Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: David Knopfler crowd funding next album  (Read 32207 times)

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
Re: David Knopfler crowd funding next album
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2015, 11:27:00 AM »
I saw David's debut LP 'release' at the local market this weekend. Didn't buy it though. Does it 'sound' any good? I've only heard Madonnas Daughter on yt and can't say that I'm too inpressed !
Just wondering if I should go and buy it, the vinyl looked on very good condition, like it was hardly played :)
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2015, 03:54:18 PM »
IMO DK's music is quite lame, but it can be nice to own a record or two of him because he is MK's brother and an important part of music history.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 07:51:18 PM by Mossguitar »

11-54_Stringcheese

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2015, 06:56:32 PM »
His work from the early 90s onwards is quite good. He's not as musically developed as Mark, but I think his lyrics are more philosophical/political/deeper than Mark's (too me many of Mark's songs read like Cliff Notes of famous novels ...). What really bugs me about David is his voice. He's trying too hard to sound gruff and rough. Like those Dire Straits tribute bands that try to copy Mark's voice - ugh.

Harry Bogdanov is an excellent guitarist, though.

Edit: I'm listening to the album Small Mercies right now on Spotify. I like it. Good songs and arrangements. Not so guitar heavy as Mark's stuff, but that's not always a bad thing. His voice is not as bad as I remembered actually.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 07:16:37 PM by Stringcheese »

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2015, 10:01:10 PM »
I saw David's debut LP 'release' at the local market this weekend. Didn't buy it though. Does it 'sound' any good? I've only heard Madonnas Daughter on yt and can't say that I'm too inpressed !
Just wondering if I should go and buy it, the vinyl looked on very good condition, like it was hardly played :)

As I recall on the vid I've seen on YouTube of The 1984 San Remo Festival MK didn't seem to be very serious during DK's performance of Madonna's Daughter!!! And he was on stage with his Brother playing guitar!!! He didn't seem to appreciate the song as he was joking,I think, with the other musicians!!! Or am I wrong?? You may have discussed this before??
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 09:01:46 AM »
DK's best albums are from 1993 to today more or less, being "The Giver" the first one that it´s really good. I also love "Small Mercies", "Wishbones" and "Ship Of Dreams".

You can help funding his next record just paying for it in advance, you don´t need to pay high amounts of money, actually I can´t, but pay for the cd, yes, I can.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2015, 04:17:52 AM »
DK just put on facebook that he intends to record Bernadette to inspire his crowd funding needs.
With home-recording so affordable these days I really wonder I poor David is aiming way above his market.. if he did a bunch of home demos he's just as likely to sell as many (or as little.)

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2015, 08:18:54 AM »
Dk explains it in the crowfunding site:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/david-knopfler-new-album-the-grace-project#/story

Historically, like many of my fellow singer-songwriters (who have avoided the mainstream and who work independently in the margins) we used to pay for our recordings through a network of international record deals with both Indie and Major record labels.  As most people know, with the advent of the Internet and digital media those kinds of arrangement are as good as obsolete.

Too many records these days are banged out from back bedrooms without due regard to quality. Those of you who know my work will know only too keenly that I don’t work that way.  I like to make personal, handmade records with great attention to both craft and art at each and every stage of the process, from writing to recording and mastering, to artwork and pressing.  I work with sympatico artisans, each who are masters of their own craft and all with inordinate attention to detail… essentially, those who have dedicated their lives to music over wealth. 

Harry Bogdanovs and I have been working on the album here in England off and on now for some time, either polishing tracks I began in Geneseo or originating tracks here ourselves, and I’m very excited about the wonderful work we’ve been producing together so far, and particularly about those songs we are planning to begin work on with other band musicians. 

I think it’s going to easily be my best studio album to date, but that can only happen to the highest standards if I have sufficient funds to hire the most appropriate players for my songs and to capture the magic and spirit of what we are capable of creating together in a professional studio. Working with diligence, passion and patience, it’s my sincere belief that together, with YOUR help, we can deliver a combination of special tracks, each with exactly the right instrumentation and production they need to give breadth to these songs and to give YOU the best possible listening experience when you hear the results.

I'm asking for $75,000 dollars as a reasonable budget to make the record but if we manage to exceed that amount, don't worry, we plan to use it on additional instrumentation and other trimmings. I've been known to hire whole orchestras before... Spending a recording budget is remarkably easy!

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2015, 08:22:41 PM »
DK just put on facebook that he intends to record Bernadette to inspire his crowd funding needs.
With home-recording so affordable these days I really wonder I poor David is aiming way above his market.. if he did a bunch of home demos he's just as likely to sell as many (or as little.)

Yes, 75k is totally nuts

Why?
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineAr (aka Enlight)

• Lady writer
  • WHAT IT IS.........
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2015, 02:58:04 AM »

I did and i never felt sorry , but that includes all his albums.
It has a nice orchestral feel number of tracks and a great voice.
last but least some nice subtle guitar playing.

Maybe this samples work for you  deciding  to buy or not to buy.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Release-David-Knopfler/dp/B002GS4RSK
Leaving nothing to interfere,
With the crazy balance of your mind.

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 06:06:45 AM »
Yeah I'll go get it next time I'm there, hopefully it's still lying around... :)

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2015, 02:26:13 PM »
Whatever he can obtain, it´s money of his own he has not to pay to record his cd.

I always wondered how he managed to record his last cds so nicely, with great musicians in nice studios with his sales, that are not of course sales of a big star... you can read big studio names and some familiar to us like Pino Palladino, Phil Palmer, B.J.Cole, Chris White, Alan Clark, Eddi Reader, Chris Rea etc etc

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2015, 11:55:55 PM »
His records sound like somebody doing a bad DS impersonation.  Nothing against him but I agree that 75k is nuts in this day and age. You can literally make a good record in your bedroom.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2015, 10:27:44 PM »
I would not laugh at him as he is an artist desperately trying to get money for his record.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinejabbathehut

• Camerado
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2015, 03:27:44 PM »
why can't he get a job like everyone else or go on Dragons Den.This is both pathetic and sad.I won't be investing.I'm out

OfflineThrottle

• Camerado
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2015, 08:02:19 PM »
The more I know about David, the more I respect Mark.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 38 queries.