Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Different takes on "Private Investigations - the very best of DS & MK"  (Read 4690 times)

OfflineMK_live

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Camerado
Hello everyone,

I must admit that I bought the compilation CD  "Private Investigations - the very best of DS & MK" just to add to my collection and never thought much of it as just another compilation CD which would not bring any news to the fans who already have all studio albums.

However, lately I was pointed on two things:

1. the playout on STP is longer (the track lasts 5:53 instead of 5:29 on the STP album). I too think that the instrumental part is different, starting around 4:00

2. the vocal take on Darling Pretty is a different one compared to the Golden Heart album! Differences are not that much, but it does sound different

Now, that makes the album at least more interesting after all. Did any of you ever notice that before? I would be interested to hear from people if there are more interesting things to be found on this compilation CD. Would be nice to make a summary of all differences we can find.

Kind regards,
Jeroen

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
That's quite interesting Jeroen because that's one I didn't buy.

Quite a bit of length on the playout, not just a few seconds but something worthwhile and also the different vocal on DP.  I presume the music track is the same?  Again, worthwhile and interesting for the diehards like us.  Thanks for the info!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineMK_live

• Camerado
Yes, musically, Darling Pretty is exactly the same as on the Golden Heart album. The vocal take sounds less good compared to the one which was released on the Golden Heart album, in my opinion.

I am still surprised that they did release a different version on the compilation CD, you would almost think it was an error.

Jeroen

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
I am not familiar with the sort of detail that interests you but, if the two alternate tracks/takes were issued intentionally, then I would guess that the record company would advertise that, if only to maximise sales to fans who might otherwise ignore such a compilation - and apparently did.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 10:05:20 AM by twm »

LoveExpresso

I might add that it is well known from shortly after the release that the STP solo is longer and that the DP vocals are different.

LE

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Yes agree with LE, it is well known and was discussed on forums just after the release

The STP version is the whole track not edited (apart the fade out of course), while the version on the album is edited, maybe because they thought its was too long, and that these bars don't add much to the outro (it feels like we "wait" too long before the outro solo is really starting)

the strange thing is why they decided to release the "original" non edited version on the comp, and without mention it
maybe it's a "mistake" like twm said ? maybe like the WII mexican single ?

the same for In the gallery which is edited in the outro. maybe we will hear the complete non edited version on a future comp.... :think

as for DP, it's an alternate mix, so with a different vocal take, but all the rest is the same
it's sometimes the case on comps, but it's mentionned  (1st example that comes to mind : suite-judy blue eyes on the CSN comp from 91)

OfflineMK_live

• Camerado
Thanks for your comments, I was not aware that these were well known facts. To me it was new, it seems the playout on DP is also a bit longer by the way.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
I think you'll find the guitar outro on Darling Pretty is different to the version on Golden Heart, as the music is fading, Mark is playing some different notes.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinecrishex

• Guitar George
The outro on both GH versions is exactly the same, but the difference is the length. On the compilation the fade-out lasts for 11 seconds longer than on the album, and the different notes are being played within these seconds and can therefore not be heard on the album version.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Stp piano sounds more present, or different, also there is more pedal steel imho

I never noticed the different vocals on Darling pretty, but the music sounds differently mixed.

Why aye man also have another ending, as its the radio edit.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
The drums in WII are also different (hi-hat vs. cymbals), somewhere before the middle solo if I remember correctly.

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
There is also an echo on calling elvis at some point. "anybody home" echoes back. It's not on the On every street.
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
The drums in WII are also different (hi-hat vs. cymbals), somewhere before the middle solo if I remember correctly.

Textual WII is different in 1 sentence if i remember correct.

Drums beat the tattoo is in it. It's not on the album i think
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineMK_live

• Camerado
Thanks for all your comments so far. Despite it is only a small difference in the lyrics of What it is, I think it is very remarkable to find a difference compared to the album version. I can not say I hear the difference in the drums on that track, but that probably has to do with my hearing  ;) And indeed, I listened to Calling Elvis again and the last verse has that echo. I wonder if there are more small differences.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
What with all these different vocals and takes doesn't it just make you think that out there there must be some great stuff from older sessions like different outro solos on TOL from the MM sessions or TR from LOG!   :P
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 40 queries.