Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (11) Wherever I Go (feat Ruth Moody) (6:24)  (Read 83656 times)

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
Re: BREAKING NEWS: WHEREVER I GO ON TALENTHOUSE!
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2015, 05:24:46 PM »
In the case of Wherever I Go yes. Beryl is very generic sounding and Wherever I Go is almost painful to listen to without falling asleep.I hope the other tracks are classic MK because these two tracks are as medicore as you can get.

And if it isn't, then wat? I'm getting utterly fed up with people constantly bashing everything the man makes. Sometimes it seems everything is called boring,and  painful here. And what is "classic MK"? It makes no sense at all. He makes a lot of different music, so the closest you get to whatever I think is his classic sound is the song we've heard already. Beryl. You don't have to like everything put can people please consider he is 65 years old and he doesn't have to do it at all? Be happy. I'm away now, can't stand the negativism anymore, I'm very sorry.
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2015, 05:25:15 PM »
Guest vocalists always means a weak song that needed a gimmick to make it sound halfway decent. A strong solid song never needs any other vocalist other than the songwriter himself!

I think Ruth is on "Wherever I Go" because of her wonderful voice, and because of the fact that this song works great as a duett. I really liked it from first listen. Wonderful melodi and lyrics. The lyrics seems more "generic" than many of Mark's songs, not based on a spesific story, but I think it is great with just a universal love song from Mark. A great album closer, way above the closer on "Privateering". Not to mention the great guitar lines. I am happy :)
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

OfflineD44mu

• Guitar George
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2015, 05:33:27 PM »
In the case of Wherever I Go yes. Beryl is very generic sounding and Wherever I Go is almost painful to listen to without falling asleep.I hope the other tracks are classic MK because these two tracks are as medicore as you can get.
This is your opinion. But you wrote it as it were the only possible explantion after hearing these songs. And please explain what "classic MK" mean?

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2015, 05:39:27 PM »
Guest vocalists always means a weak song that needed a gimmick to make it sound halfway decent. A strong solid song never needs any other vocalist other than the songwriter himself!

From 18 of your posts, 16 are negative ones - are you sure you're an MK fan?    I see that you didn't like Privateering either!   :think
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2015, 05:42:44 PM »
And still, everytime there is blues involved the "softy slow tune-KTGC loving-people" automatically has the right to say "oh yuck, another blues track" and shall never ever be questioned about their opinion  :)

Get over it, some people like this and others like that.

Once the career and touring is over, people would die to hear any kind of song again.
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

LoveExpresso

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2015, 06:09:57 PM »
I always see this as a big room full of people (like on a party) or a house with several rooms.. everyone shows up here and there occasionally, says something or not. I spend a lot of time of the day in this house and when there is something to say, I don't mind saying what I think - but that is not done with the idea of trying to convince or persuade the other people but just to .. utter an opinion.  ;D (Maybe on a Monday I've got something to say, and certainly when we got a complete new MK song so surprisingly.

I know the feeling when I love something and there are others not having the same feeling - sometimes it makes me automatically go into self defence or I start to defend the matter or the thing.. but today, I am SO pleased with everything I heard so far about Tracker, that it is just one song that fails to give me something. There is a new complete Knopfler song in the house and I don't care about it - in fact, I listened to it 5 or 6 times now, trying to find something beautiful in it, but there isn't. I stare at the timescale and think, wow, that have only been 3 minutes, and another 3 to go, feels waaaaay tooo long this song... that's the way it goes..
It shows how different we all are. For me, this song is just not original the slightest, it is exactly the kind of thing that he uses to give away when he contributes to other people's albums - the usual trademarks are there, but we know he can do better and probably will do so on his next own album.
Well, this time, FOR ME, this hope was not approved.
14 other great songs to look forward to! At least!

:)

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2015, 06:16:13 PM »
I always see this as a big room full of people (like on a party) or a house with several rooms.. everyone shows up here and there occasionally, says something or not. I spend a lot of time of the day in this house and when there is something to say, I don't mind saying what I think - but that is not done with the idea of trying to convince or persuade the other people but just to .. utter an opinion.  ;D (Maybe on a Monday I've got something to say, and certainly when we got a complete new MK song so surprisingly.

