Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (5) Mighty Man (5:55)  (Read 25988 times)

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
Re: (5) Mighty Man (5:55)
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2015, 05:10:45 PM »
@holaknopfler: Same here!

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2015, 05:16:03 PM »
So far it's not a real skipper but it doesn't do much to me. Maybe it will grow

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2015, 11:11:54 PM »
A real snoozefest.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

foma

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2015, 12:09:12 AM »
A real snoozefest.

Initially it was a skipper for me, now I love it. I don't know why, but when I play it the beauty of it seem obvious for me. Goosebumps all over, tempo is OK.

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2015, 12:04:15 PM »
Who is the man on the picture in the album notes beside the lyrics of Mighty Man?

OfflineThrottle

• Camerado
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2015, 10:18:34 PM »
Powerful song!
Just sends shivers down the spine.

LoveExpresso

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2015, 10:37:31 PM »
Yes, this is the song that could bring me to tears (if I wasn't just such a tough bastard  ;D) - old people, when they live their last years, often get the former children's rooms when they are at their own children's home, aren't they? So the first sentence ("a room on the top floor") puts us into the right direction. The last paragraph however is really touching - telling what he COULD have been able to do in his life, that he was young and lively and was able to '"stand up on horseback", was the man for the singing, put his hand up for boxing. He charmed all the women and danced round the taproom with a chair in his teeth.".. but the hard labour has made him what he is today, wrecked off, hurt, empty, worn out.

I knew some people in my life that had hard (working) lifes and two of them died and their deaths were happening pretty close to me. Nothing sentimental about that, only saying it to illustrate that I had an immediate connection to this song. An old man, looking back on a hard life and remembering what COULD have been... stuff like this can really break your heart, don't you think?

Mark Knopfler has pretty deep lyrics on Tracker, I can't see any song on Privateering (apart from Today Is Okay) which would have this MK touch. Most of them are pretty artificial instead of artistic. I was never getting warm with the Submariner or Kingdom of Gold for example. I went through all the songs of Privateering this afternoon: maybe Seattle and Yon Two Crows have the usual quality.  This time, there are some songs on Tracker which immediately reached me not only musically but also lyrically. Mighty Man is one of them.

LE

« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 07:37:28 AM by Love Expresso »

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2015, 11:30:24 PM »
LE, i like Privateering. But what you say about the lyrics is perfectly right. I suppose it's the personal approach.

surferboy

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2015, 07:40:30 AM »
Mark Knopfler has pretty deep lyrics on Tracker, I can't see any song on Privateering (apart from Today Is Okay) which would have this MK touch. Most of them are pretty artificial instead of astistic. I was never getting warm with the Submariner or Kingdom of Gold for example. I went through all the songs of Privateering this afternoon: maybe Seattle and Yon Two Crows have the usual quality.  This time, there are some songs on Tracker which immediately reached me not only musically but also lyrically. Mighty Man is one of them.

LE

Disagree partially.
Haul Away is a very beautiful attempt to put into words the painful inner process of having to endure the death of a close and loved person and the process of finally overcoming it. The doldrums is such a beautiful, soothing and consoling picture for a soul that is in the state of painful paralyzation after the death of a loved one when everything in life comes to a standstill and before eventually the doldrums are overcome and the soul gets the wind again to continue the journey of life. Can it get any deeper than that? The poet is once more a compassionate consoler ("to help people through their days... and through their nights").
One could say similar things about Submariner.
Redbud Tree is existential as well.
Privateering has its very deep moments that are hard to sound the depth of.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 11:45:42 AM by surferboy »

OfflineVesper

• Lady writer
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2015, 05:21:45 PM »
Who is the man on the picture in the album notes beside the lyrics of Mighty Man?

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2015, 05:34:50 PM »
Klaas, we solved that riddle in the Broken Bone Thread. It's art photography be Steve Pyke: http://www.pyke-eye.com/I-Could-Read-The-Sky/33/caption The identity of the man is not important for the song understanding.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 11:55:35 PM by yontwocrows »

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2015, 06:19:52 PM »

Richard sure looks different without his beard!  :lol
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2015, 05:19:08 PM »
This song is so boring musically. "Fish and the Bird" Part 2 indeed, whereas I personally like the "original" better. As for the lyrics, we've had that fairground/circus metaphor plenty of times now. "Mighty Man" confirms my impression that MK has become the master of copying himself.

LoveExpresso

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2015, 05:26:48 PM »
Nothing to do with fairground or circus.

LE

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2015, 05:43:23 PM »
Nothing to do with fairground or circus.

LE

Then what's with the last verse?

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 44 queries.