Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New release of Local Hero from Great North Run  (Read 26971 times)

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
Re: New release of Local Hero from Great North Run
« Reply #105 on: September 17, 2014, 03:23:53 PM »
Great version with cool guitar licks!
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #106 on: September 18, 2014, 09:57:31 AM »
Sad to say that this was one of the poorer versions I`ve heard in a while :-\

I don't think he's really played a genuinely great version since 2002.  The last great one was Beaulieu 2002 and it makes recent ones sound pretty amateur.

nice version although Mark doesn't play on "verse/bridge/B" theme. nice licks during the intro

it's the only one version I know played on the orignal 61 strat (I mean for Going Home, of course wild theme was played on it during STP tour)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2014, 10:43:52 AM »

I don't think he's really played a genuinely great version since 2002.  The last great one was Beaulieu 2002 and it makes recent ones sound pretty amateur.

nice version although Mark doesn't play on "verse/bridge/B" theme. nice licks during the intro

it's the only one version I know played on the orignal 61 strat (I mean for Going Home, of course wild theme was played on it during STP tour)

That's really the main difference though (the intro's) because the rest is always the same.  The intro on this one is inspired and has a far better tone.

Of course nothing can beat Wild Theme from the 1998 Hillbillies gigs for me but that's not really comparable.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #108 on: September 18, 2014, 11:20:56 AM »

That's really the main difference though (the intro's) because the rest is always the same.  The intro on this one is inspired and has a far better tone.

Of course nothing can beat Wild Theme from the 1998 Hillbillies gigs for me but that's not really comparable.

in 96 the rest was not always the same. at the end of solo, he did some (little) improvisation, at least he was going a little bit out of the melody, and it made the tune more "live" I may say, less "comfort zone"

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #109 on: September 18, 2014, 11:55:51 AM »

in 96 the rest was not always the same. at the end of solo, he did some (little) improvisation, at least he was going a little bit out of the melody, and it made the tune more "live" I may say, less "comfort zone"

I was never overly fond of the distortion on his LP on this song on the GH tour.  Very un-Mark like.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #110 on: September 18, 2014, 05:08:19 PM »
I was never overly fond of the distortion on his LP on this song on the GH tour.  Very un-Mark like.

yes but : it was the original tone on the studio version.
We all have the alchemy version in head, but we forgot that the studio version was with distortion for the lead, while the intro arpegios were on acoustic.

And I find that this tone suited very well with the overall tone he had for the GH tour. Distortion was also used on other songs which had clean sound in orginal version (the bug, water of love)

usually I prefer the strat than the LP, but I like wild theme on LP + heavy tone during 2001 promo tour (version on the STP maxi) or at Montserrat.
it strange that he came back to the red schecter in 97-99

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 38 queries.