Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dire Straits: The Complete Studio Albums 1978-1991 (8LP+Download)  (Read 24472 times)

OfflineJeroenvG

• Lady writer
  • Follow me on "twitter.com/vanDiemensLand"
    • Alles Muziek (Dutch)
Universal Music will issue a Dire Straits vinyl box set in November.

The Complete Studio Albums 1978-1991 (8LP+Download) will deliver all six of the band
"I could play my accordion And charm all of the women And dance round the taproom With a chair in my teeth"

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Dire Straits: The Complete Studio Albums 1978-1991 (8LP+Download)
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 05:36:33 PM »
Thanks for the info Jeroen.   :thumbsup

Not keen on the remastering they feel they have to do;  why can't they just leave it au natural as it was when it was recorded?  At least it would be authentic.  We are just getting further and further away from the original source.

Who are they aiming this at anyway?  Without any extras and in vinyl only it has a very limited appeal. :hmm

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 08:15:32 PM »
 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
straitsway75

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 10:43:37 PM »
..with bonus outtakes and alternate versions...
That's what I'd like to read!
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

OfflineIngo

• Camerado
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 10:46:53 PM »
LoG, BiA and OES were recorded digitally, and i doubt that it was with a higher resolution than the CD standard (16 bit, 44.1 kHz). Where is the sense then to press these on vinyl again?? Is not the only justification of vinyl to have the music without the information loss that goes along with recording digitally?
my Mark Knopfler guitar style website:
http://www.mk-guitar.com/

Love Expresso

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 06:56:19 AM »
The vinyl market is there obviously and it is growing.
Only last friday at work (bookstore) I was reading about a new edition from the radio play of "THE HOBBIT" from a very famous German recording from 1980 - box set, 7 vinyl discs, 70

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 08:19:29 AM »
..with bonus outtakes and alternate versions...
That's what I'd like to read!

+100 :thumbsup

and I am sure that it will sell more then

even if the market is growing, I don't see the point to release standard version, without bonus.  :smack

I think it wouldn't cost much more to add some bonus tracks, at least singles or things like that, and th number of copies sold woulld be far far bigger  :disbelief

I'd love to see things like "deluxe editions" which were relesased some years ago : who, cream, etc...

and we know that "official" stuff exist to release such version :

imagine :

- the 1st album : one CD with the album, one CD with the demos + eastbound train
- communique : one CD with the album, one CD with the entire album in demo versions (all songs were recorded in london, like WDYTYG rleleased on the MFN comp)
- making movies : one CD with the album, one CD with the dortmund gig (if TOL had been released on live at the BBC, why could'nt they release the whole show ?)
- love over gold : one CD with the album, one CD with the EP + badges
- Alchemy : whole concert including Industrial disease, rwistin, Portobello
- Brothers in arms : I'm not aware of unrealeased songs, but maye there are some. Or at least the wembley gig...
- On every street : one CD with the album, one CD with montior mixes + faces B

solos albums : all have bonus songs, except KTGC, so it wouldn't be difficult to find stuff for a "deluxe" edition

I can't understand this policy to relaese again and again album version without any single bonus track  :hmm ???

OfflineJeroenvG

• Lady writer
  • Follow me on "twitter.com/vanDiemensLand"
    • Alles Muziek (Dutch)
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 04:56:56 PM »
Just got an email from Universal. The box is set to be out on the 22th of november. As soon as there is an official press release they will send it to me.

"I could play my accordion And charm all of the women And dance round the taproom With a chair in my teeth"

Offlineolazabalrok

• Camerado
  • don't burn the pig
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 05:11:30 PM »
From MKNews:

DS THE STUDIO ALBUMS: Formed in 1977 Dire Straits, led by Mark Knopfler, were one of the iconic groups of the late 20th Century. When they first appeared on the London live circuit, their timeless music, faultless musicianship and memorable songs quickly connected with music lovers. From the start, it was clear that Dire Straits would set their own path and while the then-current zeitgeist of new wave showed there was an appetite for the new, Dire Straits proved that classic song writing would never go out of fashion.

Working hard touring, writing and recording, they released a series of ever more successful albums and by 1985 they were the biggest selling band in the world. Dire Straits

OfflineH97

• Camerado
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 05:17:58 PM »
I really like the idea of this box, it's a nice idea to release Brothers as a double, Why Worry has nver been released on vinyl in it's full version before. Would buy it if I wouldn't allready have 5 of the albums on vinyl.
I agree with JF that a rerelease of the CD's would make more sense though, there's a lot of material for that!

This is what there must be out there:

Dire Straits: Original album, demo's, including Real Girl, and Eastbound Train, soundboard of the tour
Communiqu
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 07:11:26 PM by Hugo97 »

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 06:38:14 PM »
I f this is all there is to it I am really pissed, now that they have the opportunity to do something decent, and I am convinced that their are for more demos and unreleased songs in the faults then whatever is already known to us. I for one will NOT buy this set, if it comes with zilch extra's
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 07:01:47 PM »
I also dream about the release of the real complete collection of DS songs. But I tend to think that MK himself does not want this to happen. No actual reason, just a matter of feeling.

I guess that, unfortunately, the whole collection will be available, if so, only in one or two decades. 2028, 50 years of DS.
Love over gold, mind over matter

OfflineSuprlinda

• Guitar George
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 03:58:12 PM »
Hi, all.  It occurred to me this morning that maybe this reissue has to be done because Warner still owns rights on the Dire Straits stuff, and in order for Mark and Universal to do anything in the future with it, they need to recreate it with the re-masters.  If this is the reason, maybe we can expect other things to happen to that music in the future that they can't do now.

Any thoughts? :think

OfflineRolleyway Man

• Camerado
    • Mike’s Musical Musings
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 09:13:59 PM »
Hi, all.  It occurred to me this morning that maybe this reissue has to be done because Warner still owns rights on the Dire Straits stuff, and in order for Mark and Universal to do anything in the future with it, they need to recreate it with the re-masters.  If this is the reason, maybe we can expect other things to happen to that music in the future that they can't do now.

Any thoughts? :think

Not so sure about that - Mark was only signed to Warner Bros for the USA.

OfflineSuprlinda

• Guitar George
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 06:18:14 PM »
Hi, Rolleyway Man.  What I meant is that with Universal having world distribution rights, instead of all of the world except North America, because of the re-masters, they could potentially repackage Dire Straits material in different ways and be able to sell it to a truly world market.  I think we all know that Warner was definitely not in tune with Universal regarding distribution of new material, let alone old material.  I just see this re-mastering as a step to them being able to do different things in the future.  This would also kind of gibe with not including bonus material, etc.  This is a case of creating a "new" issue, so the won't be violating Warner's copyrights, where it probably would become actionable in court.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 38 queries.