Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Sailing To Philadelphia Full Album Chords  (Read 6650 times)

foma

Sailing To Philadelphia Full Album Chords
« on: April 01, 2014, 10:30:59 PM »
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/m/mark_knopfler/sailing_to_philadelphia_album_crd.htm

Just finished my own chord book for 'Sailing To Philadelphia'. All the songs was picked out by hand with love. Done in one sitting on the April Fools' Day :lol
You can say it's impressive, but come on, I can write down something like this in couple of hours only after 10 years of constant daily playing and studying.

'What It Is', nothing new here, just added second rhythm guitar part as it was played in two guitars on the record.

'Sailing To Philadelphia', the title track is far beyond my understanding. Unusual structure, alternation with 3/4 and 4/4 time and lots of details.

'Who's Your Baby Now', very clever capoed song. With capo it sounds just right, but you can also play it without capo.

'Baloney Again', marvelous song with too many chords and fenomenal musical construction.

'The Last Laugh', simple one, but with beautiful bass lines.

'Silvertown Blues', well, this one is pretty self-explanatory. Many chords, complex structure, tune was writen for a band.

'Prairie Wedding', check out very, very clever rhythm idea with sus chords, just awesome. I believe it's the first correct version of the tune.

'El Macho', simple and haunting.

'Wanderlust', just a little yet beautiful tune. Love the unexpected chords.

'Speedway At Nazareth', another self-explanatory tune. Take a closer look at the final solo progression, just breathtaking.

'Junkie Doll', it's a blues with odd yet clever construction. Complex chords included.

'Sands Of Nevada', a lachrymatory intro and outro, the rest is simple and sounds like straight 'american western' tune.

'One More Matinee', I love the nostalgic feeling of it and the chorus is just inspiring. The ending is perfect.

Sailing To Philadelphia is the most complex Mark Knopfler's album in terms of chords using.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 12:10:30 AM by foma »

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
Re: Sailing To Philadelphia Full Album Chords by Foma
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 12:46:47 AM »
You're Da Man, foma! Thanks for another piece of brilliant transcribing. I am particularly looking forward to trying Baloney Again, this is a one little tricky song that I really adore but never quite nailed yet. I thought I was close but there are so many little nuances there that I'm sure I skipped many necessary chords. Thanks for your efforts!
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

foma

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 08:09:30 AM »
Good luck kooba and thanks! Baloney is a though one. Ithink it's good idea just to memorise tabbed chords at the top of text and then just play by ear.

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 11:07:59 AM »
Marvelous work, I still think MK will only be truly recognized for his songwriting genius after he's 'passed on' - sad but true until that time that other artists study his songs, he'll be known by the public for his 'wailing on guitar' etc.

I remember Ingo talking about the coda to Speedway, id love to have the time to really study this stuff, alas cover bands are a distraction to true musical genius.

Thank you again foma - your effort & posts are NOT unappreciated :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 11:10:11 AM by Fletch »
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

foma

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 12:48:05 PM »
You are welcome Fletch!

Speedway's coda contains 30 bars rather than usual 32, it's truly amazing how Mark can compose things that so unortodox yet sounds as good if not even better than 'right' way. And Sailing To Philly's jumping between 3/4 to 4/4 time just blows my mind. Also a little DMaj7 and Dsus 2 embellishments...

I can talk about Mark's songs and composition skills for hours :lol

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 06:12:38 PM »
I have not yet found the time to look to your work, but I'm sure it's at the same high level as always

about Junkie Doll, I have a french itw where the journalist says that "it reminds him the classic blues you gotta move by the stones", and Mark answers immediately that "the original version was by Fred McDowell & Reverend Gary Davis", and that "Dylan wouldn't forgive a journalist not knowing that !"   :lol :lol

and then he adds that he "changed the classical structure of the turnaround to make it more sophisticated"

indeed, the blues songs on Privateering are less sophisticated...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 12:19:38 PM »

and then he adds that he "changed the classical structure of the turnaround to make it more sophisticated"

So that's why none of us AMITers enjoyed the blues songs on Privateering;  we're too sophisticated! ;D
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 12:21:51 PM »

So that's why none of us AMITers enjoyed the blues songs on Privateering;  we're too sophisticated! ;D

I'm obviously not sophisticated at all, because I love all of the blues on Privateering!     ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 12:44:23 PM »

I'm obviously not sophisticated at all, because I love all of the blues on Privateering!     ;)

Oops! :-[

LoveExpresso

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 03:34:48 PM »
Songs from Privateering I listened to the most lately:

Redbud Tree
Go, Love
Don't forget your Hat
Seattle
Got To have Something
I Used To Could
Gator Blood

part-time-sophisticated i would presume?

:wave

LE

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 05:09:35 PM »
I have to say that I really like the blues made by MK because until Privateering he was able to make it his own. Too many songs to mention but for example Think I Love You Too Much, Small Potatoes, Millionaire Blues, or brilliant Junkie Doll are all bluesy but it never was classical blues, it was the MK-flavored blues. On Privateering he went the "easy" way and played the pure classic blues albeit using different flavors. I tend to skip those juicy blues songs and I'd rather see MK breaking the standards than reinventing the wheel. Doing blues standards for such a creative composer is a waste of time. Let Clapton do it, he is great at it. MK should compose melodies, he's the best melodist ever.
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 05:37:07 PM »
I have to say that I really like the blues made by MK because until Privateering he was able to make it his own. Too many songs to mention but for example Think I Love You Too Much, Small Potatoes, Millionaire Blues, or brilliant Junkie Doll are all bluesy but it never was classical blues, it was the MK-flavored blues. On Privateering he went the "easy" way and played the pure classic blues albeit using different flavors. I tend to skip those juicy blues songs and I'd rather see MK breaking the standards than reinventing the wheel. Doing blues standards for such a creative composer is a waste of time. Let Clapton do it, he is great at it. MK should compose melodies, he's the best melodist ever.

Perfectly sums up my feelings on every single point.  Very well put. :clap

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 06:24:46 PM »
yes. agree 100% with Kooba

if I want to listen to classical blues, I never go for MK, there are plenty other musicians far superior in this style

Where Mark is the best is in blended styles imho

foma

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 09:14:04 PM »
I personally listen Mark's 'normal' blues for a great rhythm-section. Glenn Worf rocks!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 46 queries.