Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: acoustic section during concerts ?  (Read 4685 times)

Offlinestefankock

• Camerado
acoustic section during concerts ?
« on: April 19, 2014, 05:30:01 PM »
Hello everyone,

Not much of of a poster, and even less of a topic starter, but lately I have begun listening more and more to Eric Clapton. For some reason Eric's playing didn't do it for me, but now I'm really 'into' it, although Mark stays my #1 guitar player.

I've noticed that Eric on some tours starts, or has, an acoustic section in his show as opposite to Mark who playes acoustic songs throughout the whole concert. I've noticed that I liked the acoustic songs better when they were played as a section (I normally don't care for acoustic guitar playing) and thought about what it would be like when Mark would do the same.

What are your thoughts and opinions about that ? If you think that adding a 'seperate' acoustic section' into the concert, what songs would you like to hear played and in which place should the acoustic section be (beginning, middle, end) ?

I also noticed that Eric has done / does both acoustic and electric versions of certain songs (Layla, Driftin' , etc ) ..... could that also work for Mark ?? Would be great to hear an electric version of for example 'Get Lucky'  ....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: acoustic section during concerts ?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 09:25:54 PM »
Mark did a similar thing with a semi-acoustic section after Sultans on the SL tour in 2005.  They brought out a chair for him and Richard too (I think), took a cup of tea (maybe beer actually) and played about four songs:

Bonaparte
Sonny Liston
R
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinestefankock

• Camerado
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 08:09:44 PM »
Mark did a similar thing with a semi-acoustic section after Sultans on the SL tour in 2005.  They brought out a chair for him and Richard too (I think), took a cup of tea (maybe beer actually) and played about four songs:

Bonaparte
Sonny Liston
R

LoveExpresso

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 10:53:08 PM »
The closest thing would have been the Boothbay concert, but even there he "only" dispensed with the drums... I guess it will not happen - he has always the electric in reach...

I like the idea on the last sets that he always has a little three-piece (Sonny Liston) or four-piece (Sultans, Gator Blood) in his set. That's his kind of stripping down the set. And finally: The live versions of the Get Lucky track were all pretty bad in 2010 in my opinion, he just cannot sing that song live. It is not enough for the big halls..

LE

Offlineallen

• A Mark in Time
  • Founder
  • Romeo
  • La KnopflerTK
    • A Mark in Time
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 12:53:57 AM »
I have dreamed for years that MK would do an unplugged concert.  Not only songs that they are originally played acoustic on albums, but also other songs which can give a fresh feeling, like SFA Sydney 86, Water of Love NHB version, and so on.  I know certain electric songs apparently do not fit playing acoustic, but still there are lots to choose.

Wishes
Allen
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 10:24:33 AM »
I think that an MK acoustic set would be fantastic because it would give him and us a chance to revisit some older and rarely heard songs. WWE or Lions, News or Follow me home come to mind. And maybe he can do it within a TV special program, like MTV unplugged, like Clapton, or lately Scorpions (The avatar photo is from Lycabetus theater that MK has played in 2008, but the very photo is from Scorpions unplugged 3 day gigs  - 2 were recorded for MTV one was for fans, from 2013) 
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinewayaman

• Camerado
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 10:53:00 AM »
He does an acoustic set, but with just one song that last the same of three or four regular songs, you know Marbletown...

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 11:03:05 AM »
He does an acoustic set, but with just one song that last the same of three or four regular songs, you know Marbletown...

Privateering?    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinewayaman

• Camerado
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 04:23:17 PM »

Privateering?    :)

Different sections during the concert  ;D

Offlineallen

• A Mark in Time
  • Founder
  • Romeo
  • La KnopflerTK
    • A Mark in Time
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 12:47:54 AM »

We need a Loooooooooong set, at least more than 10.   :D
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

Offlinewayaman

• Camerado
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 03:46:10 PM »
How long lasts Marbletown? Do it longer and DMG will kill himself during it   :lol

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 03:49:36 PM »
Mark in his past life has already extended TOL to over 22 minutes. I have no doubt that he could success doing the same with Marbletown.

Clapton also did it mid 80's with Same Old Blues and it was boring to death, showing how surprisingly weak Mark could be soloing on a slow blues stuff.
Hopefully when last time they reunited on stage to perform it again it was back to a perfect 7 minutes format.

Mark should think about it for Marbletown ;)
Shorter but stronger.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 05:03:41 PM »
Mark in his past life has already extended TOL to over 22 minutes. I have no doubt that he could success doing the same with Marbletown.

Clapton also did it mid 80's with Same Old Blues and it was boring to death, showing how surprisingly weak Mark could be soloing on a slow blues stuff.
Hopefully when last time they reunited on stage to perform it again it was back to a perfect 7 minutes format.

Mark should think about it for Marbletown ;)
Shorter but stronger.

I worried for a moment about where you were going with this but finally you started to make sense!  ;D
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

LoveExpresso

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 07:49:41 PM »
For me, Marbletown is indeed the highpoint of the show (and not Telegraph Road), and I really loved it from the first time they played it live in 2008.
But I agree that last year's versions were indeed a little bit too long - John McCusker got too much room for his fiddle picking, and I never got what was so great about him picking together with Glen Worf - that part was too long. And in the last weeks of the tour, they even made the very last final part even longer. Although I love the development of Jim Cox playing more plinki-plink-piano at the end, quite jazzy...

So to sum it up, the 2010  versions were the best ones. From my point of view, he should play Calling Elvis again and extend it to around 15 minutes..  ;D

LE

Offlinewayaman

• Camerado
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 10:18:10 PM »
An acoustic Calling Elvis with endless fiddle, flute and plinky piano would be a dream come true  ;D

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 42 queries.