Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: 2014 MK RECORDING DIARY  (Read 166829 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: 2014 MK RECORDING DIARY
« Reply #495 on: June 20, 2014, 05:44:07 PM »
Does anyone remember the name of the "multi-instrumentalist" that was to tour with MK during the ill-fated Ragpicker's Dream tour?  He had a bio on MKNews for a while.  Kind of a flaky-looking character,IMO.  Can't remember his name though.

Fats Kaplin.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

LoveExpresso

« Reply #496 on: June 20, 2014, 07:47:41 PM »
Next question.

LE

Offlinerosco

• Camerado
« Reply #497 on: June 21, 2014, 10:48:20 AM »
I was assuming the new album wouldn't be out till next year but Guy answered - "could be" to the question posed of album coming out this year and tour next year..........  hopefully!!

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #498 on: June 22, 2014, 03:34:12 PM »
If you read between the lines in some of Guy's answers you can for sure say there will be a new tour in 2015. I think the new album will come a little later than we are used to from MK. Perhaps somwhere at the end of of this year.... :wave

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #499 on: June 22, 2014, 05:33:54 PM »
The album could come out next year and the tour immediately following it's release.  Similar to the old days (although BIA/OES tours started before the albums were released so audiences only knew the first single).

Or, I don't see the big delay in completion of the album in the studio and release date.  Isn't this just usually to arrange artwork and to wait for a suitable release time to get best sales?  If it's finished at the right time and they're already working on artwork anyway then just get it out there!  No reason for waiting months.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 05:37:45 PM by dmg »

Offlinewayaman

• Camerado
« Reply #500 on: June 22, 2014, 06:43:31 PM »
Guy suggested that they are still working, and summer holydays are around the corner, I dont think the work is completed before.

LoveExpresso

« Reply #501 on: June 22, 2014, 07:49:06 PM »
Back in 2007 I asked Guy about this mysterious 5 to 6 months gap between mixing and releasing an album, he passed that question on to PC, and here is what he answered:

That's a very good question, one for Paul Crockford, Mark's manager. Here's his reply - In answer to your fan question the delay is in order to get the record out to long lead time press and the rest of the media with plenty of time for them to consider the record for reviews and TV and radio play. In addition the manufacturing and distribution for a worldwide simultaneous release takes some considerable length of time to co-ordinate in order to make sure that the record gets into every market on the day of release.

My guess is that we might have a spring 2015 release like with Golden Heart or All The Road Running - releasing in March maybe. The tour dates could be announced earlier nevertheless. I am not sure 100 % but we had the case of buying tickets without knowing the actual promoted record, hadn't we? I remember
RAH tickets to be announced VERY early last time, or was it 2010... So concert dates announcment Oct/Nov, release in March, presale starts March, too, tour starts end of April and Bob's your uncle...

I would prefer a Oct/Nov 2014 release however. It all goes off from our lifetime, you know..

LE
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 07:55:09 PM by Love Expresso »

Offlinewayaman

• Camerado
« Reply #502 on: June 22, 2014, 09:04:28 PM »
How it happened with "All the roadrunning"? I recall the cd came out in around march 2006 and the tour started late april, but can recall when the tour dates were announced.

Gh dates were announced before but it was in early internet times so most of us knew about them when buying the cd as the dates were in the jewel case, and the tour started very close to the release date too.

LoveExpresso

« Reply #503 on: July 18, 2014, 11:00:31 PM »

As it is all so awfully quiet (and hot) these days, I thought why not listen to this again - with the view of maybe having a "proper" studio recording of it on the new album with much better vocals nowadays... I love this song, just listened to it three or four times in a row... although the sound quality is pretty bad (is there a better version available?).. but it was everything that reminds me so much of all my favourite MK ingredients.. those pedal steel, these drums... a little bit Long Highway flavour.. love it!

Hope Guy will come up with some news sooner or later...

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #504 on: July 18, 2014, 11:13:43 PM »
According to McCusker's twitter, Guy and the Mcs are playing with Vicente Amigo these days...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #505 on: July 19, 2014, 08:51:06 PM »
According to McCusker's twitter, Guy and the Mcs are playing with Vicente Amigo these days...

Is that a bad thing?   ;D

Seriously, I think it's perhaps due to the imminent Transatlantic Sessions.

Offlinewayaman

• Camerado
« Reply #506 on: July 21, 2014, 03:37:01 PM »
It means that Guy is busy.

surferboy

« Reply #507 on: August 15, 2014, 03:17:28 PM »
I'm searching for ideas what it could mean that it will soon be almost a year since Mark and Guy started work in the studio and that there have been relatively few band sessions (even only one?) accompanying that work. Guy just stated that he and Mark would finish up alone after returning to the sudio in September. Unless we have been left in the dark concerning more band visits to BG, can we expect a very stripped down almost accoustic sounding record? Could that also explain the absence of Richard and Chuck?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 04:05:28 PM by surferboy »

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #508 on: August 15, 2014, 03:32:28 PM »
i wouldn't mind a more acoustic album...as long as guitar is clearly on it.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #509 on: August 18, 2014, 04:04:41 PM »
And maybe a surprise guitar duel with EC?  ;D
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 44 queries.