Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Terry Williams Interview 2013  (Read 22545 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: Terry Williams Interview 2013
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 10:59:44 PM »
doesn't start playing for me (the interview) but that youtube vid, boy, for Terry to be playing with what must have been many of his childhood hero's...awesome..
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinejakehadlee

• Local Hero
    • Dire Streets
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 12:57:34 AM »
Very interesting - thanks for the link!

Terry pretty much confirms OES was a contractual obligation album thrown together by MK out of necessity - which is exactly what it sounds like.

LoveExpresso

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 07:42:31 AM »
I like the tone in his voice when he asks the interviewer "have you ever seen Dire Straits live?"

Whereas I find disgusting the "joke" the interviewer does about the circumstances of the death of Jeff Pocaro.

Nice:

"Definitily no drugs. Glasses of wine or whatever, but we weren't heavy drinkers. We weren't party animals. We weren't boring, don't get me wrong.
We didn't have groupies. A bunch-of-old -men-playing-serious-music-kind-of-attitude"   ;D

LE
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 07:54:20 AM by Love Expresso »

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2014, 09:36:44 AM »
And again, Mark once more appears not as the friendliest man... Although Terry really tries to be polite, between the lines you can read that Mark could not cope with Terry saying he doesn't like the way the studio work turned out and sent him home..

LE

yes, and on the contrary it seems that Alan Clark was friendlier, at least with Terry...maybe I understood wrong, but I heard that Terry spent a lot of time with him having fun playing in pubs, right ?
it's always interesting to hear the History that we know from the "official" side from another point of view, and more, from an "inside" point of view, so to say

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2014, 09:53:23 AM »
At 2:02:18 onwards you can see the handsigns of BB King, that were described by Terry Williams  to signal the breaks and the restart of the rhythm pattern.
yes it's a common way for "oldschool" musicians, like Chuck berry and all...

For his 60th birthday, BB King played with EC, SRV, Collins, Etta James, etc... in LA

during "Let the good times roll", it's funny to hear that Etta James wanted to start the breaks one verse earlier, and the drummers don't follow her...
She tries the handsigns like BB King, at 1:49, but it doesn't work...

She has to try again and then it's ok... surely because BB King gave the GO

BB King is the chief, and you can't pass over his leadership  ;D

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2014, 09:57:54 AM »
Terry pretty much confirms OES was a contractual obligation album thrown together by MK out of necessity - which is exactly what it sounds like.

100% agree

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2014, 10:19:55 AM »
At 2:02:18 onwards you can see the handsigns of BB King, that were described by Terry Williams  to signal the breaks and the restart of the rhythm pattern.
yes it's a common way for "oldschool" musicians, like Chuck berry and all...

For his 60th birthday, BB King played with EC, SRV, Collins, Etta James, etc... in LA

during "Let the good times roll", it's funny to hear that Etta James wanted to start the breaks one verse earlier, and the drummers don't follow her...
She tries the handsigns like BB King, at 1:49, but it doesn't work...

She has to try again and then it's ok... surely because BB King gave the GO

BB King is the chief, and you can't pass over his leadership  ;D

Ha Ha, yes, she stepped in too early

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2014, 12:22:05 AM »
Thanks so much for sharing this.  Very interesting interview, the kind of which I have been longing to hear fior years.
Terry comes across as a very humble man who was faithful to the Straits. Nice touch to hear he even went to see them during the OES tour.  A big mistake not to use him but then I think he was better off out of it.

Would be good to hear from Alan an interview of the same ilk now that his band have parted company.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2014, 11:46:43 PM »

100% agree

This more or less the same as Joop de Korte said about the EOS tour, something like "Mark felt bored with it from day one"

About drummer, who Mark referred about his playing on Sultans of Swing as "spoiling* it for years"?

* : this is not the exact word used.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2014, 05:28:26 PM »
Quite simply one of the best interviews I've ever listened to. So interesting with plenty of DS chat. Sorry if you've already heard it but I hadn't and wanted to share in case you hadn't too. https://soundcloud.com/simon-vine-podcaster/terry-williams-interview-march
for some reason it simply will NOT start playing for me. is anyone able to help me out?

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2014, 05:33:25 PM »
Quite simply one of the best interviews I've ever listened to. So interesting with plenty of DS chat. Sorry if you've already heard it but I hadn't and wanted to share in case you hadn't too. https://soundcloud.com/simon-vine-podcaster/terry-williams-interview-march
for some reason it simply will NOT start playing for me. is anyone able to help me out?

This link only works for people who don't turn R&J into a pee break at MK's concert  :P

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2014, 05:35:30 PM »

This link only works for people who don't turn R&J into a pee break at MK's concert  :P
but terry has no part in that??

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2014, 05:40:22 PM »

but terry has no part in that??

:hmm ???

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2014, 06:49:52 PM »

100% agree
When OES was released, my DS fan friends hated it as "not real DS".
As for me, I was so blown away by the masterpieces on the album (the addictive tittle track, the haunting PONO, the very moving Iron Hand, the erotic YAYF) that I could easily forgive the mistakes (the commercial Heavy Fuel, the too much country orientated songs).
As for the tour, I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, it was my first time seeing DS live, so I have found memories. Also Mark's guitar playing was the best ever. On the other hand, Mark's bad mood, the lack of keyboards compared to the BIA tour (yes, I love keynoards !) and the overall "over commercialized" feeling put me off. Can't decide whether it was the best or the worst of tours. Probably both. Telegraph road is a good example: most impressive end solo, but that seems like a show off exercise showing no respect for the song: too rushed, no intro, no emotion, obscene amount of pedal steel.
The OES album and tour are a big paradox to me. A mixture of very best and very worst.

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2014, 11:39:59 PM »
@Pottel: Don't know if you have already fixed the issue. Maybe this is helpful?

From souncloud help:
"Always make sure that your browser and Flash player are updated to the latest versions; if you've installed any flash or ad-blocking plugins in your browser, please add soundcloud.com to the exceptions list in the plugin settings.
Also, always try to reload the page first and double-check using a different browser as in most cases, playback hiccups are only temporary. "

and Safari causes also problems:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5983245?tstart=0

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 40 queries.