Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Media Reviews of Tracker  (Read 64542 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Tracker - Reviews only - *** SPOILER ALERT ***
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 11:02:43 PM »
No mention of Bruce Molsky in any of the reports, that says a lot about his contribution...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 11:48:28 PM »
The amount of the word 'slow' is too damn high in this review. I don't hope that it's really th
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 07:57:12 AM »
The amount of the word 'slow' is too damn high in this review. I don't hope that it's really th
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

surferboy

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 08:34:28 AM »
"Slow is exactly what I was expecting, slow is what we are getting since RPD was released on 2002 and nothing has changed except that MK is older."

Exactly. You cannot put it better than that!
To expect anything else is simply not realistic for more than 10 years now. The same holds for the setlist illusions that will soon start again. Besides that he still is the very best there is!

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread, won't happen again.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 09:04:18 AM by surferboy »

OnlineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 11:40:56 AM »
"Slow is exactly what I was expecting, slow is what we are getting since RPD was released on 2002 and nothing has changed except that MK is older."

Exactly. You cannot put it better than that!
To expect anything else is simply not realistic for more than 10 years now. The same holds for the setlist illusions that will soon start again. Besides that he still is the very best there is!

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread, won't happen again.

You are not the only one  :lol  ;) No worries, we won't ban you  :P
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinenavgav

• Guitar George
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 03:40:08 PM »
Any one who is tired of 'slow' MK should check out The War on Drugs - I saw them live last week and they are awesome - great big wall of sound and great synth and guitar work - reminiscent of 85 DS if thats your thing - except maybe better!! I still love MK tho!!

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 11:26:03 PM »
Oh dear, AMIT down and I actually had to do some real work  ;D

Once back, I wanted to share a very nice Australian review. Didn't know that about the clock for example. And the door seems not to have been shut for SOS live or more albums in the future!  :clap

Some mates says it's subscriber only, but it works for me.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/arts/review/the-sultan-mark-knopfler-looks-back-in-his-new-album-trackers/story-fn9n8gph-1227249814538

(The "thinking MK in the rehearsal studio" picture headlines the article.)

Mark Knopfler’s concerts include Dire Straits songs but he has consistently ruled out a band reunion. Source: Supplied
A STRATOCASTER has been Mark Knopfler’s favoured guitar in a career spanning five decades. It brings that distinctive trademark tone to Dire Straits classics such as Sultans of Swing, So Far Away and Tunnel of Love, and to much of his solo and soundtrack recordings. He even has a Strat named after him. Yet there’s another instrument bearing the famous Fender logo that has a special place in the Englishman’s heart. It has pride of place in the west London studio where the 65-year-old muso spends a lot of his time. It’s a clock.

“It used to hang in a guitar shop in Newcastle,” says Knopfler, who moved to Tyneside from Glasgow when he was eight years old. As a teenager he spent many hours eyeing up the equipment in that shop, dreaming of one day putting it to good use. The clock, he explains, was “for the dealers. They used to get a clock. It was a blue and yellow diamond with the word Fender on it. I used to think it was the coolest thing. And I used to think there was no way you could ever own something like that because you have to own a guitar shop to get one.”

Well into his tenure as a gun guitarist and a rock star, Knopfler found one of the Fender timepieces. “To anyone else it’s just a daft old clock,” he says, “but for me it’s a connection and I still like to keep that stuff alive.”

There’s abundant evidence of that Knopfler nostalgic streak on his new solo album, Tracker, the eighth under his own name and one that was crafted from beginning to end within the walls of British Grove, the studio in Chiswick Knopfler built 10 years ago as “a monument to past and future technology”. Alongside his collection of vintage cars, which he drives and exhibits, his studio is his passion. “I’m only in here when I’ve got something to record,” he says, “but I wish I could be here more than I am.”

A journey through the 11 songs on Tracker encompasses pivotal points in Knopfler’s life, from the 15-year-old working as a copy boy on the Newcastle Evening Chronicle (Basil) to the revered veteran songwriter and musician touring across Europe four years ago with his friend Bob Dylan (Silver Eagle, Lights of Taormina). In between there are more observational and introspective pieces, such as Broken Bones, Long Cool Girl and Mighty Man. There’s also Beryl, a musing on English writer Beryl Bainbridge, foc­using on the fact she received acknowledgment from the Booker Prize committee only after her death in 2010.

