Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: AMIT reviews of Tracker  (Read 72221 times)

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
AMIT reviews of Tracker
« on: March 10, 2015, 08:34:42 PM »
I got the idea of opening a topic for AMIT reviews only!

So, IF you have listened to the album.... Post your opinions and album reviews here!  :clap (instead of getting lost in the large Tracker topic  :lol)

Rollllll on Friday (or maybe Thursday)!  :D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:49:38 PM by Dutchessy »
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
Re: AMIT reviews of Tracker
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 12:03:30 AM »
Ups, I have posted elsewhere, so here it goes my thoughts about the album.

- Skydiver (so Beatlenesque, but I think some italian pals will see some reminescences of Cesare Cremonini, non è vero?)
- Broken bones (though I sense that is a rework of Early bird)
- Long cool girl
- Lights of Taormina
- Silver eagle
- Wherever I go

But no one stands out for me.

Dislikes:
- Beryl ("lemme get the SoS solo and make a simpler song")
- Mighty man (may work with the Chieftains...)
- Basil (almost fited KTGC, almost fited GL. Ended up here)

I enjoyed a lot of songs, but I think no track from Tracker would be in a solo career personal greatest hits...
Despite this, there's more guitar licks than I expected. On the other way, too much saxophone in the first half of the record.
His voice improved, imho.
Love over gold, mind over matter

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 09:56:03 AM »
I liked everything except:

- Mighty Man: MK already released this song, but with another lyrics, "The Fish and the Bird"
- Broken Bones: Too repetitive to me
- Long Cool Girl: I suppose this one has to grown on me, but it didn't says much for me

I think that from track 1 to 4 they are great, Skydiver is very funny to me!

Taormina and Silver Eagle are lovely.

About Silver Eagle, it sounds like the last song of the record, I guess that´s why MK put "Beryl" just next, because the record needed something to put the level high again, for the other song to end the record... Wherever I go.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinerosco

• Camerado
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 10:42:53 AM »
I've missed all this  :smack. Is there a link where you can still hear it?

Offlinebinone

• Lady writer
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 10:52:46 AM »
As Julio said, Terminal Tribute To is a "Zasentoalaboca" to the straits thing. INMHO

OfflineForgotMyHat

• Guitar George
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 11:02:03 AM »
The album is a pretty weak effort, can't believe I'm saying that. He REALLY needs a producer/editor too many songs wander and meander for far too long and there's a definite lack of focus here.
 He seems to have lost his sense of melody. Hopefully it grows on me but I'm doubting it.
4/10.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 11:31:11 AM »
As Julio said, Terminal Tribute To is a "Zasentoalaboca" to the straits thing. INMHO

"Zasentoalaboca" in English would be something like "Slap on your face"
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

LoveExpresso

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 11:34:48 AM »
Following Mark's logic, it then should sound VERY Straits alike...  ;D (not that I would care about)

LE

LoveExpresso

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 11:59:01 AM »
Some clear favourites by now, not so many as  one would think:

River Towns
Broken Bones
Long Cool Girl
Silver Eagle

I can understand that the monotony of some of these tracks might be a problem for some people but it is a concept that has some validity, again JJ Cale and Bob Dylan used that a lot, I like it more than the too well known song structures from recent solo albums.

Lyrics are partially great and need more comprehension from my side. Many words, vocabulary and references that I still don't understand, especially on Basil. Looking forward to that work!

Laughs & Smokes And Drinks & Jokes is overall done nicely but sounds to much like Shot Of Glory. Might grow on me.
Basil does not exactly sound like I expected it or better like I wished it to sound, seems I have to get used to it.
Skydiver is absolutely not my cup of tea and is a skipper for me. Annoying start, annoying drums, annoying song.
Mighty Man and  The Lights Of Taormina have potential to grow on me.

I agree that this album misses some kind of climax, let's say it sounds like STP without Speedway At Nazareth. But sounds, drums, rhythms and vocals are all great done and sound fresh and sometimes new. I hope for the bonus songs to make it a more complete album feel. I couldn't imagine to listen to Privateering without Occupation Blues and Follow The Ribbon for example. So lots of other new stuff to come up.

