Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Danny Cummings about Drumming and Ian Thomas and more  (Read 27282 times)

LoveExpresso

Re: Danny Cummings about Drumming and Ian Thomas and more
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 02:28:23 PM »
He was also involved in the Golden Heart recordings don't forget and at the OES tour he was a band member.. so he really knows MK for a very long time.
And that is what I admired: He really KNEW what MK wanted because he knows him so well. And on Get Lucky, you can hear that literally. Far from being a hired musician but a real confidant..

But one thing is for sure, and I know MK also for some time now  ;D: Danny will never come back. Same as Chad, same as Jack, same as David, same as...

LE

foma

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 02:31:15 PM »
Danny will never come back. Same as Chad, same as Jack, same as David, same as...

...same as Dire Straits :lol

OfflineBluebird

• Local Hero
    • Meine kleine Mark Knopfler Website
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 04:04:28 PM »
I've no understanding of playing drums, but my ears tell me what sounds nice. I agree with all the comments you made here. Since IT is sitting at the drums, I especially don't like Sultans of Swing no longer und I don't listen to the versions from the Privateering tour, only older versions. His drumming drowned out everything else in large parts and in my ears it sounds terrible. I thind, it's a real pity.

I wonder why MK doesn't feel the same. ??? He could change that.

I miss Danny Cummings too, also as a person, and Matt Rollings as well, although I also like Jim Cox.

Bluebird

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 05:16:09 PM »
I wonder if there are any contractual issues

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2014, 08:50:35 PM »
I wonder why MK doesn't feel the same. ??? He could change that.

But Mark dropped SOS for much of the 2013 tour, especially during the second half. I could have understood that he did not paly it at all but it was strange to see that one being dropped in the middle (and SAN as well).

Sultans of Swing preformed on 16 gigs out of 75 : 

Teatro antico, Taormina, Italy on July 16, 2013

Royal Albert Hall, London, England on June 1, 2013
    Royal Albert Hall, London, England on May 31, 2013
    Royal Albert Hall, London, England on May 27, 2013
    BIC Windsor Hall, Bournemouth, England on May 21, 2013
    Echo Arena, Liverpool, England on May 19, 2013
    Sportpaleis, Antwerp, Belgium on May 12, 2013

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

LoveExpresso

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 10:32:51 PM »
yeah he fed up with it after Ianto butchered it.

LE

OfflineBluebird

• Local Hero
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2014, 10:43:18 PM »
Hi, Ds1984

Did I get you right? Are you thinking MK had dropped Sultans because of IT's drumming?

What I meant was: If MK hadn't like Ian Thomas' drumming he could have instruct him to change his drumming instead of dropping Sultans. Assuming that MK really hadn't like his kind of drumming.

Dropping Sultans especially during the second half of the tour, I think, was a bit unfair on all concert visiters of the second half who were looking forward to Sultans.

Bluebird

LoveExpresso

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2014, 10:47:37 PM »
You are right about being unfair, but I guess MK does not think in these dimensions. In his world, we can be happy to hear what he offers us. He plays and we are just guests, attending (coincidentally) what he plays. And no one ever has any wish to utter which song he likes to hear.. sounds bitter? Oh yes!

Same with Steedway, the highpoint and rocker from the set list suddenly was put off..

But I also think he respects his Musicians, Ianto is the drummer so he has to play the drums. MK probably will not give too many instructions.. not nowadays I think.. some little hints here and there.. sorry if I answer your question but I had the same idea about Ianto butchering sultans. But maybe it is just a theory. And MK just had trouble playing it..

LE

OfflineBluebird

• Local Hero
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2014, 11:14:19 PM »
LE

no reason to say "Sorry". I'am glad about every comment.  :)

Bluebird

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2014, 12:24:46 AM »
Sorry guys,
blaming the new drummer that Mk stopped playing SOS is kind of cybermobbing.
I can understand that some of you prefer DC drumming to Iantos and others viceversa. But just try to be fair!
(SOS with Pick Withers, Terry Williams, Chris Witten, Chad Cromwell, Danny Cummings, Ed Bicknell and some jump ins, but Ian Thomas ruined it. That's ridiculous)

LoveExpresso

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2014, 12:42:59 AM »
Although cybermobbing is a bit heavy you might be right. Let's stay with Danny..

LE
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 09:04:01 AM by Love Expresso »

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2014, 12:56:12 AM »
Although cybermobbing is a bit heavy you might be tight. Let's stay with Danny..

LE
Yes, too harsh! Sorry... But i didn't like the direction of the arguments. It had no real substance (MK has never explained why he doesn't play Sultans. But he doesn't play TOL, MFN, WOL and many more songs these days). 

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2014, 07:01:57 AM »
Thanks for posting,
let us give a chance to Ian Thomas, he played with the greatest guitarists like Clapton and Gilmour. This is his first album with Mark and they need to know and discover each other. I'm pretty sure that something will be born on "Tracker" album and futur shows. I realy miss Danny playing especially on "Speedway" but I must admit that Ian playing is more "technical" and sophisticated, when you listen to "telegraph road", he added his personal touch and it sound different, he and Glenn works perfectly together on "Hill farmer's blues", he improvise each time and this is all the spirit of Mark's music, playing different things each night, I like that. I really like his behavior on stage, he seems interacting with other musicians perfectly.

anyway, Terry Williams was the best drummer  ;).
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

OfflineSilvertown

• Lady writer
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2014, 08:12:58 AM »
I've always thought that MK had been very unfair to Danny after the GL tour, even if no one here I believe knows what really happened between the two.

But if MK said one day 'hey Danny, you won't be on the next records etc.' I would find it very unfair.

There is nothing unfair here. Mark selects musicians which he thinks to work best for him. I guess that Danny is still friend of Mark

surferboy

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2014, 08:15:03 AM »
I remembered a Danny-message on Guy's forum. It's from 28th June 2011:

"Yes, I am in contact withe Dan and this morning he sent me this note for the forum...I've just been waiting for an opportunity to post - - - - Hi Y'all, This is a note of thanks to those of you who have written into the forum and said that, they will miss me. It was so sweet of you to say so and I want to make it clear to you, how I feel. Mark and I have often talked about Ian Thomas, a really superb musician and drummer one that all other musicians admire and want to play with. With the return to the line up of Jim Cox there would probably be no better moment, to make the switch and "refresh" the band. With Ian's touch, groove and sensitivity, Mark has made "a wonderful choice". See you later Alligator Much love danny"

I also remember reading somewhere that Glen wanted/asked for a change of drummer, but I can't find it anymore.

I miss Danny terribly since he was the band member who interacted the most with the front of stage fans at the end of the shows, appreciating the "thank you" writings etc.
But I have to say that I love Ian's very subtle drumming on the Privateering album and for me it suits Mark's music perfectly. So the change makes sense to me although my heart is bleeding for no longer having Danny in the band anymore.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 10:13:33 AM by surferboy »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 50 queries.