Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Things that annoy you about Mark's concerts.....  (Read 12410 times)

Offlineschmonka

• Camerado
Things that annoy you about Mark's concerts.....
« on: January 13, 2015, 04:12:42 AM »
As we have a new string of concerts rapidly approaching - I thought it may be interesting to share with other forumists the things that bug and annoy you when you are either leading up to, or actually attending a MK concert.

For me I have a couple of wee niggles....

1) I hate being "sweet".....
2) The "We're going to play for a long time" line......no your not....you know exactly how long your going to play and what songs will make up the set.....dont try to convince me otherwise..... ;D
3) Continually "overlooking" territories that are crying out for an MK visit, such as South America/Australia etc.  Yes I'm sure it costs buckets of money to send the kit and the team there, but it would be nice to give a little back to these places who after all have very loyal fanbases.
4) Setlists - Yes, yes I know this has been a hot topic of recent tours and I know you cant please all of the people all of the time.....but really? They have been large chunks of the same set list for over a decade now.  That whole SAN/MT/TR section - thats a BIG chuck of the set that hasnt changed much at all.  For an artist of MK's calibre and back catalogue its not as if there is a material shortage.  He doesnt seem to like to be out of that "comfort zone" and even when Guy reports on his forum that band members suggest potential tunes to run out on a tour, Mark often doesnt seem keen instead opting for tunes that have been played many times before.  I wont be able to see MK this time as he isnt coming anywhere near i live, and to be honest I'm not that gutted as i know as far of the setlist is concerned, it will be pretty much as per last time....its all got a bit :'( 
5) Lack of surprises.....when you go to a MK concert you pretty much know there wont be any real surprises.  The tour set is practiced and polished by the guys during rehersals and thats how it stays throughout the tour.  Doesnt it get a bit boring for the guys to do the same set night after night?  MK seems to think if he should try something different in terms of set or arrangement that its all going to fall apart and be a disaster...but whats to keep the band on their toes and interested?  The last surprise i had was when i didnt see the set list for the GL tour and was really pleased when Border Reiver was the opener.  Yes, the setlist changed a bit last tour....but nothing radical.....it just gets a bit tired....especially for those attending multiple shows....liven things up a bit....you know?

Anyone else have any gripes?
Michael Mcintyre - 2009 - Newport - "Ruff as Fuck"

LoveExpresso

Re: Things that annoy you about Mark's concerts.....
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 08:04:55 AM »
You got it all really.

I might add that the "best in the world" introduction seems a little ridiculous to me .. there are legions of good musicians out there, I bet many of them are people that no amiter and even MK has never heard of.. and playing exactly the same 15 songs every night for years and tours now doesn't really need a world class muso, it just needs someone with very good nerves...

To be fair, last tour the first half had some surprises and some small changes here and there, which, badass that I am, I thought of being or it looked like a contract clause maybe from one or the other band member.. I will only come to play with you when there is at least 10 or 12 new songs.. so MK, halfhearted, made a few changes... only a theory I had, don't kill me for this, please.

I remember the reason that all those Spain and France open air shows are not allowing extended soundchecks because of the overhearing people outside is pretty weak but it obviously nails it - so the set gets more and more static (and shorter) the closer we come to the end of the tour. However, . "World class Musicians" of this calibre should be able to be woken up at night, stand up and play anything...

This post of you schmonka, I say it again, is pretty much nailing it - and I found myself thinking during the last few weeks that the efforts AND costs of travelling to Dublin and Newcastle only to see the same Sh..t again  is a pretty big undertaking for probably no surprises - but seeing all the other fans is a big compensation, really!! (I mean it!)  :D

Also the album is not raising any too big expecations for me to be honest - it will be the usual stuff, the usual mixture of anything he has done before, no bold changes, no really exciting no ideas, and more and more most of the songs will sound like a mixture of already known stuff ("it sounds like .. a mixture of iron hand and Man's Too strong - guess"). I would be very happy to be surprised and contradicted by "Beryl", but here are not too high hopes..

Now that I think more of it, I could indeed add one important point to your list from my point of view:
The whole SEATING THING really annoys me very much.
It is just UNNATURAL to go to a show of an electric guitar player who used to be the head of Dire Straits and being forced to sit all the time.
No wonder that all those Spanish/French/Italian shows are so much more powererd with energy by the audience (one of the best 2013 shows (also the one of the shortest - see above) was the Lucca show which we were able to listen to on the radio.. great atmosphere.. Sitting of front of those bad bulls watching at you that you don't move, and then, since 2005 knowing that after Telegraph Road, you kindly are allowed to stand up a little is not exactly rock n' roll isn't it..

