Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Newcastle Places of Interest  (Read 3880 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Newcastle Places of Interest
« on: June 04, 2015, 10:30:56 PM »
On my trip to see our man in Newcastle I stayed for a further couple of days and took some photos (and had lunch in Mark Toney's)!  Of course, I had to take some of the locations mentioned in his lyrics so I thought you may be interested to see some of them in reality rather than in words.

Dog Leap Stairs:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/davids_leicas/18047742226/in/dateposted-public/

Castle Keep:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/davids_leicas/17391926153/in/dateposted-public/

Black Gate:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/davids_leicas/17389737594/in/dateposted-public/

Grainger Street:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/davids_leicas/18047653376/in/dateposted-public/

Metro Radio Arena (not in lyrics!):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/davids_leicas/17470746544/in/dateposted-public/
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
Re: Newcastle Places of Interest
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 10:54:25 PM »
Thanks for taking these pics! By the way, I have been to Newcastle on the last tour and got the feeling that the Metro Radio Arena works better as a sports arena. Perhaps he should choose another venue.

Anyway, those Northeners are lovely people, just as nice as the Scots!  ;)

And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 11:15:43 PM »
Thanks for taking these pics! By the way, I have been to Newcastle on the last tour and got the feeling that the Metro Radio Arena works better as a sports arena. Perhaps he should choose another venue.

I must admit that I didn't like the MRA at all.  Not comfortable and just a very plain hangar style arena.  Used to be home of the Newcastle Vipers ice hockey team but they moved to Whitley Bay Ice Rink I believe.

Ha, the Geordies are wonderful people.

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
  • 3 Strats . . and a number of others
    • dtvaviation images.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 05:43:38 AM »
Guy has said in the past that they prefer Newcastle City Hall, but a): it's not big enough nowadays b): The stage is quite small by modern standards and c): the load in- load out is difficult.  Last time they were there they couldn't set up the "National" circular lighting rig.
When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.
MK tour photos & my music page can be found at: http://dtvaviationimages.co.uk

DTRW Tour: Newcastle.  Block A, Row E,
seats 21 & 22

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 09:15:49 AM »
Guy has said in the past that they prefer Newcastle City Hall, but a): it's not big enough nowadays b): The stage is quite small by modern standards and c): the load in- load out is difficult.  Last time they were there they couldn't set up the "National" circular lighting rig.

Ah thanks for the information, a night in summer long ago I read that, too.
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 11:00:32 AM »

The aforementioned reasons were exactly the same as to why they didn't use the Edinburgh Playhouse.  Too bad the audience miss out on the better venues to make it more convenient for the crew.

Some artists, including Sting I think, played The Sage Gateshead.  Looks a lovely modern venue by Britain's foremost architect.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 09:44:03 PM »
Great photo's as usual dmg! :clap :wave
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 09:45:20 PM »
Great photo's as usual dmg! :clap :wave

Thanks very much!

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 07:48:21 PM »

I understand that the reason he stopped playing the Newcastle City Hall was due to the size of the band he has assembled. However am wondering if it was purely a financial reason. It is true that there are too many of them to fit on a small stage. Which is a shame becasue the Arena is basically a cattle shed with no proper acoustics or atmosphere. It has alsmost made the City Hall redundant and that hurts becasue it is a beautiful intimate venue holding 2,000 people only.

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 07:01:42 AM »
Thanks for the wonderful photos, dmg -- I am just getting around to them now!! 

I really loved my visit to Newcastle last May.  It is such a beautiful city with a great vibe and absolutely lovely people!  I hope to go back for a longer visit sometime. 
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 01:02:29 PM »

I really loved my visit to Newcastle last May.  It is such a beautiful city with a great vibe and absolutely lovely people!  I hope to go back for a longer visit sometime.

Absolutely.  It's one of those cities, isn't it.

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 06:26:36 PM »

Absolutely.  It's one of those cities, isn't it.
Nicely put, dmg!  :D
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 01:30:48 PM »
For a quarter of a century, Newcastle was my nearest, if quite distant, "big" city and I have visited it many, many times, both for day trips and overnight stays - concerts, cinema, theatre, shopping, using the airport, meeting record dealers, just plain touristy things, even a record launch once. There was a regular "Mr Bob" group that met monthly and probably still does and, though I attended infrequently, that alone commends to someone like me.  It is a terrific place and the people, as someone said, are great.

That said, Newcastle City Hall, for all its intimacy and for all its good memories (the Swan Hunter concert and Blondie in concert come immediately to mind), has its limitations. It is a long, narrow hall; the view from the back of the stalls is not great.  The balconies along the side do not offer the best of views, either. Because of these limitations, the stage is set quite high, so that the view from the front row of the stalls is also uncomfortable because, close as you might be, you have to look up at a sharp angle, seeing only the top half of the principal performer and even less of the band members. The view from the rear of the balcony is better but, of course, a bit distant. The stage is narrow, which must have its limitations, and I believe the load-in/load-out space is quite restrictive, too. Much as I like the venue, it is far from ideal ideal.  The Metro Radio Arena, to which I've only gone once, is also far from ideal.  I have never attended anything at The Sage, just across the River Tyne in Gateshead, but friends in the area have said its a great venue but its capacity is only around 1600, even less than Newcastle City Hall.

I know that most of the older venues have limitations of one kind or another. I really like the Royal Albert Hall, which also holds some great memories (one or two awful ones, too - such as Ornette Coleman with Yoko Ono, which was a dreadful experience), but the view from the stalls, once you get into rows in double figures, is poor. Mostly, though, it has good sightlines and, now they've largely sorted out the acoustics, a pretty good sound, especially for such an old building. Also, for a building with a fairly large capacity (around 5000), it has a good atmosphere, too. A visiting New Yorker I met at a concert there last year, his first time in the venue, told me it must be the greatest venue he had experienced.

All of the above is a long way of saying that Newcastle should get itself a modern, mid-size concert hall, a place it can feel proud of, and that, as MK gets older and comes to think about what he should do with his wealth and his fame, he could do worse than start an endowment for such a venue in his "home" city.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 02:27:02 PM »
I have recently returned from Newcastle, after attending Transatlantic Sessions at The Sage, Gateshead and having been four times to this venue I can confirm that, although too small for a concert for someone like MK, it is perfect for TS, holding 1,700 people.   The acoustics are perfect, which cannot be said for The Metro Arena, Newcastle.   There are three auditoriums under one roof, but entirely separate from each other, so are soundproof and vibrationproof.    The medium auditorium holds 450 and the smallest is used mainly for rehearsals, etc.   It also has a beautiful foyer with restaurants.

I love visiting Newcastle, because the buildings are so beautiful and the people are so friendly.    The River Tyne at night is spectacular with the bridges and The Sage illuminated.  In fact, Newcastle is one of my favourite cities.    On Thursday, as it was sunny and not windy, for a change, we walked around the places mentioned in some of MK's songs - Grainger Street, Mark Toney's, The Black Gate and the Keep, also the Dog Leap Stairway.

Regarding Newcastle City Hall, I agree being on the front row is not good.   The seats are far too close to the stage, which is also too high.  We were on the front row for one of MK's concerts and could only see the heads of the band and both of us came out with a stiff neck!

BTW twm  I like your idea of a venue in Newcastle to hold 8,000 or so - The Mark Knopfler Auditorium perhaps! :)   

« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 03:04:48 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 38 queries.