Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Getting older?  (Read 3589 times)

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
Getting older?
« on: August 13, 2014, 03:35:17 PM »
I'm getting older. Today i liked The Fish And The Bird.  :smack
Is this dangerous? Has anyone experience with this!

OfflineTally

• Camerado
Re: Getting older?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 03:49:13 PM »
Melody and lyrics are great, pace is...............

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 05:00:58 PM »
Ha, ha, yes, pace is ...
But today it's fits perfect to my condition. Anyway, I'm glad that i finally have the tipical knopfler-breakthrough to this song. It has always been a skipper. Not any longer...

foma

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 05:25:25 PM »
Hey, I'am relatively young and I love The Fish And The Bird! It's very very medieval type of thing.
My favourite music is slow jazz ballads, I sometimes think that I 80 years old, but I love that.

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 06:12:58 PM »
Oh, that's a surprise. I didn't suppose that you like The Fish And The Bird. But I felt always more attracted to music before my birth too, but I'm more a blues fan. However, I like the link. Didn't know Doc Cheatham, but due to the Eric Clapton-Wynton Marsalis collaboration I learned to know and like him.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 08:00:29 PM »
I'm getting older. Today i liked The Fish And The Bird.  :smack
Is this dangerous? Has anyone experience with this!

Perhaps young man you've got industrial disease.  Take two aspirin.  Next patient please!

Dr Parkinson.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineGuitarman1972

• Camerado
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 10:41:23 PM »
You have been listening to my least favourite MK album. Best song on the album is Madame Geneva's. From the song "We can get wild" I really like the guitarwork. Fish and the bird didn't make it to my MK playlist of studio recordings.

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 07:49:58 AM »
It's probably the most boring song of all for me. :thumbsdown I don't know if age has much to do with your taste for music.  I'm never a classical music listener, I never will no matter how old I get.  :)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 08:07:26 AM »
I like The Fish and The Bird, but I agree that the pace is a tad slow.   It has always been reminiscent to me of Bobby Darin's "If I Were a Carpenter" also "She Moved Through the Fair".     
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 08:10:15 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineSuprlinda

• Guitar George
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 05:49:17 PM »
I have always loved The Fish And The Bird.  It is definitely not in any of the styles we are used to Mark using, but to me the fascinating thing about it is that Mark's skill as a song writer successfully conveys an atmosphere of the music of about 400 years ago.  If one took it apart bit by bit, it wouldn't be identical, but I think it does give the "feel" of the time.  I think the harmonies and chord progressions are very similar.  It seems to me one needs to give credit where it is due.  I can't really think of any other modern song writers who have successfully done the same thing!  And yontwocrows, I don't think age has anything to do with it.  I think it is a widening of your music appreciation horizons!   :thumbsup

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 06:06:05 PM »
@dmg:  :clap
@ guitarman: I know, my attitude to this album is changing constantly. That's the reason why i give it sometimes a re-listening.
@sweetsurrender: I know what you mean. Age probably not, but certainly the mood while you're listening.
@superval: will check them out!
@suprlinda: Thank you! Btw i agree with the harmonies and chord progressions. They cause some ancient feelings.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 02:36:38 PM »
I always loved this song since the 1st time I heard it.

It sounds mystic, celtic, and yes also medieval.
I find it has this kind of flavour you can find in "mystic-celtic-new-age" type CDs.

I love the alternance of minor/major flavour, and the melody is superb imho, although I know it's reminiscent from old folk classic tunes

When I listen to it, it brings me serenity, tranquility.

I don't think I am old (I' m 43, I guess from the same generation as many people here), but I always loved music from older generations than mine...

I think that music taste comes from many things : mood of course, but also education, social context, what your parents were listening, people you meet in your life, etc...

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 04:00:51 PM »
Yes, you're right. I totally agree with you.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 04:57:19 PM »
There was always music playing at home and, thankfully, I went to a school which encouraged us to listen to and appreciate all kinds of music, particularly classical and lots of what I heard there are still amongst my favourites, although my taste in music has expanded a lot over the years, but I am just as happy at a classical concert as I am at an MK concert or a folky one.   

Anyway, what's in a label - classical for example?  Without knowing it was MK, some may think Last Exit was a classical piece!   Same with The Fish and the Bird, it could be medieval as JF has said.  It's all just music to be enjoyed - age doesn't matter!    :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 06:58:16 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 07:39:28 PM »
yes Val that's what excatly I was thinking about when I said social context, education and so on...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 40 queries.