Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Danny Cummings about Drumming and Ian Thomas and more  (Read 27078 times)

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
Re: Danny Cummings about Drumming and Ian Thomas and more
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2014, 01:36:48 PM »
I've always thought that MK had been very unfair to Danny after the GL tour, even if no one here I believe knows what really happened between the two.

But if MK said one day 'hey Danny, you won't be on the next records etc.' I would find it very unfair.

There is nothing unfair here. Mark selects musicians which he thinks to work best for him.

Fair enough indeed, though I don't see what works best since Danny left, but that's not my band !  ;)

What I THINK is unfair is, when MK called Danny some day in March 2005 to replace Chad "with no rehearsals and barely a soundcheck", Danny came and did it with "passion" and stayed for 5 years.  Yes, it was a great opportunity for him but maybe he had other commitments and still he came.

Some will say that after 5 years in his band, Mark did owe nothing to Danny, fair enough too.

IT being technically better? When? Where? I'd say their styles are quite different but I don't think IT is better than DC. Danny is a very versatile player and can play any style, both on percussions AND on the drums.

But still, Danny did a wonderful job both live and in the studio. I love his drumming on Kill to get crimson and Get lucky. On stage, a subtle mix of groove, power, a great feel with MK and the rest of the band, a complete musician, a great drummer and a wise man who was able to adapt to MK's music, playing with "simplicity and precision" and with passion.

I personally think that the band sounded waaay better with Danny behind the drums, and to a certain point, with Matt on piano (but that's another story).

I thought Danny WAS in the band for good -- and he deserved it -- and I'm not the only one who misses him apparently.  ;)

« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 04:57:43 PM by NicoMK »

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2014, 02:15:17 PM »
I hope IT doesn't read AMIT!

For what it's worth I think that Danny was good for morale on the road as he seemed such an easy going sort of person and always enjoyed a laugh.  You could tell that when the band got together at the end of the show and also on the couple of videos Guy made.  I'm not saying IT isn't, but he'd do well to beat Danny.

As for who's the better player - I don't play so I don't know.  I don't play keyboards either but it's pretty obvious to me that Jim is leagues ahead of Matt.  Did I just contradict myself there?  Ah well!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 02:17:34 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2014, 04:52:29 PM »
One thing among others that I used to love

OfflineSilvertown

• Lady writer
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2014, 05:15:10 PM »
One thing among others that I used to love

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2014, 07:41:46 PM »
Hi, Ds1984

Did I get you right? Are you thinking MK had dropped Sultans because of IT's drumming?

[...]

Bluebird

I don't know why but it is strange that he did that way so obviously something wasn't right in 2013. I would have said because his guitar playing as from one night to another it was between not to bad to pretty eratic.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 08:50:28 PM by NicoMK »

Offlinedannr1

• Camerado
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2014, 10:45:49 PM »
Nothing new to add to this discussiob except I miss Danny loads as well! :'(

Offlinecommunique

• Local Hero
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2014, 03:53:34 PM »
The reason why Mark dropped Danny from the band was because Chuck Ainlay strongly suggested that he do so. Chuck actually admitted this in an interview he did last year. For some reason Chuck did not think that Danny was a very good drummer. I too miss Danny in the band and feel that Ian's style does not really fit in with Mark's music.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2014, 04:56:48 PM »
The reason why Mark dropped Danny from the band was because Chuck Ainlay strongly suggested that he do so. Chuck actually admitted this in an interview he did last year. For some reason Chuck did not think that Danny was a very good drummer. I too miss Danny in the band and feel that Ian's style does not really fit in with Mark's music.

Now Chuck knows what it's like to be dropped by Mark.

Thinking about it, I suppose all these guys are only on a one album or one tour type contract so they aren't really "dropped" but just not used again.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 05:00:32 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2014, 06:16:45 PM »
Yeah, this would also be my guess. But contracts and the feeling of togetherness are still two different pairs of shoes. In the end there will still be the feeling of being dropped

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2014, 08:38:52 PM »
Link to Chuck's interview?
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2014, 08:52:23 PM »
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2014, 11:04:53 PM »
Thinking about it, I suppose all these guys are only on a one album or one tour type contract so they aren't really "dropped" but just not used again.

Jack Sonni has said in an itw something like "with Dire Straits you were hired for a job. It's a wonderful job, but when it's over, it's over"

however, with the 96ers, several musicians are NOT only on a one album an a tour since 20 years (Richard, Glenn, etc..) so the drummer has always been a case "apart" so to say

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2014, 11:03:09 AM »
Chad had Chuck  :thumbsup so if it hasnet been by whatever the problem he had that made him leave the MK tour he'd be probably with MK nowadays.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

foma

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2014, 11:43:48 AM »
I can't say so much praise words about Danny, although Sonny and Speedway was a real treat to listen.

The best MK's drummer in my opinion was Chad of course, he added something in each and every song, take 'Old Pigweed', '5:15 a.m.', he handled the beasts like 'Imelda', 'No Can Do' and 'Silvertown Blues' and, in other hand, played jazzy on 'The Ragpicker's Dream', folky on an album of the same name. Anyway songs with him are so fresh every time, its like he changed the whole drum kit for every song, very subtle, clever and professional job, like Worf's one.

I found Danny a little bit monotonous, with same sounds and patterns every time, with this straight 4/4 rock beat in each and every song, even waltzes sounds the same, I don't know how to explain this. Ian Thomas, in my opinion, kinda higgledy-piggledy drummer, who wants to play, but he do it in a hurry, and wants to end a song with his word every time. And maybe it was his idea to start 'Corned Beef City' with his solo? I don't know. I don't like his hi-hat work much. All I can say about him

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 38 queries.