The idea of thinking of friends and people around where you want to run to with a new album and play them the new songs  - maybe you know it? This time, my feeling is more like I love it, but I know this person will not like that and that person will not like this because of etc . etc..

And not too much live potential I am afraid to say. He played TLWNF and Fish and The Bird in 2008 so it seems he has other categories, but I have no song on Tracker where i think, wow, this one will be great live. Maybe that will change.

LE

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 12:20:04 PM »
My thoughts:
As i pointed out before i'm totally in love with this album. (I was also a fan of Get Lucky / and i love the RPD Album)
I understand those of you who are missing speed and long guitar soloing, because they won't find these elements in there.

But i definitely love the harmonies and the moods that are delivered. Its like drifting in time and in space. The concentration on scenerys of his life, the drifting back in time is something that is very valueable and is a deep approach to his personality. It's the most honest innerview in his soul and his thoughts and therefore alone this album has a special place for me.
But i like it also guitarwise. Instead of long soloing, there are many good and sensitive guitar lick, many on them on the slide guitar. The guitar tones are clear like crystal. The fiddles and flutes are reduced, but when they play a part they begin to shine. The Mix of the album is superb. It's the perfect album for dreamining, it's a very good album to sing along with.

Songs:
1.) Laughs ans Jokes and Drinks and Smokes: The perfect album start: The moment of the beginning of his artistry is described. His start in London aligned with some girls and love stories. And of course the decisive moment why we can talk about this album (devotion and complaints) I love the Brubeck allusion.
2.) Basil: The meeting of the young and the old. The mirror in his youth to see where he ist now, but of course the youth can't see everything. My favourite line: What he wouldn’t give just to walk out today / To have time to think about time/ And young love thrown away. And how beautiful is this song musical wise. Very good harmonies. So touching. It's like a movie with all the little musical effects that atart rolling in (Guitars and keyboards). Marks singing is superb. And the Gibson! I like also the backgroundsinging. Moody at the right place, when he is singing about kissing girls. Man, what can i say! It's evolving like a real masterpiece. Oh! And the last guitar solo, please. This sound is superb!
3.) River Towns: At first listening not very impressed (because Basil was that good) but it was a grower and now i like it very much. Nigel Hitchcock at his best. Such a beautiful sound. About the lyrics i've to think about. Striked by this lines: So I get the bottle open / But something’s hit a nerve  /And I’m looking in the mirror / At the face that I deserve. Very touched by the mood of the refrain. Small fill ins with the Fender (?). Dreaming... It's so pure!
4.) Skydiver: One of my favourites, although i don't like the change from the intro into the song. I liked the slide guitar so much in the intro! It's missing in the verses. But i like the Beatles allusion, rhythm and harmony wise. Makes sense with the Beatles-Equipement in his studio! Love the very long Skyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyydiver in the refrain! Love the contrast of a happy feeling song with a rather tragical lyric.
Favourite Line: And when it’s gone, all gone / I’ll stand on a hilltop and sing / I go where I want, I do what I want /And I don’t give a damn about a thing
5.) Mighty Man: was for me the weakest song, BUT with a killer intro. I Think it's a grower! Love the voice and the echo-effects! Love how he sings: It’s a lifetime of digging trenches. Have to think about it!
6.) Broken Bones: I see us clapping at the life concert, fellows!!!! Could be fun, if we have enough power. It's for me the perfect JJ Cale sound. Would be nice on the EC-Tribute Album, if it had been a Cale song. But it's Mark style. So we have a tribute to Brubeck, the BEatles, to JJ Cale and i like it also that he links the styles of his influences together with his journey in the past. I like the Wah Wah (reminds me on EC) and the rhythm guitar!
7.) Long, cool girl: A good love song! Like the drifting mood and rhythm. the pronouncation of "Me and you we’re 3 and 2 / Something’s gonna happen now, it has to / Me and you we’re 3 and 2 / Something’s gonna happen now, it has to reminds me on DS time (a bit slower, must smile). Like the slide guitar licks (specially at the outro! and the Mhm! Mhm part. Live this could be really interesting!)
8.) Lights of Taormina: i'm an Italy fan, so i have to love it! It captures the mood when you are in Italy, when you have time and you start think about your life. I'm immediately into this mood. Love the melting of "He came, he saw, he conquered /Ten thousand voices roared in the arena". The Ancient Times with modern concert scenarios (is it Bob Dylan? Is it Mk?) LOve that thought!
9.) Silver Eagle: Knowing that it is Bob Dylans bus gives the song just another dimension. But i love the thought of restless touring, thinking of the loves of the past, being in their hometown and they don't even know it. It's so sad! Missed opportunities! Everyone of us has these eyperiences, i suppose. Love the harmonies. Goosebumps - although there is nothing! No solo, no anything. It's a mistery to me!
10.) Beryl: A very good song. UPbeat, Yeah! The lyrics are a bit poor. The sound is awesome! DS tribute (But Sultans?- No, that is another dimension!) Like the pointing on female disadvantages in our society!
11.) Wherever i go: The perfect closer for this album: I love the musical building up of this song. The surrection of the universe, the quiet short drum parts under the keyboard layer. One topic of the album is certainly love...

