Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: A great TELEGRAPH ROAD  (Read 8302 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
A great TELEGRAPH ROAD
« on: July 03, 2015, 08:48:05 PM »
You are not going to hear a better Telegraph, unless you are listening to the own MK...

It is really fantastic, really.

They are Brothers in Band, that Spanish cover band that Guy, MK and everybody else heard rehearsing outside the venue in Atarfe 2008 and they thought it was a recording of Mk. Yes, they are that good.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: A great TELEGRAPH ROAD
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 09:23:24 PM »
Nice idea to have the sax make an appearance where the karaoke mode would normally be.  This should be introduced into MK shows with Nigel just like Chris used to play his solo on the OES tour.  It's second to Mark actually joining in and means the song has some cohesion. 

This sounds great BTW. 
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 10:24:33 AM »
I saw Brothers In Band three times and in some of the songs they sound even more Knopfleresque than MK himself, specially in some DS songs, as they keep the DS spirit alive and strong, while MK insists in add citterns, whistles, pipes and karaoke gaps everywhere, killing the real spirit of the songs...

For me, this TR is almost better than the one that MK plays nowadays, taking into account that this is a tribute band, and The Dullards are proffesional session musicians with MK  ;D

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 10:42:57 AM »
If I'm not mistaken this version tries to replicate the OES tour version (with the intro added), so it does not only add sax but pedal steel as well. Talking about "useless" instruments, this one sounds as useless to me as a cittern on TR !
Also the end solo is nice for amateurs but is a far cry from MK'solos IMHO, even today's - let alone the out-of-this-world one from the OES tour !

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 10:47:08 AM »
Sorry, I find this just about the dullest version of TR that I have heard!   The sax, soprano I believe, which was played after "like a rolling river" was very weak and sounded out of tune at times!    The singer's voice was also very  weak and it was very hard to hear any of the words.    The guitar outro was OK, but I have heard better versions than this one!   If I had to choose, I wouldn't listen to it as an alternative to any of the MK/DS versions. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 12:07:53 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 10:30:44 PM »
Wonderful indeed!!! Thanks for sharing!!! A great Band!!!
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 10:38:59 PM »
Sorry, I find this just about the dullest version of TR that I have heard!   The sax, soprano I believe, which was played after "like a rolling river" was very weak and sounded out of tune at times!    The singer's voice was also very  weak and it was very hard to hear any of the words.    The guitar outro was OK, but I have heard better versions than this one!   If I had to choose, I wouldn't listen to it as an alternative to any of the MK/DS versions.

Can you make out what Mark is saying when he sings, em "speaks" TR these days?  ;)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 10:44:28 PM »

Can you make out what Mark is saying when he sings, em "speaks" TR these days?  ;)
Dmg, I thought you were not a fan of OES tour TR arrangements ? This one is taking the worst of OES (sax and pedal steel) without the best (jar-dropping end solo), just adding the intro as a good point... How can you possibly like this ? :/ I agree with Val actually.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 11:25:28 PM »

Dmg, I thought you were not a fan of OES tour TR arrangements ? This one is taking the worst of OES (sax and pedal steel) without the best (jar-dropping end solo), just adding the intro as a good point... How can you possibly like this ? :/ I agree with Val actually.

There are elements of it I like (for a tribute band).  I also think that if Mark wants to persist with the karaoke mode now, then I would rather reintroduce the sax break at that point then we'd at least have something.  I find it interesting that a tribute band has noticed this "empty space" yet Mark hasn't.

BTW you're correct in that I don't like the OES versions. 

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 11:29:08 PM »

There are elements of it I like (for a tribute band).  I also think that if Mark wants to persist with the karaoke mode now, then I would rather reintroduce the sax break at that point then we'd at least have something.  I find it interesting that a tribute band has noticed this "empty space" yet Mark hasn't.

Still you prefer the Pensa sound over the strat one right ? I like the Pensa sound but I also think that the strong strat one is great on Alchemy. But for TOL it is the opposite, I think you like the strat better than the Pensa ? :)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 11:35:36 PM »

Still you prefer the Pensa sound over the strat one right ? I like the Pensa sound but I also think that the strong strat one is great on Alchemy. But for TOL it is the opposite, I think you like the strat better than the Pensa ? :)

I prefer the Pensa sound on TR from '96 onwards.  Strat sound on Alchemy was good but that was THE Schecter sunburst guitar, wasn't it.  Fender Strat sounder poor in 2005 IMHO.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 11:44:06 PM »

I prefer the Pensa sound on TR from '96 onwards.  Strat sound on Alchemy was good but that was THE Schecter sunburst guitar, wasn't it.  Fender Strat sounder poor in 2005 IMHO.
I see what you mean

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 03:42:42 PM »
Brothers in band guitarist and singer wants to thank you by your critics, it helps him to improve.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2015, 03:48:47 PM »
Brothers in band guitarist and singer wants to thank you by your critics, it helps him to improve.
The critics would probably have been much softer, had this version presented for what it is - a version that is truly nice for a tribute band - rather than what it is not -
("Better than MK"), which is a strong statement than can only trigger strong reactions...
This being said, congrats for the effort, truly, I know it is very hard to try to replicate such a mighty song, and the result is respectable !

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2015, 03:52:19 PM »
Any musician who wants to improve would show him playing the most challenging songs, the easy ones have very little to improve... That's why many of us dislike MK choice of songs  :lol

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 36 queries.