Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Gator Blood  (Read 14931 times)

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
Gator Blood
« on: December 22, 2012, 12:30:33 PM »
Any ideas what this song is about? Who's the main character?

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
Re: Gator Blood
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 09:54:49 PM »

I don't have an answer Rail King! Of many songs I need to find out the meaning, but I didn't have time yet to search for it!
Meanwhile I continue listening every day to the beautiful songs!  ;D

Fieneke
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 10:13:53 AM »
I always thought that it was about that tv shows where people hunt crocodiles in Florida... There are some tv programmes about it, so I always thught he saw it (or a tv advert of it) and caught his attention
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 11:34:44 AM »
Well it sounds American to me in it's use of language such as "film-flam man" etc.  It seems to me to be about the excess of eating and a "greedy man" preparing a huge amount of greasy food.  Just my idea.

The first thing I think of though is the scene in Live and Let Die when Sir Rog jumps over the crocodiles at the crocodile farm.  Brilliant! ;D
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 11:36:53 AM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 06:00:52 PM »
Thanks, I see. And what about the dancing chicken? Hot plate? Is he a cook or what?

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 01:53:56 PM »
Thanks, I see. And what about the dancing chicken? Hot plate? Is he a cook or what?

Well a "skillet" is a kind of frying pan so he seems to be preparing some sort of unhealthy foodstuffs.

As I said, it's my take but I could be way off!  Maybe someone else has another take on the song.

OfflineDCAce

• Guitar George
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 10:08:29 PM »
Definitely American -- in old time side shows and carnivals, you often saw "dancing chickens".....there was a hot plate under the "stage" to make the chickens "dance.

OfflineAl

• Guitar George
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 08:56:27 PM »
The song is about Coronel Tom Parker, manager of Elvis Prestley. Coronel was a semi-legal immigrant, almost a con-man, working in side shows. Then he met Elvis-"a country boy, a bird who sings", and reportedly made him (actually his parents) sign a horrendous contract. It practically put Elvis in complete dependence, while Tom got most of the money. Comparrison to a gator means that when the coronel got a hold of you, he won't let you go. Pretty much what he did to his most famous client.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 09:12:09 PM »
 :think

http://www.gatorblood.com

Yet another Elvis-related song then. ::)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 09:20:10 PM by dmg »

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 06:31:07 PM »
The song is about Coronel Tom Parker, manager of Elvis Prestley. Coronel was a semi-legal immigrant, almost a con-man, working in side shows. Then he met Elvis-"a country boy, a bird who sings", and reportedly made him (actually his parents) sign a horrendous contract. It practically put Elvis in complete dependence, while Tom got most of the money. Comparrison to a gator means that when the coronel got a hold of you, he won't let you go. Pretty much what he did to his most famous client.

Very interesting post!

OfflineDCAce

• Guitar George
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 07:19:54 AM »

You're too kind -- Parker wasn't semi, he was an illegal immigrant, and since he couldn't get a passport, Elvis only traveled when he was in the army because Parker couldn't take the chance of Elvis making friends or listening to professional advice from anyone. (Parker made him turn down all the offers, including a request from Queen Elizabeth for a Command Performance.  He also vetoed any film that would have required Elvis to go out of the country on location.)  Elvis was of age and signed a contract that gave half of everything to Parker.  His mother was against it, she disliked and distrusted Parker (smart lady).  Parker chose everything, from songs, to films scripts to Vegas only with money in mind.  What a waste of a talented young man's life......

Love Expresso

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 11:09:23 PM »
From Isaac Shabtay's Tour Diary from the show in Lodz, May, 8th:

Gator Blood was played again, this time with a short introduction by Mark mentioning that this is a song about a music manager.

LE

Mona Dee

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 08:01:11 PM »
I NEVER would have understood the lyrics without this forum. Thank You !

OfflineFenderBender

• Camerado
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 09:11:56 AM »

In Cardiff, Mark specifically mentioned that Gator Blood and Back to Tupelo were about Colonel Tom Parker.
As for the dancing chicken, when introducing Gator Blood Mark said that at one time Parker had a show where he would put live chickens on a hot plate so that they would appear to be dancing as they tried to keep their feet from burning. Sounds like he was a really pleasant chap!
This baker's boy from the West Country

Offlinerosco

• Camerado
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 12:25:52 AM »
The Col as previously stated was illegal in the US and THE reason Elvis never toured out of the USA.  The book Mk has read about the Col will have been Alanna Nashs book from a few years ago. In it,  she tells all these stories and also claims the Colonel fled the Netherlands after murdering someone. An excellent book.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 40 queries.