Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Don't Crash the Ambulance  (Read 13580 times)

Offlinexman

• Guitar George
Don't Crash the Ambulance
« on: August 17, 2014, 08:20:39 PM »
I've read a lot of discussions about the general meaning of the song, but I cannot for the life of me find out what the title's phrase means in general.  What does it mean to "crash the ambulance"?  Where does this metaphor come from?

foma

Re: Don't Crash the Ambulance
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 08:24:43 PM »
I have exactly the same question. I know it's George H.W. Bush quote, but crashing the ambulance is still mystery to me.

LoveExpresso

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 09:54:49 PM »
Not sure about it. It is a Bush Senior quotation, I did read that somewhere, too.

In Germany we have a saying "etwas an die Wand fahren", literally translated "driving something against the wall", which has the meaning of "to go tits up", messing up something, failing in doing something. Maybe"Don't crash the ambulance" is just a phrase from some unknown geographically localised area which only got famous from Mr. Bush using it..The way I understand it it is is used in the meaning of  "always have a safety net, always having something up your sleeve, whatever you do".

Not sure this helps..

LE

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 10:20:20 AM »
The meaning of "Don't crash the ambulance" as a phrase, on its own and not viewed as part of the song, is pretty clear, surely. You have an accident or are otherwise injured - an ambulance is called to take you to hospital - you are in desperate need to get to hospital for treatement - you want that to be done speedily, so the ambulance is driven quite fast - but you don't want the ambulance to be impeded or stopped on the way - hence, "don't crash the ambulance". Don't stop those who are acting to help you from providing that help.

As for the song, I only really know MK's songs from their being performed in concert and, though my memory may be at fault, I can't recall him performing "Don't crash the ambulance" at any concert I've attended. If he has, it has passed me by.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 10:46:29 AM »
The song is about Bush Father telling Bush son how to rule the US government, and telling that whatever he does, protect himself of big problems that can not be solved. Dont crash the ambulance, dont bit the hand of your master, etc etc
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 12:06:44 PM »
I am not familiar with the phrase being used by the elder Bush to the younger Bush but, to extend what I said earlier, then the father is telling the son: if you're driving an ambulance to help someone else, don't crash the ambulance on the way there.  Sending the ambulance may be well-meant but, if it doesn't arrive safely, it is no help at all.  The offer of help or assistance is pointless.  Indeed, it may be worse than not offering help in the first place.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 12:22:23 PM »
I am not familiar with the phrase being used by the elder Bush to the younger Bush but, to extend what I said earlier, then the father is telling the son: if you're driving an ambulance to help someone else, don't crash the ambulance on the way there.  Sending the ambulance may be well-meant but, if it doesn't arrive safely, it is no help at all.  The offer of help or assistance is pointless.  Indeed, it may be worse than not offering help in the first place.

Well, i think it has something to do with Bush father telling his son its ok to invade countries with oil, but dont invade China, or do things you can success, avoid what can put you in trouble. I think it has more to do with Bush son being safe of defeats and scandals than to help... I mean, its a totally selfish thing, come on Son, you'll be the president, dont do silly things, dont push that button, dont invade China, put your cojones in the desk...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineLestroid

• Local Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 01:11:51 PM »
I always liked the line "Don't ever invade China" because it both fits the type of advise that Bush I would offer to Bush II, but it also seems to be a reference to The Princess Bride ("Never get involved in a land war in Asia").

I always thought the line Don't Crash the Ambulance" just meant "Don't screw up".  I don't recall that exact quote from Bush I, but it seems like something he would have said, since he always had an odd way of talking.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 02:16:20 PM »
The lyrics on this song are really clever.    As well as "Don't ever invade China" I like the line "You've even got a whistle in there for attracting attention".  That always makes me smile when I hear it when I'm about to take off on a plane!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OnlineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 02:55:24 PM »
in french we say : "don't shoot the ambulance"

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 05:20:52 PM »
I thought the French say, "Don't shoot the piano player".

Offlinewayaman

• Camerado
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 06:20:26 PM »

Thats universal I think, it comes from the western movies when the piano player is killed everytime there is a shooting at the saloon  ;D

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 07:34:23 PM »
The lyrics on this song are really clever.    As well as "Don't ever invade China" I like the line "You've even got a whistle in there for attracting attention".  That always makes me smile when I hear it when I'm about to take off on a plane!   :)
the whole song is full of them clever little sentences, the whole song makes me smile.
for me this is My parties 2, when talking about sillyness.
it also made me rediscover the record credits, which, imho were the last well written credits (i am a sucker for credits and thank you's and stuff)
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OnlineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 07:36:29 PM »

"Don't shoot the piano player" means "to be lenient with someone and avoid attack him if he does her best" (sorry google traduction)

"At the end of the nineteenth century, large gold deposits were discovered and Oscar Wilde says in one of his writings' impressions of America 'that there was a panel in the saloon in Leadville saying' thank you for do not shoot the pianist, he did his best '.

It must be said that when the fights were unleashed saloons, the first two shot were mirror and pianist. Since this phrase has passed into common language."
(sorry google traduction again)

and of course there is Truffaut's movie "shoot the pianist"

OnlineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 07:37:25 PM »
it also made me rediscover the record credits, which, imho were the last well written credits (i am a sucker for credits and thank you's and stuff)

yes and the only one album where guitars used on each song are detailed in the booklet

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 42 queries.