Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: 2014 MK RECORDING DIARY  (Read 168152 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: 2014 MK RECORDING DIARY
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2014, 01:21:32 PM »
I wouldn't get too excited, the first entry is likely to look something like this:

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2014, 02:28:00 PM »
I hope so, Chuck Ainlay
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

LoveExpresso

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2014, 07:31:06 PM »
Well if the result will be another album like the calibre of Get Lucky or Privateering, I grant them their daily draught!

LE

OfflineJeroenvG

• Lady writer
  • Follow me on "twitter.com/vanDiemensLand"
    • Alles Muziek (Dutch)
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2014, 01:28:19 PM »
Still no entry in the diary.

* They must be very busy to complete the album before the february release followed by a tour starting in march. *dreaming mode off*
"I could play my accordion And charm all of the women And dance round the taproom With a chair in my teeth"

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2014, 01:45:47 PM »

* They must be very busy to complete the album before the february release followed by a tour starting in march. *dreaming mode off*

Nah, Mark has been promoting the vinyl re-issues, saying " I know there's no extra tracks on these albums, but I'm very excited to finally feel my old records weigh 180g"
:)
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2014, 01:46:37 PM »

Nah, Mark has been promoting the vinyl re-issues, saying " I know there's no extra tracks on these albums, but I'm very excited to finally feel my old records weigh 180g"
:)

LOL

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2014, 01:51:17 PM »

Actually I still have hopes based on that we know nothing, that the band is coming soon to complete the recordings. The very little we know is MK is working with Guy alone from last months of 2013, with a little break on november for the US dates, and Guy had been quite silent in his forum during that period, what suggest they were working very hard.

My guess (and wish) is that they were working very hard because they want to have the songs shaped to start recording with the band soon, and follow the usual MK schedule (recording january/february, releasing september, promoting the record and selling tickets october/november, touring from march/april next year until july/august)

Actually is more my wish than my guess LOL

OnlineSilvertown

• Lady writer
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2014, 01:59:20 PM »

Actually I still have hopes based on that we know nothing, that the band is coming soon to complete the recordings. The very little we know is MK is working with Guy alone from last months of 2013, with a little break on november for the US dates, and Guy had been quite silent in his forum during that period, what suggest they were working very hard.

My guess (and wish) is that they were working very hard because they want to have the songs shaped to start recording with the band soon, and follow the usual MK schedule (recording january/february, releasing september, promoting the record and selling tickets october/november, touring from march/april next year until july/august)

Actually is more my wish than my guess LOL

That we truly wish! But sometimes it

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2014, 02:26:07 PM »
Mk mentioned that he has around 50 songs in his laptop ready to work on them, I think it was in Bridport...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2014, 02:41:56 PM »
Mk mentioned that he has around 50 songs in his laptop ready to work on them, I think it was in Bridport...

Doesn't mean any of them are any good!  To be serious, we don't know how many he usually writes before deciding to discard some of them for an album.  It probably won't be a number but rather an amount measured in quality instead. 

Sometimes I wish Privateering had been a single CD album as there are a lot of skippers for me and songs not up to his standards.  I'd rather the new album be a single CD of high quality songs and doubt very much it'll be a double again even with 50 songs.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

surferboy

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2014, 03:51:20 PM »
dmg, one might get the idea you got of Privateering as just a single CD with just the highlights, but!!! What if he left out the good ones and not the skippers... and the good ones get lost in the vaults... Think of that. This is what drives me crazy when thinking of not releasing a double CD! He was in the "Blues Mood" for most of the recording sessions, so it could easily have been that he released a Blues CD. And for me most of the Blues tracks are among the weaker ones....

On another note: Did anyone else think that the long preparing time in the studio with just Mark and Guy and with no diary entry could mean that they work on a solo MK accoustic album? Or is this idea too far fetched?

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2014, 05:22:02 PM »
On another note: Did anyone else think that the long preparing time in the studio with just Mark and Guy and with no diary entry could mean that they work on a solo MK accoustic album? Or is this idea too far fetched?

Don't think so. It's just the way it works. This time it's separated in 3 parts: september, november and now. So I expect some musicians flying in within'a couple of months.

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2014, 05:44:30 PM »

Don't think so. It's just the way it works. This time it's separated in 3 parts: september, november and now. So I expect some musicians flying in within'a couple of months.

I think Guy said one time that MK was not very keen on making a acoustic solo album..
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2014, 09:17:56 PM »
Well, it sounds good to me.  8)
8 months to wait then 7 months to make plans.
The next show is almost there  ;D

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2014, 06:00:23 AM »
No Skippers for me on Privateering.   :D  For me, it's beautiful -- I just wish he would have added the bonus songs, especially Follow the Ribbon...
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 42 queries.