All of the songs bear that recognisable, slightly gnarled Knopfler vocal, with music that has equally familiar strains of Celtic folk, country and rock ’n’ roll within it.

Basil is inspired by Basil Bunting, a crotchety subeditor on the Chronicle but also a respected poet. “When I was still at school I was playing folk music with a girl from the lower form,” Knopfler explains. “We were a folk duo. Her big brother was a reporter on the Evening Chronicle and I thought that was quite glamorous.”

Thus the young aspiring journo found himself working as a copy boy on Saturday afternoons, sending sports stories down the line to the printers and trying to avoid Bunting’s wrath:

He calls for a copy boy, grumpy as hell

Poets have to eat as well

What he wouldn’t give just to walk out today

To have time to think about time

And young love thrown away.

“He was very grumpy and he fascinated me,” Knopfler says. “I didn’t speak to him. He would have addressed me very gruffly as ‘boy’ and that would have been it. Somebody told me he was a poet. While I was there he had a poem, Briggflatts, published and that allowed him to leave the Chronicle and he went to America as an academic. He was writing about time and now I’m at an age where time is more important to me too.”

Knopfler credits some of his skills as a songwriter to his brief career before Dire Straits as a journalist in Leeds. He worked as a junior reporter on the Yorkshire Evening Post after studying journalism at Harlow College in Esspam.

“I was glad I did journalism because it ­teaches you the way of the world and it also taught me how to condense,” he says. “If you have a lot of bumf to read you can make sense of it pretty quickly. And songwriting is very much about that. You are cutting it down to the essentials. You’re not using that many words in a song, even if you’re dealing with a big subject, so I think that really helped me. I wouldn’t have called myself a journalist, though. I was a cub reporter. I thought it might be an exciting life.”

As it turned out, excitement lay elsewhere. After a move to London in 1973, Knopfler cut his teeth in a handful of bands before forming Dire Straits with his guitarist brother David, drummer Pick Withers and bassist John Illsley in 1977. Sultans of Swing announced them as a band somewhat adjacent to the punk frenzy that was engulfing London at the time. Across the next few years albums such as Communique and Love Over Gold took them to a mainstream, worldwide audience.

It’s close on 20 years since Knopfler drew a line under Dire Straits. The band’s fifth album, Brothers in Arms (1985), remains one of the highest selling records, with sales of more than 30 million. Although more recordings followed in that album’s wake, in 1996, after a world tour, Knopfler decided the band had run its course and it was time to focus on a solo career. He has no regrets about doing so and has always dismissed any notion of a Dire Straits reunion. He still plays Dire Straits material in his shows

“If we do something like Sultans of Swing I like to do it the way we did it originally, as a four-piece, really stripped down,” he says. “So I’ll do that. I like playing those songs still.

“If you play Brothers in Arms or whatever … those songs mean a lot to people. You have to play them well.”

However, at the peak of the band’s fame Knopfler says, the scale of it was overwhelming.

“It was too big to handle,” he says. “It was massive. We were actually touring at one point with three big stages, leapfrogging around. But also the songs were changing. The kind of songs I was writing were very varied and very different. We had pedal steel and saxophone and percussion. I’d expanded as much as I wanted — and then too much.” A few years before Brothers in Arms, Knopfler took his first tentative steps into the world of film composition and that debut, with the haunting Celtic soundtrack to Bill Forsyth’s Local Hero (1983), including the hit theme song, Going Home, established his composing credentials.

He followed that up quickly with Cal, Forsyth’s Comfort and Joy (both 1984) and The Princess Bride (1987).

Multi-instrumentalist Guy Fletcher has worked alongside Knopfler on a regular basis since joining Dire Straits in 1984. That was soon after Knopfler had asked him to work on Cal and just before Brothers in Arms.

It’s important, Knopfler says, to maintain some musical consistency, whether in style or in execution. That’s why Fletcher is also co-producer and musical foil on this latest album.

Knopfler’s production credits other than on his own records include Aztec Camera, Randy Newman and Bob Dylan, for whom he took the controls on the 1983 album Infidels. The two songwriters have maintained a friendship since then and toured together through Europe and the US in 2011. “We’ve put in quite a lot of miles together,” he says. “If you’ve done that it’s always there.”

