Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Song meanings #12 & #35  (Read 2440 times)

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
Song meanings #12 & #35
« on: November 25, 2014, 09:47:48 AM »
Was just trying to explain to my dear wife the beauty and subtle, but complex amazingness of Marks songwriting, using 515am as an example. As I was telling the story of each verse (which I have only learnt by googling the "song meanings" website in he past and reading other peoples opinions) I managed to become even more mindblown and speechless at the genius of it all.
I think I've previously posted my thoughts about a few songs, Jack & the Beanstalk etc,and whilst these things are never conclusive unless MK actually discusses the process, and thankfully he rarely does.
If any AMITer has an esoteric song interpretation I'd like to hear it. I love these theories even when I think, "Nah I don't think so".
 It's cool how the lyrics make us imagine different things.
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlineallen

• A Mark in Time
  • Founder
  • Romeo
  • La KnopflerTK
    • A Mark in Time
Re: Song meanings #12 & #35
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 05:27:18 AM »
Let's do it with each song from the first album of DS to the last solo one from MK.  :-)  English is not my mother tougue, so it's hard for me to get the deeper meaning of some songs, but I'd love to read what you think.

Wishes
Allen
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 08:31:44 AM »
Hello AMIT Friends. I translated in french about 15 songs and it wasn't easy at all because there are the meaning of what you read which is quite clear for songs like Sultans of Swing, Money for nothing, Brothers in Arms or Telegraph Road from DS period but there are others that aren't limpid at all in my opinion like for example News. And it's also true that for me neither is english my mother tongue!! So then adding that you can't be in MK's brains it' s impossible to be sure of what was behind the words he wrote!!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 10:07:11 PM by Marijo58 »
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

foma

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 10:31:12 AM »
I've read many books and interviews about songwriting and all that I can say

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 11:52:43 AM »
I've read many books and interviews about songwriting and all that I can say
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 05:16:46 PM by jbaent »
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 09:46:12 PM »
Let's do it with each song from the first album of DS to the last solo one from MK.  :-)  English is not my mother tougue, so it's hard for me to get the deeper meaning of some songs, but I'd love to read what you think.

Wishes
Allen

Last tour there was a great discussion here about Marbletown and interpretations of the instrumental section. I've always felt that the remarkable solo and structure of DTTWaterline sounds like something reaching a climax (!) in line with the young physical love / get it where you can theme.
I've always wondered if Mark had that in mind when writing, but it was only after reading the Matbletown stuff that I thought it's possible! The man is deep, and always has been.
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.026 seconds with 38 queries.