I know the feeling when I love something and there are others not having the same feeling - sometimes it makes me automatically go into self defence or I start to defend the matter or the thing.. but today, I am SO pleased with everything I heard so far about Tracker, that it is just one song that fails to give me something. There is a new complete Knopfler song in the house and I don't care about it - in fact, I listened to it 5 or 6 times now, trying to find something beautiful in it, but there isn't. I stare at the timescale and think, wow, that have only been 3 minutes, and another 3 to go, feels waaaaay tooo long this song... that's the way it goes..
It shows how different we all are. For me, this song is just not original the slightest, it is exactly the kind of thing that he uses to give away when he contributes to other people's albums - the usual trademarks are there, but we know he can do better and probably will do so on his next own album.
Well, this time, FOR ME, this hope was not approved.
14 other great songs to look forward to! At least!

:)

LE

Yes, I hear what you are saying, LE, but for some people on this forum, their cup is ALWAYS half-empty!    ::)
Goin' into Tow Law....

LoveExpresso

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2015, 06:29:36 PM »
It's easier to see it the other way around, makes life more comfortable. But these people have my sympathy, and I don't judge them, each to his own.
It is not the end of the world when a MK song is bad, as I said earlier, I could name at least two songs on every solo album that I could easily live without.
Or maybe almost, on STP and Get Lucky, there are none.

By the way, the song plays in the background, I just think their voices do not blend particularly well together, with Mark and Emmy, it was much better.
And I really hope, the Saxophone is not too much used on Tracker, I do not like it. Every new direction and attempt that replaces too much pipes and flutes is welcome, for example Kim Wilson was very great and fresh, but I already had trouble with Nigels contribution on the tour - worked perfectly well without him. Plus the Gibson solo sounds too familiar - heard at other occasions more than enough. It is the solo from the short film by the way, so we have sorted that out now definitely.

Looking forward to hear Long Cool Girl, River Towns, Laughs & Jokes, Basil complete, and... and... and..

LE

Offlineolazabalrok

• Camerado
  • don't burn the pig
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2015, 06:31:40 PM »
Beautiful  :)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2015, 06:35:12 PM »
It's easier to see it the other way around, makes life more comfortable. But these people have my sympathy, and I don't judge them, each to his own.
It is not the end of the world when a MK song is bad, as I said earlier, I could name at least two songs on every solo album that I could easily live without.
Or maybe almost, on STP and Get Lucky, there are none.

By the way, the song plays in the background, I just think their voices do not blend particularly well together, with Mark and Emmy, it was much better.
And I really hope, the Saxophone is not too much used on Tracker, I do not like it. Every new direction and attempt that replaces too much pipes and flutes is welcome, for example Kim Wilson was very great and fresh, but I already had trouble with Nigels contribution on the tour - worked perfectly well without him. Plus the Gibson solo sounds too familiar - heard at other occasions more than enough. It is the solo from the short film by the way, so we have sorted that out now definitely.

Looking forward to hear Long Cool Girl, River Towns, Laughs & Jokes, Basil complete, and... and... and..

LE

Yes, I noticed that the solo on the short film was from the Mark and Ruth song!   I like it very much, but it is familiar.   ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2015, 06:43:38 PM »

What should we say about the whole ATRR album then?

And The Last Laugh is among my faves ones on STP.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2015, 07:04:36 PM »

What should we say about the whole ATRR album then?

And The Last Laugh is among my faves ones on STP.

Indeed, don't take him too serious. Strange remark
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineK-alberto

• Camerado
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2015, 07:22:59 PM »
Maybe this song will not ... "explode" in something like the live version of Kingdom of Gold (which for me is one of the masterpieces of all MK's carreer).... BUT I love Mark's and Ruth's voices, together and alone, this is a wonderful duet, a classic closing for an album that is promising A LOT!

Can't wait for MArch 16!!!!!!!!!

Offlinerichardmu

• Local Hero
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2015, 07:51:37 PM »
I listened to it a few times with an open mind. I believe I will never listen again. This song has nothing for me. imho it's extremely boring, almost knocked me out.

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2015, 07:58:16 PM »
I listened to it once but I don't feel like listen to it again. I hope that it grows on me with more listenings, if I feel like listening to it again.

By the way, to make the video, understand the lyrics must be important. I like the idea.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 40 queries.