Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: A great TELEGRAPH ROAD  (Read 8303 times)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Re: A great TELEGRAPH ROAD
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 10:09:20 AM »
I prefer the Pensa sound on TR from '96 onwards.  Strat sound on Alchemy was good but that was THE Schecter sunburst guitar, wasn't it.  Fender Strat sounder poor in 2005 IMHO.

technically, the pensa sound  si closer to the strat one, because in both case it has got single coils PU in middle and neck position (Mark play TR with the middle+neck postion since 92) while the schecter has got Tapped PU (more info here : http://www.mk-guitar.com/2011/01/10/inside-the-schecter-f500t-pick-up-what-is-a-tapped-pick-up/)
it means that the shecter has a fater, thicker sound, while the strat and the pensa have more a thinner sound more "hollow" so to say.
Of course his overall tone depends on many others parameters, mainly the amp (mesa boogie in 82-83, soldano in 96 and 01, Reinhard/Komet since 2005) or eventually effects

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 11:37:29 AM »
I prefer the Pensa sound on TR from '96 onwards.  Strat sound on Alchemy was good but that was THE Schecter sunburst guitar, wasn't it.  Fender Strat sounder poor in 2005 IMHO.

technically, the pensa sound  si closer to the strat one, because in both case it has got single coils PU in middle and neck position (Mark play TR with the middle+neck postion since 92) while the schecter has got Tapped PU (more info here : http://www.mk-guitar.com/2011/01/10/inside-the-schecter-f500t-pick-up-what-is-a-tapped-pick-up/)
it means that the shecter has a fater, thicker sound, while the strat and the pensa have more a thinner sound more "hollow" so to say.
Of course his overall tone depends on many others parameters, mainly the amp (mesa boogie in 82-83, soldano in 96 and 01, Reinhard/Komet since 2005) or eventually effects
Interesting JF ! and which sound do you prefer ? :)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 11:47:17 AM »
Very interesting indeed.  I would say the thickest sound is from the 2005 Strat and that's one of the reasons I'm not fond of it (the other being the overall tone).  As you say though, probably the Komet amp at play here.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 12:09:29 PM »
I don´t mind about the guitar used, I mind about the attitude.

I don´t like the OES versions because of the prominence of pedal steel and sax, but compared with the boring citterns and karaoke piano nowadays, that was heaven!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2015, 01:49:19 PM »

usually I am more into Fender tones, but in this case I prefer the Alchemy one.
Although I like very much 96 versions, Alchemy  and studio versions will stand as my favorites, because of playing and singing
I like very much the studio version because it has this atmosphere at the beginning, almost kind of orchestra with strings whcih seems to "envelop" all the sound spectrum, and you can never achieve this live.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2015, 04:29:17 PM »
Very interesting indeed.  I would say the thickest sound is from the 2005 Strat and that's one of the reasons I'm not fond of it (the other being the overall tone).  As you say though, probably the Komet amp at play here.

I was in Lyon 2005. He played TR on the sig strat
I am not sure if he used middle+neck or middle+bridge. too difficult to see on the video, but soundwsie it seems neck+middle

But indeed, the thicker sound came from the komet amp

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2015, 04:30:43 PM »

usually I am more into Fender tones, but in this case I prefer the Alchemy one.
Although I like very much 96 versions, Alchemy  and studio versions will stand as my favorites, because of playing and singing
I like very much the studio version because it has this atmosphere at the beginning, almost kind of orchestra with strings whcih seems to "envelop" all the sound spectrum, and you can never achieve this live.

oh and I forgot that I like very much 81 versions : neck PU on the schecter black Tele, and with a little more delay tha usual

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2015, 07:50:34 PM »
For a tribute band, and not the "real thing", they are trully awesome.
After checking their rendition of TR,I went to listen to Single Handed Sailor and, as jbaent said, they seem to search for the "spirit" of DS music while trying to emulate the sing itself.
Love over gold, mind over matter

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.031 seconds with 36 queries.