Phew. No, I am not selling my tickets, why are you asking?  ;D

LE

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 08:36:36 AM »
Them not so spontaneous and well rehearsed jokes to which the 20 first rows of the show only laugh at in North Korean style.
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 09:47:59 AM »
Can't argue with #3 !! I'd even pay for his plane ticket here :) just mark though, no luggage..
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 10:23:35 AM »
Can't really argue either but it isn't really that bad, is it?   ;)

BTW @LE:  Lucca happens to be a seated show.

Hours before the 2010 show:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/davids_leicas/4797217530/in/set-72157624378387509

P.S.  Good luck, see you at the end!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Onlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 10:31:21 AM »
I agree with a lot that has been said, but "on the night" I love it all too much and I know I will be there at as many concerts as I can 'til either me or MK fall over!   ;)

BTW Carcassonne was entirely seated too and the atmosphere was fantastic!   :)

Thanks for the pictures of Lucca, dmg!   We had a wonderful holiday there in 2013, after the festival.    :wave
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 10:41:04 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 10:52:03 AM »
I agree with a lot that has been said, but "on the night" I love it all too much and I know I will be there at as many concerts as I can 'til either me or MK fall over!   ;)

BTW Carcassonne was entirely seated too and the atmosphere was fantastic!   :)

Thanks for the pictures of Lucca, dmg!   We had a wonderful holiday there in 2013, after the festival.    :wave

I spent a few days there too!  Lovely place.

One last thing.  Concert ticket=
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 10:55:24 AM by dmg »

Onlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 10:56:03 AM »

Phew. No, I am not selling my tickets, why are you asking?  ;D

LE

Well, it did cross my mind to ask, LE!    ;D   See you in Newcastle!   :wave
Goin' into Tow Law....

LoveExpresso

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 11:18:06 AM »
Looking forward seeing you all and the towns Dublin and Edinburgh and Newcastle.. and MK of course.

Well dmg, about Lucca, it did not sound very seated 2013..  ;D

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 11:43:35 AM »
Looking forward seeing you all and the towns Dublin and Edinburgh and Newcastle.. and MK of course.

Well dmg, about Lucca, it did not sound very seated 2013..  ;D

LE

It doesn't, does it!  It's those lovely, enthusiastic Italian fans.  ;D

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 11:44:20 AM »
I agree with you Schmonka and LE but still .....
We are only the first 20 rows. A lot of people come to see the frontman of DS, and are disappointed because he only plays 2 or 3 DS-songs nowadays. So yes, something changed. I think more people will complain when he doesn't play the usual, I don't mean us. So I think that from marketing point of view they look at the setlist too.

And when I am sitting in a concert, day after day. Yes, same setlist, but I still enjoy all concerts.
I would love to have a standing gig in Amsterdam again, in the good old Heineken Music Hall. Great sound, great atmosphere. But one of the things must be the number of tickets sold. Another thing is I would love to have the smaller venues again. 3 times HMH is much better than one time Ziggodome  :)

Anyway, looking forward to see you all again. I planned 10 shows in Europe, so I hope to meet a lot of you again

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 04:10:05 PM »
What annoys me is that the second half of the show is the same since 2008 tour, with only one difference between the three previous tours, sometimes the last song is Going Home, sometimes Piper to the end, or even you can be luckier and have So far away as the last, that you are going to have in that second half anyway... It makes me feel like if that second half was a waste of time, something that I already had seen too many times.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 04:41:01 PM »
I can kind of understand why he doesnt vary the set list night to night, but from tour to tour is very frustrating as a fan.

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 11:59:16 PM »
Very interesting thread. As a musician myself I have often wondered how playing with MK could be of interest to other musicians, aside from playing for a master. Not only is the set so rigid but I imagine if you dared to play a note out of position you would.be in hot water. Perhaps the OES days didn't see a band that was too big, but just too boring after a year on the road playing the same.old tunes.

It is certainly disappointing that given the vast array of tunes in Marks catalogue he sticks to a select few even from more recent times.

I am not at all in love with his solo work but will still be going with a mate to the London gig for what will no doubt be a peaceful beer , seated with an outside chance of hearing a straits tune I like from the depths of the cavern that is the o2. 

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 12:52:33 AM »
I effing LOATHE boozing and filming and chatting in the audience!!!
Not looking forward to the open air shows.
I am still disappointed and traumatised after my 2013 concert in Bad Mergentheim.

Oh, this was about MK's stage performce? Agree with everything said in the first post.

And hello again BTW  :wave

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 40 queries.