Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New album "ERIC CLAPTON & FRIENDS" on JJ Cale Songs with MK on 2 tracks  (Read 55464 times)

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
Something to look forward to. JJ Cale songs and a bunch of interesting performers - some familiar and some less so (to me, anyway). I've passed the information to mrs twm.

It is a strange thing with me and EC. I've seen him live quite a few times but never been to one of his concerts. He's guested at some shows I've attended and I was at the first ever major performance by Cream (Windsor Jazz Festival in 1966 - they'd played a club in Manchester beforehand and weren't called Cream on the festival handbill, just the three individual names) and I saw Derek and the Dominoes (in the 1970s at Green's Playhouse in Glasgow) but no EC concert.

Perhaps the most interesting prospect is how they will approach the songs. One of Cale's attractions is his musical style  and delivery. In other words, will they stick to what we know or will they try to interpret or update the songs in some way? I don't much mind either way.  I also attended the  "Bob Dylan 30th Anniversary Celebration Concert" and thought at the time that EC's reworking of those songs was one of the best things that night - and this has just been confirmed by my watching the recent DVD (re)issue.

Great stuff! You could say I'm looking forward to this album.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
Sorry, I meant to include this link:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/eric-clapton-and-friends-honor-jj-cale-with-new-tribute-lp-20140430

Another thing is that, whilst two of The Yardbirds went to the same school as I did (a couple of years ahead of me), I never saw them live either. Around the time EC played with them, I never felt them an authentic r'n'b band. "People from my area and particularly from my own school can't play the blues", I thought. I was going to see the likes of Muddy Waters, Little Walter, John Lee Hooker, Sonny Boy Williamson #2, John Lee Hooker, Howlin' Wolf, Son House, Sleepy John Estes and their like in that period. The strange thing is that EC had a similar, very purist view at the time.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
None can be  Saint at his hometown, twm!
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineVesper

• Lady writer
GREAT NEWS!

So I asked Guy this question:
Hi Guy! Great to hear Mark plays on the JJ Cale appreciation cd by Eric Clapton and friends! Were you involved in this and can you tell me/us where it was recorded? About the recording of Mark's own new recording, I hope everything is going well and is on schedule, could you tell when we can expect a new diary entry with some great stories and pictures? Kind regards, Klaas Bouke http://www.whereseric.com/eric[...]   

Answer:
Yes, Mark was involved on two tracks and I was there to lend an ear where needed. It was really lovely to see Mark and Eric playing guitar together, at the same time. These tracks were recorded at BG. Simon Climie (producer) and Alan Douglas (engineer) did a fine job.

So does this mean the whole cd was recorded at BG or just the 2 songs Mark is on?
Does somebody know?

LoveExpresso

I would think "these tracks" means just the two with Mark were BG recordings. Fits as he rarely seem to leave that building anymore... even promo interviews, EPK videos and other stuff is always coming directly from the studio... Kingdom of Sound...

LE

OfflineVesper

• Lady writer
On Januari 28th I posted this link in the MK Recording Diary forumpage:

http://ink361.com/app/photo/ig-635615010489327920_304697007

I think more than only these songs were recorded at BG, look at the pics.
As said before, let's for more details soon!

LoveExpresso

Let's hope she knows who Mark "Knofler" is...

LE

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
Must be quite a thrill for Mayer to be in the same crowd as this list. Sensible commercially, & the boy can play quite tastefully (on his albums at least.)
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

OfflineTally

• Camerado
Very interesting indeed. I hope at least one of the songs is something of a rocker  :)

I was afraid the results of this collaboration would sort of disappear... Glad to see it happen.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Sorry, I meant to include this link:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/eric-clapton-and-friends-honor-jj-cale-with-new-tribute-lp-20140430

Another thing is that, whilst two of The Yardbirds went to the same school as I did (a couple of years ahead of me), I never saw them live either. Around the time EC played with them, I never felt them an authentic r'n'b band. "People from my area and particularly from my own school can't play the blues", I thought. I was going to see the likes of Muddy Waters, Little Walter, John Lee Hooker, Sonny Boy Williamson #2, John Lee Hooker, Howlin' Wolf, Son House, Sleepy John Estes and their like in that period. The strange thing is that EC had a similar, very purist view at the time.
impressive list. One day I would love to see a full list of all the shows you attended..
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
impressive list. One day I would love to see a full list of all the shows you attended..

Yes I would like to know too.  :)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler

Yes I would like to know too.  :)

I reckon we'd see Woodstock and The Spice Girls in there, maybe even Rihanna!  ;)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Late comer to this thread due to being away and am pleased MK is releasing something to the great JJ Cale. Also very pleased that I will be able to download the two tracks that way I don't have to listen to too much 'slowhand'!!!
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineEl Macho

• Lady writer
Tracks length (from the US Itunes store, no preview...)
Someday : 3'48
Train to nowhere : 4'51
2 months to wait !
They got a name for people like you, yeh they do
And they got a name for people like me too
El Macho, El Macho

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
Already ordered. And for the vinyl affictionados there is a vinyl relese as well! Found out that Cale guested in Clapton's last ALBUM AS WELL. i WONDER IF THESE ARE HIS LAST RECORDINGS. nOW WE HAVE TO WAIT FOR  unreleased recordings, alternate takes, expanded editions etc. Or maybe not?
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 40 queries.