Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Vince Gill with Dire Straits  (Read 8888 times)

OfflineTobben

• Camerado
Vince Gill with Dire Straits
« on: May 13, 2015, 04:52:12 PM »
He is one of my favorite artists. When I heard that MK asked him to join DS for the OES tour, I was pretty sad knowing he turned it down. What a great guitar player and what a fine job he would have done playing second guitar for DS! Specially during the OES tour!

Anyone knows if they ever did play together at all?

Tobben

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
Re: Vince Gill with Dire Straits
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 06:06:10 PM »
Does this count?

"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 12:09:42 AM »
What a great guitar player and what a fine job he would have done playing second guitar for DS! Specially during the OES tour!

No I think it would have been a "problem" to have 2 great and style-close guitarists in the same band imho

Vince Gill would have been a too much good challenger for Mark in songs like setting me up for example, and i think that Mark doesn't like that a band member "steals" the stage light, mainly during the OES era

in recent tours, he gaves opportunity to John and Glenn to be the "stars" during Marbletown but that's a different thing, ther are not  guitarists
in all tours including DS and solo career, the 2nd guitarist never had the chance to really exprime him self, except very few occasion (Jack in WWE, TYL,EL, PI, Hal in TYL, PI, lick in Sultans, RB on steel or Romeo in Boothbay, and few other examples..) so maybe Vince Gill knew that he would have been frustrated to be the "second" guitarist ?.... and that's why he declined:think

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 12:29:08 AM »
What a great guitar player and what a fine job he would have done playing second guitar for DS! Specially during the OES tour!

No I think it would have been a "problem" to have 2 great and style-close guitarists in the same band imho

Vince Gill would have been a too much good challenger for Mark in songs like setting me up for example, and i think that Mark doesn't like that a band member "steals" the stage light, mainly during the OES era

in recent tours, he gaves opportunity to John and Glenn to be the "stars" during Marbletown but that's a different thing, ther are not  guitarists
in all tours including DS and solo career, the 2nd guitarist never had the chance to really exprime him self, except very few occasion (Jack in WWE, TYL,EL, PI, Hal in TYL, PI, lick in Sultans, RB on steel or Romeo in Boothbay, and few other examples..) so maybe Vince Gill knew that he would have been frustrated to be the "second" guitarist ?.... and that's why he declined:think

How on earth did he cope with Clapton during Mandela then?  ;D
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 04:04:18 PM »

I'm thinking about MIke Henderson back in 2001. He had a very proeminent role all through the shows, didn't he?
Love over gold, mind over matter

OfflineAr (aka Enlight)

• Lady writer
  • WHAT IT IS.........
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 02:45:32 AM »
Here Vince Gill explains why he did not joined DS during the OES tour:

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 07:25:50 PM by enlight »
Leaving nothing to interfere,
With the crazy balance of your mind.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 05:30:37 PM »

1) Mandela was a particular gig, not a complete tour
2) EC's style is not as close to Mark as Vince Gill is, and their two styles are more "complementary" while Gill and Mark would have been too much close imho

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 05:34:48 PM »
I'm thinking about MIke Henderson back in 2001. He had a very proeminent role all through the shows, didn't he?

same as above. Mike Henderson doesn't play in the same register as Mark, so it worked

But Vince Gill plays a lot in finger-chicken-picking style.

it's like if Gill and Albert lee would have play together, I would find it a litlle bit redundant, while Albert Lee + EC is a good combination.

Eddie King from Lynyrd Skynyrd explianed this very well on his forum : if you want a "guitar army" in a band, you have to mix svereal tones, several styles
if all guitarists are playing in the same range, it doesn't work

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 01:49:42 AM »
Mike took the limelight in 2001 IMO.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 11:04:35 PM »
Mike took the limelight in 2001 IMO.

Thing about Mike is that he's both a great guitar player and a goofball. It's hard not to notice such a guy.  :)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 11:11:12 PM »
Was at the Albert Hall and right feom Calling Elvis I thought there was a good chance of MK getting shown up, not something I was used to.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 08:13:05 AM »
Mike Henderson was far too loud and brash for my taste and almost obliterated MK.   He ruined the show at the RAH for me!   Sorry, I didn't like his playing at all!   :(
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 11:09:03 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineTobben

• Camerado
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 02:41:56 PM »
I still thinks Vince Gill would have done a great job for DS. Yes, he is a very VERY good guitar player, but he plays from his heart, and he also knows when not to play :)  I think that's the reason why Mark asked him in the first place. Knowing when not to play is one of the most important things to know when you play in a band. Leave room for space. I agree with a lot of you that Mike Handerson was to loud and brash for MKs style. Music is not a competition :)

OfflineTobben

• Camerado
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 02:43:44 PM »

Btw did you guys know that Vince Gill played Setting Me Up during the 2013 Crossroads festival together with Albert Lee and Keith Urban? :)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 10:07:48 PM »
loved Mike Henderson.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 36 queries.