Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (4) Skydiver (4:38)  (Read 31981 times)

OfflineMaxx

• Camerado
Re: (4) Skydiver (4:38)
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2015, 01:34:17 PM »
There are at least three voices singing it, one is Ruth for sure, maybe the other two are MK, I thought they were MK, Guy and Ruth, but live, it could work with MK starting, then Guy and Jim joining, and the three at once for ....diver

:think

I think MK will bail out on that one if they're about to do it live and only do the the "-diver", wouldn't he?  :)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2015, 01:34:45 PM »
Probably when the third voice comes in, MK doubled himself, probably even Guy and Ruth, so we are hearing not three but six voices...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2015, 02:35:20 AM »
 ;D If Mark wants to let loose a little, this one would be SO much fun live!!!  Heck, they can all join in!!!!
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2015, 04:50:04 AM »
This song is a total party waiting to happen on stage. 
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

surferboy

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2015, 09:05:00 AM »
This song is a total party waiting to happen on stage.
Exactly my thoughts.
And I so much hope for Oklahoma, too.
These songs would add a new kind of feel good atmosphere to the MK concert experience.
I don't miss Walk of Life, but I would love one or two more lighthearted songs in the set.
Yes, I admit it, I never really grew up.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 09:20:51 AM by surferboy »

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2015, 09:16:15 AM »
Oklahoma is a bonus track that it´s not in the deluxe version but in the limited edition box, so it´s very unlikely...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2015, 09:23:43 AM »
Thank you, recon!    The lyrics of the song certainly seem to fit Lucien Freud pretty well.    ;)

Is it about Lucian Freud? Do we know for sure? Interesting.

surferboy

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2015, 09:46:41 AM »
Yeah, recon presented a wonderful post with really perfect material:
A selfportrait of Freud skydiving, the story of a friend jumping out of a Bentley while Freud was driving, his beeing banned from the courses, his gambling passion, a pic of MK and Kitty in front of one of his paintings, but above all Freud's individual lifestyle as the reason why MK got interested to write a song about him: a person who lived his own life, so different from a normal 8 to 5 job life.

Such great research work and such a pitty recon seems to have gone...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 09:53:49 AM by surferboy »

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2015, 10:35:21 AM »
A selfportrait of Freud skydiving, the story of a friend jumping out of a Bentley while Freud was driving, his beeing banned from the courses, his gambling passion, a pic of MK and Kitty in front of one of his paintings, but above all Freud's individual lifestyle as the reason why MK got interested to write a song about him: a person who lived his own life, so different from a normal 8 to 5 job life.

Wow, fantastic, thanks! I'll see if I can still find it. Some great research being done, here, I'm impressed!

Offlinewespresso

• Camerado
  • Stick at it..
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2015, 03:14:35 PM »

Is the post gone? Because I am really curious

OfflineLestroid

• Local Hero
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2015, 04:50:01 PM »

Is the post gone? Because I am really curious

I too am sad to see that his post has disappeared, but I found a couple of things he mentioned.  Here is the photo of MK and Kitty at the Tate Museum for an exhibit of Lucian Freud's work: http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/dire-straits-lead-singer-mark-knopfler-and-his-partner-at-news-photo/3197365

The obituary of Lucian Freud from the Telegraph mentions some of his eccentric behavior that seems to be reflected in MK's song.

"The divide mirrored that which Freud maintained in his social life. He moved easily and steadily between the two worlds, perhaps breakfasting at a workmen's café before driving his Bentley rapidly (if erratically) to Soho for a day's drinking and betting with Jeffrey Bernard or the photographer John Deakin. Freud was a notorious and reckless gambler, and in 1983 was warned off the Turf after reneging on debts to bookmakers of some £20,000."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/8657706/Lucian-Freud-OM.html

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2015, 05:13:14 PM »
The link to Lucian Freud is interesting, but to be honest i've the feeling that i don't understand the meaning of the song.
Guy answered in his forum: "No way! The song has nothing to do with actual skydiving" and wasn't it mentioned in an interview by Mark that it has more to do with a dive bomber pilot who can lead a normal life? So, i simply can't put together these informations with the song lyrics, nor does the link with Freud is helping me. I did a little research but nothing really interesting or convincing popped up. What do you all think about the lyrics?

OfflineLestroid

• Local Hero
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2015, 05:24:39 PM »
I seem to recall that MK said in the Tracker Track by Track interview that Skydiver was based on a composite of artists.  Will have to go back and look at that again.  In the booklet with the CD, the picture with the lyrics for Skydiver is a closeup of an oil painting. Since all of the other songs have a picture that illustrates the song, that choice leads me to believe it is about an artist.   I suspect it might be a closeup of the painting at British Grove that is the cover of KTGC, because it is not mentioned in the credits.  There is however a credit to Guy and Henrick Hensen for photos taken at BG. 

As far as Guy's comment about a dive bomber, I don't see any connection there to the lyrics of the song.  Guy has been known to yank the chain of people on his forum, so he is not always a reliable source of information...

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2015, 05:36:33 PM »
Lots of things in the lyrics lead to Lucien Freud.    The fact that he was an artist, hence the oil painting behind the lyric in the booklet and the lyric mentions brushes and a knife.  He was addicted to gambling and was barred from many racecourses.  The lyrics mention that he lost a lot of money at Wincanton, on a horse called "Dive Bomber" - nothing to do with dive-bombing!    He drove a Bentley, also mentioned in the lyric.  Also he was a skydiver and did a self-portrait.    I feel sure it's about Lucien Freud. Everything in the lyric points to it being about him.  :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 40 queries.