Lights of Taormina, a reference to the Sicilian coastal town, has a direct connection to His Bobness. “I was on tour in Europe,” Knopfler says, “and Bob had been to Taormina just before we were there. I stayed in the same hotel room he had stayed in. It was right up next to the venue, an ancient amphitheatre. I stayed out on my balcony for a long time after we’d done the show and it made me think of a whole lot of things.

“Then next morning I read some material that said Bob had spent a long time out on the balcony as well. I just knew it was the same kind of experience. I don’t know that I could have written that song without that experience. “

Knopfler is taking this new album out on the road this year, although so far there are no plans to play in Australia. “I’d love to come, though,” he says. In the meantime, the clock is ticking. There are more songs to write, when the mood or inspiration strikes.

“The trouble of being a songwriter is that you are a victim of the songs that turn up,” he says. His one ambition is “to be able to get a result; to make a decent record. The studio is the theatre of humiliation. It’s not easy, but I love it. If I can just keep going with the cycle, I’ll be happy.”

Tracker is released on March 20 through Universal.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 11:41:27 PM by border_reiver »
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2015, 08:12:21 AM »
Love the clock tjing, thanks for posting.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

pete_w

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2015, 09:27:28 AM »
Maybe we should rename the forum to "Mark on time"?

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2015, 03:32:45 PM »
Any subscribers here for this one from The Sunday Times?

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/culture/music/article1526399.ece
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2015, 03:43:46 PM »
Any subscribers here for this one from The Sunday Times?

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/culture/music/article1526399.ece

It's described as "excellent", so here's hoping it has a 5 star rating!    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineMillionaire Blues

• Camerado
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2015, 04:28:43 PM »
When people contemplate Mark Knopfler’s past, they tend to think of rock music on a stadium scale in the mega-platinum pomp of Dire Straits. He, on the other hand, remembers an earlier truth, inhabited by dodgy digs and even dodgier gigs, built on spit and sawdust, and hopelessly badly paid. Never mind them getting money for nothing — those were the days of nothing for money.

The songwriter and guitarist is not often given to overt reminiscence, but he does cast a glance over his shoulder in the context of his excellent new solo album, Tracker. More prolific, at 65, than any of his contemporaries, he has released nine studio albums since the band he co-founded, and steered to worldwide sales of 120m records, went on permanent hold in the mid-1990s.

Tracker is another charming alloy of Knopfler’s folk influences, the latest manifestation of the often acoustic sound that has naturally succeeded his reluctant years as a rock god. Yet there’s a deliberate nod to the Dire Straits sound in its single, Beryl, and the album opens with Laughs and Jokes and Drinks and Smokes, in which he recalls the first days of pursuing his dreams in London.

“Laughs and jokes and drinks and smokes was what it was all about when you were young,” he says. “You’re so resilient, you don’t even think about the wear and tear at all. I certainly didn’t. When we were going at the beginning, there was a pub circuit, but usually all the money we got went on hiring the PA system. There was nothing really left at the end of those gigs.

“I remember we did four shows at the Marquee, on Wardour Street, and I think we got £120 for the gig. The PA cost £100, so there was a fiver left each, then we’d buy some beer, and that’d be it. You’re just going from gig to gig, hoping to keep it all together.”

Knopfler grants interviews sparingly, and on our first encounter, nearly 25 years ago, he was a rather gruff figurehead, clearly unable to find inspiration in mere celebrity. But repeated meetings have revealed a softer, self-effacing, relaxed family man who appreciates everything he has, would rather talk about guitars and football than promote himself, and cannot wait to write his next song.

That London milieu of the 1970s was reportedly enveloped by new wave, but it was also nurturing other talent held together with more than a safety pin. I saw Dire Straits at what may have been the 10th or so gig they ever did, in a Covent Garden basement called the Rock Garden. It’s more than a rose-tinted memory to say that one could tell these real-life sultans of swing were going places.

“I remember the Rock Garden really well,” Knopfler says. “That was another place where you had to load in all the gear, going up and down the stairs to the street. I used to sweat so much on stage in those days, it came off me in sheets. That’s how the headband started. I literally couldn’t see — the sweat would sting my eyes and I used not to be able to see my chords through my tears.”

