Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Chad Cromwell  (Read 17968 times)

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
Re: Chad Cromwell
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2015, 11:31:23 AM »
Don't worry about Danny, he is doing ok, he has been recording with David Gilmour, and is on David's new album.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Onlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2015, 12:00:27 PM »
Don't worry about Danny, he is doing ok, he has been recording with David Gilmour, and is on David's new album.
Wow thanks for the info I did not know that !
Good for Danny ! Going from Mark to David may not be an upgrade, but it is certainly not a downgrade ! :)
Although it seems that he is back to percussions, as in the OES tour, whereas he always wanted to play drums, if I believe Mark's introductions when Danny was on board...

I fear a bit for this new solo Album, I love David (I am paying a bomb to see him in Orange next month) but I don't think that highly of his songwriting skills as a solo artist, I was not so impressed with On an Island and the endless river despite the always wonderful guitar, and I am quite pissed of that he found it suitable to use this stupid French SNCF jingle to make a song of it ! We'll see ...

Exceptions to what I just said, On the turning away, Marooned and High hopes (which can be considered as David solo) are beautiful... I just hate this 80s pop-like AMLOR (but so is Radio KEOS). If only Dave and Roger had worked together to merge TDB and ATD, this would have been THE killer PF album...

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2015, 12:47:12 PM »

I don´t worry about Danny in proffesional terms, he was and still is one of the most demanded percussionist in the world, his name is in many many many of the cd´s I have, including Spanish bands, he is a regular with people like George Michael. I´m very happy to know he's in new Gilmour cd!

My concern, if you can call it concern (which is more curiosity than concern) is about how it affected or was affected related to his friendship with MK. Danny is not only a top musician but also a top person, very kind, humble, and I´d love to think he and MK are ok, or/and him leaving the band didn´t affected him personally.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Onlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2015, 12:50:32 PM »

I don´t worry about Danny in proffesional terms, he was and still is one of the most demanded percussionist in the world, his name is in many many many of the cd´s I have, including Spanish bands, he is a regular with people like George Michael. I´m very happy to know he's in new Gilmour cd!

My concern, if you can call it concern (which is more curiosity than concern) is about how it affected or was affected related to his friendship with MK. Danny is not only a top musician but also a top person, very kind, humble, and I´d love to think he and MK are ok, or/and him leaving the band didn´t affected him personally.
Agree on all counts wholeheartedly

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2015, 09:38:26 AM »
Hi all,

If you wonder about Danny, he also worked with a British band called Dworniak Bone and Lapsa, who are also friends of his.

They recorded a CD in 2014 which is called "Fingers pointing at the moon". I bought it back then and I find it absolutely brilliant if you ask me.

They are currently recording their second album, available maybe later this year. Looking forward to listening to it.

More info : http://dworniakbonelapsa.com

"Fingers pointing at the moon" is available on their website or on iTunes. You can buy it if you feel like it, it's really worth it : great melodies, guitars… and drums, very "Danny style"  :thumbsup

I still miss Danny tremendously, both as a musician and as a person.

Cheers all!

Offlinestratocasteph

• Local Hero
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2015, 10:00:12 AM »
I think Mark just likes to change often, solos, guitars, musicians.
but not set list.  :think

daveyray70

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2015, 06:20:10 PM »
I always thought that although Danny was a fantastic percussionist, there was nothing special about him as a kit player. He did the job admirably, but just didn't seem worthy to play with an artist of Mark's stature. Ian Thomas, to me, seems like a significant upgrade in the drumming department. I wonder if MK felt the same?

11-54_Stringcheese

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2015, 07:05:41 PM »
Ian is great, but a bit too domineering personality IMO.

OfflinePierre

• Camerado
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2015, 04:26:29 PM »
Maybe Chad complained about the set list. 

More seriously
My 2 cents:
I think MK has never really found THE drummer, the ideal one, he sticks with the same band since 1995 but he has used 3 drummers already. And it was the same with dire straits. I wouldn't be surprised if Ianto was replaced at some point. 
Interestingly when Jim Cox recovered from whatever it was that he had, MK immediatly took him back. If Chad did have a family problem, MK would probably have taken him back. As he didn't, we can assume it was either because Chad was not the best drummer for MK or simply because it was not a private problem to begin with but something to have with his behaviour in the band. 

It's no mystery that Jim is the best piano player for MK. Who knows who's the best drummer for MK. I think he knows exactly what he wants in many areas except in the drum department.

It is also something I got to discover in my being in several (amateur) bands in the last 15 years (sorry for the drummers out there) but drummers are a special breed. They are usually very good musicians with a great understanding of music but they are also often hard to work with. It's like they have a secret lore and a will of their own when it comes to playing in a band.
Mk, who likes to rule all areas where music is concerned, needs a good drummer but also a good soldier, a man who will do as he's told.

So maybe yeah, Chad was fed up with Done with Bonaparte and So far away at the time!  I'm only kidding! 

I still do think Chad is better than Danny and Ianto.

This is only what I imagine, I'm probably wrong.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2015, 04:39:28 PM »
I always thought that although Danny was a fantastic percussionist, there was nothing special about him as a kit player. He did the job admirably, but just didn't seem worthy to play with an artist of Mark's stature. Ian Thomas, to me, seems like a significant upgrade in the drumming department. I wonder if MK felt the same?
ianto  has some serious background. amongst other things he did drum with Gilmour on the strat 50th anniversary
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2015, 05:02:45 PM »
Maybe Chad complained about the set list. 

More seriously
My 2 cents:
I think MK has never really found THE drummer, the ideal one, he sticks with the same band since 1995 but he has used 3 drummers already. And it was the same with dire straits. I wouldn't be surprised if Ianto was replaced at some point. 
Interestingly when Jim Cox recovered from whatever it was that he had, MK immediatly took him back. If Chad did have a family problem, MK would probably have taken him back. As he didn't, we can assume it was either because Chad was not the best drummer for MK or simply because it was not a private problem to begin with but something to have with his behaviour in the band. 

Good point.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2015, 03:22:23 PM »
ianto  has some serious background. amongst other things he did drum with Gilmour on the strat 50th anniversary

He also played with Mike Oldfield, you can see him on the Tubular Bells 2 concert DVD from Edinburgh.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2015, 10:56:06 PM »

He also played with Mike Oldfield, you can see him on the Tubular Bells 2 concert DVD from Edinburgh.

And in the Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood live dvd...

And in the Music For Montserrat concert, playing along with Phil Collins...

And in the whole Strat Pack concert...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 40 queries.