Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MK on the new Johnny Winter album  (Read 16828 times)

OfflineEl Macho

• Lady writer
MK on the new Johnny Winter album
« on: September 16, 2013, 12:03:04 PM »
They got a name for people like you, yeh they do
And they got a name for people like me too
El Macho, El Macho

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: MK on the new Johnny Winter album
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 12:19:04 PM »
If his latest collaborations are anything to go by I'm not building my hopes up.  IMHO he's taking part in too many of these pointless collaborations where he's completely wasted.  I don't even bother to get a copy any more, yet thinking back years ago they used to be something special.  Jimmy Nail's Big River springs to mind.  Brilliant.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineEl Macho

• Lady writer
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 01:01:43 PM »
Among his latest collaborations , MK is brilliant in a few of them :
Sonny Landreth: Blue Tarp Blues
Greg Brown : Flat stuff
Chris Botti : Wonderful world
Ruth Moody : Pockets
America : Sailing to Philadelphia
I don't always buy the album, most often I download (buy) the mp3 versions.
El Macho, El Macho

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 02:29:53 PM »
There are so many now, I can't keep track of all of them.  I tend to think that a lot of them are just favours for friends.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 11:54:54 PM »
If his latest collaborations are anything to go by I'm not building my hopes up.  IMHO he's taking part in too many of these pointless collaborations where he's completely wasted.  I don't even bother to get a copy any more, yet thinking back years ago they used to be something special.  Jimmy Nail's Big River springs to mind.  Brilliant.

Agreed. In the past couple of years, I can only stand up for the song with Chris Botti; the latest Jimmy Buffett's pearl; and Sarah, with Jon Allen. To me, all the rest is by the way...
Love over gold, mind over matter

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 12:44:00 AM »

Agreed. In the past couple of years, I can only stand up for the song with Chris Botti; the latest Jimmy Buffett's pearl; and Sarah, with Jon Allen. To me, all the rest is by the way...

Agreed too.  MK should focus on his own brilliant materials for us true fans.  :)

OfflineEl Macho

• Lady writer
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 12:35:48 PM »

Agreed too.  MK should focus on his own brilliant materials for us true fans.  :)

Sonny Landreth's Blue Tarp Blues is an amazing song, not to be by the way.
I also like Mark's solo in William Topley's  Sea Fever
Of course these songs are from more than two years ago...
El Macho, El Macho

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 01:13:29 PM »

Sonny Landreth's Blue Tarp Blues is an amazing song, not to be by the way.
I also like Mark's solo in William Topley's  Sea Fever
Of course these songs are from more than two years ago...
Just listened to Blue Tarp Blues for the first time. It's a great song and nice to hear MK rocking.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 08:43:23 PM »
really like his work on pockets.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 09:05:49 PM »
And the John Fogerty  was not a throw away. Reminiscent of the SOS riff!
The B.B. King collaboration was above average.
And the ones in the Sonny Landreth South 10 CD are good.
And how about the  Thomas Dolby one?
We should always remember that a collaboration on somebody else's album is always subjected to the wishes of the artist, whose name is on the cover. Some really go for the MK sound, some just use him as a reliable guitarist to express their vision. From the older collaborations, Steely dan's is one that comes in mind. With so many fantastic guitar players, they used MK and although he sounds like MK, Fagen and Becker were in total control.
By the way, on Aztec camera LP that he produced, I could swear I hear his playing in a couple of tracks, but since I can't find him in the credits as a player, most probably he showed the moves to the band.  They are more MK than MK!!!

« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 10:26:13 PM by vgonis »
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 09:16:59 PM »
17 hills is a great song

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 10:52:02 PM »
And the John Fogerty  was not a throw away. Reminiscent of the SOS riff!
The B.B. King collaboration was above average.
And the ones in the Sonny Landreth South 10 CD are good.
And how about the  Thomas Dolby one?
We should always remember that a collaboration on somebody else's album is always subjected to the wishes of the artist, whose name is on the cover. Some really go for the MK sound, some just use him as a reliable guitarist to express their vision. From the older collaborations, Steely dan's is one that comes in mind. With so many fantastic guitar players, they used MK and although he sounds like MK, Fagen and Becker were in total control.
By the way, on Aztec camera LP that he produced, I could swear I hear his playing in a couple of tracks, but since I can't find him in the credits as a player, most probably he showed the moves to the band.  They are more MK than MK!!!

Oh, yep, if qe go further back in time he has made great stuff with others. But yes, I have forgotten the John Fogerty thing. It's ok. Even if sometimes it sounds like an SoS pastiche, not the real thing. When I hear it, I always think John has asked "hey, Marko, please do something like SoS but in a way that i don't have to share song credits with you".
Love over gold, mind over matter

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 11:33:58 PM »
Still think of the collaborations as bonuses! I mean, if it wasn't for MK in the early days, I would have found out about Willy Deville, Randy Newman, Steely Dan, Aztec Camera, Gerry Rafferty and some more, much much later! I was introduced to all these great artists through MK and I enjoy them very much. May I suggest listening to Steely Dan's 70ies work. They are just a class on their own! Each album a masterpiece and I guess MK got something from them: caring about detail.

I was very surprised to see or find out retrospectively,  MK collaborating with some of the musicians I already had in my collection, such as Jimmy Buffett, Dandy Warhols, Kate & Ann McGarrigle, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, John Fogerty, Phil Lynnott and others. I wish he had an official recording with Steve Miller, David Gilmour, Gary Moore, Darren Hayman, Stuart Murdoch,  Tom Verlaine, to name just a few.

And don't forget that Buddy Guy contribution and the 2 Jools Holland pieces. Great!

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 11:57:55 PM »
Bill Wymans Dissapearing Nightly has some great guitaring from MK and its a good song,

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 12:26:43 AM »
How could I forget it! A former stone!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 38 queries.