It's a quiet album in a loud time full of dangers. It concentrates on love and experience of a lifetime, and is therefore also spiritual without any religious links. It's a necessary album in a world that spins way too fast. It's honest, it's pure, it touches me. It is important!

« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 12:25:07 PM by yontwocrows »

LoveExpresso

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 12:24:35 PM »
Thanks a lot, great review, worth reading more than one time.  :thumbsup

The Sax on River Towns seems to imitate horns, that's what so great about it. Sounds original, fresh, new, not the 80's touch I feared. A MK solo directly after that would really been great, I am not moaning for solos normally, but there I miss it.

You quoted exactly the same lyric lines that struck me, too!

LE

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 12:36:08 PM »
I like your review also very much! It's an interesting read! Have to understand the lyrics also better. Looking forward to this process as well. Looking forward to what will happen live and to the bonus tracks.

Offlinerichardmu

• Local Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 12:36:23 PM »
My review is harsh I guess. The album is generally rubbish for me, inline with KTTG. I plan on only keeping a few tracks on the iPod, others will be deleted as never need to hear them again. Hopefully one or two of the additional tracks will be gems.

Laughs and Drinks and Smokes Outro is too long for me, with not much happening in it. 6/10

Basil This is a real song unlike many on this cd. However for the general public I don't think they would like it. 7/10

Rivertowns  The saxophone sounds out of place for me and annoying though. The ending goes on for about 2 minutes too long with not much happening at all, seemed a bit of a pointless outro. Will keep this for some further listening to see if I like it or not - can't make up my mind. 5/10

Skydiver Will delete from the ipod this one. The track has nothing, kinda annoying melody. 2/10. Will delete from ipod.

Mighty Man Intro - got goosebumps. The only thing I listened this song 5 times and don't remember any of the melody as there seems to be none. 5/10. Will keep for the moment.

Broken Bones Jeez, terrible song and annoying rhythm guitar . 1/10 Will delete.

Long Cool Girl Terrible song, will delete. 2/10

Lights of Taormina Good song. Shines on the album because the rest of the tracks are very poor. It's a good song, not a great one. 7/10

Silver Eagle No melody really in the song. 4/10

Beryl Love it 8/10

Wherever I go I hated this song previously, it has grown on me somewhat. 6/10.

LoveExpresso

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 12:51:48 PM »
Yes pretty harsh but why not. I can't help and no offence meant but it seems iPod is the keyword here. This album needs some time sure enough.

LE

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 12:55:09 PM »
Yes pretty harsh but why not. I can't help and no offence meant but it seems iPod is the keyword here. This album needs some time sure enough.

LE

:lol
Proud member of the AMIT crew

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 46 queries.