conclusions
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2012, 11:27:17 AM »
My conclusion is, if you add the songs from 2011 tour that werent played in 2012, you get your full setlist for 2013.
I really hope not, because the one and only song that does fall into this category is Speedway. So this would mean no SoS, no R&J (well this one I could live without ;)), no TR (!!), no Border Reiver, no Piper. An horrible perspective !

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2012, 11:53:18 AM »
It is said that there are two types of driver on roads, both types impelled by words beginning with "sp" - some motivated by "speed" (the "go-faster" brigade) and others by "space" (concerned about stopping distances and the like).  Balancing the two is an important element in the skill of driving well.  Similarly ......

"Speed v. Space" seems to be a dilemma here, too. Balancing the two is also part of the art of perfromance.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2012, 12:53:56 PM »
On the tour, Bob's singing, as ever, came in for a lot of criticism but also his piano playing. I described it as "wayward" and "eccentric". Others pointed out that he sometimes played in a different key to the band. Although it's the band's job to go wherever Bob takes them, this is not always easy.

Anyway, I thought you might like to hear "Spanish Is The Loving Tongue", the B-side of a 45 rpm single released in but recorded in 1970):

It's  a lovely song, not written by Dylan, and don't you just love a name like Charles Badger Clark). There's a touch of Spanish in the song, too :  Mi amor, mi corazon".  Again, some rather eccentric piano playing but a version I always love to listen to. There is an inferior version on 1973's album "DYLAN" (no longer available on CD, I believe).

I was first aware of this song when I bought the 1964 paperback reprint of "A New Treasury of Folk Songs". Tom Glazer, who compiled the book, wrote: "My friend, Louis L'Amuor,  fine fellow, fine writer,  tells me he heard this in the Southwest many years ago. I heard it in the Northeast not so many years ago". (Louis L'Amour - another great name)

The tune is apparently by Billy Simon:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_is_the_Loving_Tongue

Sometimes, I wish Mark would do an album of cover songs.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2012, 01:11:52 PM »
Great song indeed. And his voice is out of tune, nonthe less. But it is still nice, without the "gravel" of the last 10 or so years.
The "Dylan" was issued on CD, I saw it one day when changing hands at a second hand store. I have it on vinyl, but it is the only one I don't have on CD.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2012, 08:08:02 PM »
Yes, the 1973 "DYLAN" album was issued on CD in Europe but never, to the best of my knowledge, in the USA. As far as I'm aware, it is no longer available officially in Europe. Dylan had left Columbia for Asylum Records and "DYLAN" was issued without any involvement from him - sometimes described as Columbia's Revenge.

"Spanish Is The Loving Tongue" has been issued on LP and then CD (on MASTERPIECES, a Japanese compilation that later was issued in Australia) and it sounds a heck of a lot better than on that YouTube clip. It was the piano-playing that I was highlighting - eccentric, perhaps, but effective.

There is a studio version of "I'll Keep It With Mine" where Dylan plays a "tack" piano. Again, by many conventional measures, his playing would be criticised but I've always warmed to it.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2012, 09:58:20 AM »

Sometimes, I wish Mark would do an album of cover songs.

How about an album of Dylan covers?    I loved "Restless Farewell" and, as MK is such a Dylan fan, maybe this could be a possibility.   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2012, 11:43:43 AM »
An album of Dylan covers would be a great place to start and, given the inclinations of quite a lot of Dylan fans, he'd probably get quite a few extra sales. However ......

Many other performers have done albums of Dylan covers over the years, starting as far back as 1964 (Linda Mason and not recommended). They include Joan Baez and Judy Collins, who might be expected, not to mention Barbra Dickson, who might not be expected until you remember her folk club roots. The Byrds and The Hollies were amongst the groups. Bryan Ferry and Phil Carmen amongst the solo performers - perhaps an odd track but a whole album seems unexpected from these. There have been EP CDs - Milltown Brothers and, overseas, Neidecken. Also abroad, Hughues Aufray (2 separate albums actually) and several from Spain ((J.M.Baule comes to mind). And you've got people who produced an album and a whole tour round Dylan songs (Steve Gibbons comes to mind, this time).

There are so very many of them, which may be a reason for Mark not to do it.

In terms of Dylan covers generally, there's even a separate Wiki on the subject and this is an incomplete list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_artists_who_have_covered_Bob_Dylan_songs

However, if I were to recommend one Dylan cover album, I'd probably go for  "Lo & Behold" by Coulson, Dean, McGuinness, Flint:     http://www.allmusic.com/album/lo-and-behold-mw0000616081

What about an album of Mark's "roots", musically speaking, which might include a few Dylan songs?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 11:51:14 AM by twm »

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2012, 11:50:47 AM »
And, on this website, I should have mentioned Tim O'Brien.

What would really distinguish a Mark cover album of Dylan songs would be the inclusion of songs not previously released by Dylan (and, even more, not previously covered by anyone else either).

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2012, 12:02:23 PM »
Whhat about an album of Mark's "roots", musically speaking, which might include a few Dylan songs?

Mark did a programme on BBC Radio 2 about 15 years ago called "Roots" in which he talked about the songs which have influenced his musical life.  I did record it and I still have the tape, but my very old tape deck is a bit rusty these days!    I do remember that a lot of the songs were those I have loved too, eg "Sea of Heartbreak" by Don Gibson and some Everly Brothers songs and I remember "Blind Willie McTell" was there too.   I will root out the tape and report back when I have listened again!   :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 12:31:58 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2012, 12:41:00 PM »
And two well known Dylan songs from Greece for good measure!

Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2012, 01:07:01 PM »
Just listened to the tape!   

Big Rock Candy Mountain - Burl Ives   (MK mentioned his love of hobo songs)
Freight Train - Nancy Whiskey  (He mentioned how much he liked whistling on songs and now we hear MK whistling on "River of Grog")
Some Enchanted Evening -  one of his earliest memories of his mum singing around the house, when he was still crawling!
Bring a Little Water Sylvie - Lonnie Donegan
The Three Bells (Little Jimmy Brown)
Because They're Young - Duane Eddy
You Never Can Tell - Chuck Berry
Hello Marylou -  Ricky Nelson
When Will I Be Loved - The Everly Brothers
Lonesome Number One & Sea of Heartbreak - Don Gibson
King of the Road - Roger Miller - Maybe the idea for Quality Shoe came from this song!
Blind Willie McTell - Bob Dylan

He mentioned hearing Blind Willie McTell songs whilst he was living in Leeds and that he felt the wheel had turned full circle when he eventually played on the Bob Dylan song "Blind Willie McTell.

Listening to that tape again, brought back many happy memories of my own favourites!   :)

Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2012, 01:51:29 PM »
I don't think Mark would ever do an album of covers, but if he did I think it would be full of obscure songs from the early 20th century.  Blind Blake and the like - such is his vast library of songs. :think
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 01:53:44 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2012, 02:26:38 PM »
I don't think Mark would ever do an album of covers, but if he did I think it would be full of obscure songs from the early 20th century.  Blind Blake and the like - such is his vast library of songs. :think

You're probably right, dmg.  Maybe some of the stuff he used to play with Steve in the old days!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2012, 04:23:14 PM »
Superval, was the "Roots" programme the one where he was interviewed by Jez Lowe?

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2012, 04:37:17 PM »
Superval, was the "Roots" programme the one where he was interviewed by Jez Lowe?

I can't remember, twm.  As I said, my tape deck is well past it's best!   In fact, I just tried listening again, but it now seems to have given up the ghost completely!   Sorry!    :disbelief
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 36 queries.