Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Honky Tonk Demos officially released?  (Read 25553 times)

OfflineIngo

• Camerado
Re: The Honky Tonk Demos officially released?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2015, 11:00:55 AM »
I take it these will just be versions that are already available on the Demo's bootleg?  If so, nothing to get too much excited about then.

If this is official stuff indeed it should not be that crappy quality from the demo bootleg! Only Sultans was released in decent quality (even on a CD), on the bootleg we only have noisy mono (!) recordings with some bizarre EQ, and 5% too fast
my Mark Knopfler guitar style website:
http://www.mk-guitar.com/

Onlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2015, 11:09:18 AM »
dmg I am very happy for at least 3 reasons. First because we get a piece of history officially released in a format I love. Secondly (and most important) because this reveals a change in the MK attitude to release demos and songs not already included in the albums we know. Thirdly because since the new deal with Virgin EMI, (Universal), we might expect more such treats! Remember that we are very close to 25 years from OES!   

Boy do I hope you're right!
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2015, 11:20:34 AM »
It's a pity that they release a piece of history of the band and they cut a part of it, which is "Sacred Loving", just because it was a David Knopfler´s song. We know it didn´t make it in the record, but it was part of the demo, think that if they had very few money and they consider to put that song on it, and sending it with the rest of the song chasing their chance... that song deserved to be in this release...

But it´s MK, and DK is not allowed.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OnlineSilvertown

• Lady writer
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2015, 12:08:28 PM »
I take it these will just be versions that are already available on the Demo's bootleg?  If so, nothing to get too much excited about then.

If this is official stuff indeed it should not be that crappy quality from the demo bootleg! Only Sultans was released in decent quality (even on a CD), on the bootleg we only have noisy mono (!) recordings with some bizarre EQ, and 5% too fast

Yes this would be nice to know before ordering...

OfflineIngo

• Camerado
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2015, 02:08:28 PM »

Yes this would be nice to know before ordering...

This is from markknopfler.com, so it seems it was remastered, and should be the original tape recording :)

>>>>>Tuesday, March 10, 2015

The Honky Tonk Demos feature four songs that were part of the original demo tape Dire Straits recorded in July 1977 at London’s Pathway Studios. These four songs made their way to the desk of legendary BBC London DJ Charlie Gillett. On July 31, 1977 Gillett played the version of “Sultans Of Swing” here on his Honky Tonk radio show that led to the group being signed to Phonogram soon after.

With three tracks previously unreleased, this double pack, mastered for vinyl at Bernie Grundman’s, is a true piece of history. The Honky Tonk Demos is a tribute to the early artistry of Dire Straits and the remarkable musical passion of DJ Gillett, who left us five years ago in March 2010.

honkytonk

The Honky Tonk Demos will be available on vinyl for Record Store Day 2015 which falls on Saturday, April 18.
my Mark Knopfler guitar style website:
http://www.mk-guitar.com/

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2015, 12:06:38 AM »
I don't remember David releasing Sacred love afterwards (as a new recording) either. I guess contractual perplexities with the publicing company both then (when David was still a part of DS) and after the 90ies when DS were only MK and JI. So maybe DK can issue a version of the song now? 
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineStiglar

• Local Hero
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2015, 01:59:32 PM »
fingers crossed this ends up online somewhere? I wasn't sure whether to preorder from the french amazon since it listed it as a cd single? has anyone else preordered?

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2015, 02:08:33 PM »
I have. Despite the CD description, further down it states that there are two discs. If the 7'' single has a reason to include only one song in each side, what reason do they have to split 4 songs in two CDs? So my guess was that there must be a typo, and they mean either 2 X 7'' or 1 X CD. Either way I want it, that is why I ordered it!

OfflineStiglar

• Local Hero
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2015, 02:36:31 PM »
I have. Despite the CD description, further down it states that there are two discs. If the 7'' single has a reason to include only one song in each side, what reason do they have to split 4 songs in two CDs? So my guess was that there must be a typo, and they mean either 2 X 7'' or 1 X CD. Either way I want it, that is why I ordered it!

Yes! I saw that too. I managed to find a preorder from an Italian music store on ebay. I went for it since the seller had 100% positive feedback and a money back promise. ebay ad states that it's 2 7" records. Very interesting! 

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2015, 02:57:50 PM »
Yeap, it is the one we are talking about. Of course taking pre-orders, (and pre-paying for the goods) is not on ebay policy. Anyway, it would suit me too, but he charges like 15 Euros for delivery to Greece, while the record costs slightly less than 15 Euros!

OnlineMaroretto

• Local Hero
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2015, 04:18:54 PM »

« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 05:19:32 PM by Maroretto »

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2015, 04:22:10 PM »
I thought record store day is next Saturday!
Thanks Maroretto!
Orderd from Amazon.fr and received notification yesterday that it was dispatched!

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2015, 01:31:09 AM »
Forgive my ignorance but I have two questions:

1. Looking at those scans, I am confused by the date and the details. Are these the Honky Tonk demos that DS sent to Charlie Gillett? Or are they versions of the same songs especially recorded by DS for broadvcast by Charlie Gillett some tie after he had received/played the demos?

2. Like someone earlier, i was told that the only way to get this set was to go to a participating bricks and mortar record shop. The whole point of Record Store Day was that "B&M" record shops would get unusual records that buyers could not buy on-line. It was to encourage punters to seek out (and patronise) their local record shop, so how come these discs are being sold by Amazon?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 11:13:49 AM by twm »

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2015, 02:02:24 AM »
I don't think that there are other versions of the songs than the ones we already know, even through unofficial releases. So, this means that we are talking about the demos they have sent to CG and he aired them on that particular day of July.

As for the second question, I think that the record store day has never been about the small record stores, since it begun when the majority of them have long been shut down. So the number of stores has become  quite small (especially in Greece) and I guess it makes sense to give it to the Amazon "vinyl" department. Anyway, there are several reasons to reconsider the record store day  function and rules, because many of the releases are just cash ins for the big record companies that after finding that vinyl is beginning to sell again, try to take advantage by creating expensive and not quite so limited editions of music desire - abilities.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 05:38:31 PM by vgonis »

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2015, 06:06:12 AM »
I've had Zero success trying to find a Sydney store that will have this :(
Apparently shops involved just get random allocations from the massive list of stock to be issued, some really interesting releases too, like an old Chet Atkins LP and coloured Johnny Cash vinyl...

Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 36 queries.