He laughs as the memory becomes clear. “You would have to make your own way to the gig. I remember one night at the Marquee, there were sheets of sweat going out into the crowd, and this little fella stuck a note up, and I read it. It said, ‘More liquid gumption, please.’ As my manager likes to say, it’s character-building. You’ve got to want to be there.”

Decades after Brothers in Arms conquered the world and removed the financial imperative from Knopfler’s agenda, he still wants to be there. It’s proved again by an international tour behind Tracker that starts in May and lasts for most of the rest of the year.

Laughs and Jokes barrels along like a sea shanty, appropriately for an artist who often talks about his own cherished band setting sail on another adventure. “Tracker is, in many ways, keeping track of time. Also, you’re on the trail of an idea, of a song. Writing songs and travelling around the world and doing all this stuff is a funny way of tracking time.

“I mean, look at my band — heavens above. We spend an awful lot of the time laughing anyway, so that keeps the whole thing rolling on. I’m a lucky guy, there’s no two ways about it.”

Knopfler is naturally, but not studiously, private. He has redrawn his career while retaining his huge audience with a low-key dexterity. Fans still come to enjoy Sultans of Swing and Telegraph Road, but each new record is welcomed so warmly, most of them no longer bother to ask whether Dire Straits will re-form — a pointless question given how much fun he has now as a front man.

“People are great, all around the world, so I haven’t really had to suffer too much in terms of all that,” he says. “There are always going to be those who want to know exactly what instrument you played and how you got the sound. Half the time, I can’t remember. I just plugged it in and fiddled about. In fact, I was looking today at the instruments I used on Tracker, and I couldn’t remember exactly which they were. So, if it’s years ago, then good luck.”

With such a healthy disregard for the trappings of success, Knopfler’s only touring proviso is that the itinerary doesn’t encroach on the school holidays. For all his inexhaustible passion for his work, his family life — with his second wife, the actress and writer Kitty Aldridge, and their daughters, Isabella and Katya — remains non-negotiable.

I ask if the kids ever mind their dad being away for long spells. “They’re much better off without me hanging around the house,” he laughs. “They do come out for strategic gigs. That’s always great, too, when we’re camped in one town for a bit.”

That is about as personal as Knopfler will be on the record with the fourth estate, even if he used to be a member of it. He depicts his days as a 15-year-old copy boy on the Newcastle Evening Chronicle in a new song, Basil, about the poet Basil Bunting, a reluctant staffer on the newspaper. It’s another vivid snapshot, juxtaposing the world-weary protagonist and the songwriter’s eager young self.

“It was clear that he’d rather be writing poetry than copy for the Evening Chronicle,” he remembers, “and he didn’t really fit. So it was the contrast between us — because, at that age, I had the whole world in front of me. I had a different way of looking at the world entirely. You’re thinking it’s all rosy promise.”

Knopfler has made that rosy promise into something of lasting substance, and anyone who thinks only of that MTV icon in a headband should know the toil that went before. “I remember once hitchhiking from a gig in Penzance on Christmas Day, trying to get back up to Newcastle from the southern tip of Cornwall,” he says, returning to those formative years. “I used to hitchhike then, climbing up into lorry cabs with bags and guitars. There was snow everywhere, and I got put off in the middle of the country somewhere — in the Midlands, I think — on a slip road off the motorway. I’m standing up there, and there’s nobody. I can see 360 degrees for miles all around, and there’s nothing moving, just the sun shining down on all this snow. And I remember getting a very clear idea of what I’d decided I was going to do with my life.”

Tracker is released by Virgin/EMI on March 16. Mark Knopfler and his band start a tour of the UK and Ireland on May 15

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2015, 04:34:42 PM »
Thank yooooouuu!  :clap  :wave

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2015, 04:36:10 PM »

The songwriter and guitarist is not often given to overt reminiscence, but he does cast a glance over his shoulder in the context of his excellent new solo album, Tracker. More prolific, at 65, than any of his contemporaries, he has released nine studio albums since the band he co-founded, and steered to worldwide sales of 120m records, went on permanent hold in the mid-1990s.

Ah, why bother changing a winning number?  ;D

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2015, 05:00:06 PM »
I kinda like these new interviews. MK seem to be very open and talking about other memories than the regular smell of Fender catalogues, uncle Kingsley and his boogie woogie, the Hofner (priced 15-50 quid), blowing up the family radio and falling asleep playing.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 40 queries.