Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster (0117800-815) - Owners list  (Read 292938 times)

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
This could be something flying through space to me, pretty sexy shape!
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
  • 3 Strats . . and a number of others
    • dtvaviation images.co.uk
Just to go back & address a question from a couple of pages ago: As my username suggests, I have a number of Fender Stratocasters, My first is a Japanese built late 80's strat which generally, for non-USA built guitars have a fairly good reputation, although I replaced the pick ups a few years ago as the originals were too "hot". My second is my MK Sig strat which is without doubt the most "grown up" of the 3, and my third is a Mexican Built "Classic 50's" model. They all sound different, although each still sounds like a strat, and due to different string gauges and whether the Tremolo is operational are used for different songs. I actually find the Japanese & Mexican ones easiest to play as they both have Maple necks and their necks are also slightly thinner the the MK Strat. The MK Strat is (I think) the only non-custom shop Fender to have a Nitrocellulose lacquer finish. This is a good thing to the tone purists, but a pain for the owner as the surface is easliy damaged/chipped, whereas the polyester finish on the other two is just about indestructible in comparison. I have  4 paint chips on my MK model and none on the other  2 although one has a small dent in the finish on the bottom edge where I dropped it on my pedal board! ( this would have taken a big chunk out of the MK model).  Consequently, although I love it, the MK model actually gets played less, because it is kept in it's case, where the other 2 are out on a rack and more accessible.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:26:46 PM by 3Strats »
When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.
MK tour photos & my music page can be found at: http://dtvaviationimages.co.uk

DTRW Tour: Newcastle.  Block A, Row E,
seats 21 & 22

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
The MK Strat is (I think) the only non-custom shop Fender to have a Nitrocellulose lacquer finish.

This was the case when it came out,  but not anymore.

Also, they are allegedly not finished in nitro like they were in the 50s, they are poly with nitro on top (according to forums,  no idea if this is true).
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
Early films had nitro celluloze as their base but they had issues (they melted easy and some times they self-combusted) so they were later replaced by the now famous "safety film"
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
A belated welcome to the club - Fretbol ;)
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet

LoveExpresso

Nice video, good sounding music. Ridiculous lyrics though.  ;)

LE

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
It is part of the charm though. And if ones wants to go deeper, it is a wink to the "stupid" rock and roll lyrics, that are part of our growing up as individuals, as society and as rock tradition. All in all  Jonathan Richman is the real deal, playful and yet serious,  unlike many other "artists". If you don't know him check him out!
One of my favorites:

And he goes way back in the early 70ies. Bowie has covered him, Cale and many others

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
You could add Mike Oldfield to the MK owners list, he has one, and plays it on his latest album. It's his only Strat now.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinefirmstools

• Guitar George
Hi all, I bought my MK strat second hand from a work mate a while ago (serial no. se08909, 2010 model)
Just a little confused as my hang tags state it is a 1962 body and neck , not a 57 body as so many others seem to be. Have I been taken here?
I will be pulling it apart later to see if there are any clues.

Offlinefirmstools

• Guitar George
ooops, and I am in the UK, sorry!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Hi firmstools (Nice Username??!!)

As you may be aware the MK Strat features a '57 Ash Body with a 62 'C' shaped Neck....

Send a piccie of your Strat & all of your hang tags and amongst my fellow owners we will tell you whether you've been had or not....
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 10:44:59 AM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinefirmstools

• Guitar George
i will put some pics up later
I have to say that if it is a fake it seems to be a good one!
The finish has sunk into the grain a little, it has lost a little paint where the neck bolts on as others have that i have seen and the finish chips easily, all indicators of nitro paint.
I have just got to work out how to reduce the size of my pics as i cant upload them at the moment.

Offlinefirmstools

• Guitar George
Hi, just a few more details for you experts out there.
the case is black with an orange lining with a metal fender logo on the outside and a metal plate on the inside that says G&G "the original vintage case co" made in USA.

signature on headstock looks right, date on neck is March 17th 2010 and march 8th 2010. one for final assy of neck, one for fitting to body??

body has several stickers with part numbers and bar codes on it. one seems to have been painted over and another one put on top!! see pic.

body is very light, this is the lightest strat i have owned and i have had at least 6 that i can remember!

Offlinefirmstools

• Guitar George
and a couple more, I can only post 2 pics at a time.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 38 queries.