Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Headband and wrist bands  (Read 8497 times)

OnlineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Headband and wrist bands
« on: August 31, 2015, 11:05:37 PM »
we all know that Mark wore wrist bands since early DS days
(at least since summer/fall 78, as he did not seems to have some in first leg of the year, see :
- first gig in summer 77 http://www.mk-guitar.com/2009/01/22/gear-on-one-of-the-first-dire-straits-gigs-on-the-clapham-common-bandstand/
- or this one http://www.mk-guitar.com/2012/06/12/new-picture-of-the-sultans-strat-before-being-refinished-to-red/
- or first OGWT 78 http://www.mk-guitar.com/2009/01/21/gear-on-dire-straits-first-tv-appearance-at-old-grey-whiste-test/
- or even the sultans clip, probably from early july 78 )

and a headband since CIRCA spring 83, and we all have already read that it was because of sweat due to stage lighting.

But I was wondering : has anyone seen him "using" his wrist band by toweling his face ? in early days or recently ?

He brought them since recent tours, and I don't remember any videos showing this kind of attitude, so I wonder : are they really for this purpose, or are they just for the look ?

Of course I know that during the end of the LOG tour, and especially during the BIA tour, it became his stage panoply, rather than a usefull accessoire, but in he beginning it was normally for using (like many other musicians do, e.g. Phil collins) not for the stage look

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
Re: Headband and wrist bands
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 01:05:00 AM »
His current wrist bands could very well serve the sweat band purpose; they would still help prevent sweat from interferring with his playing. He still needs to wipe his hands, but I am sure they would help!
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

OfflineThrottle

• Camerado
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 02:52:06 AM »
These wrist orthoses are not for appearance.
I can suppose, he wears them to prevent cramps of metacarpal muscles and/or to relieve the pain caused by carpal tunnel syndrome.

OnlineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 04:13:13 PM »
Yes I know they are not only for appearance, but I wondered if someone had once seen a video where He is toweling his face with them ?

during early days, he used to be more energic on stage, and you can see pictures where he sweats a lot, like here (scroll down) :
http://www.mk-guitar.com/2008/08/16/what-tuning-is-setting-me-up-by-dire-straits-and-what-guitar/

so I guess he must have used them to towel ? but can't remember this kind of situations in videos like rockpalast, chorus, etc...

Offlinecrimmer

• Camerado
  • BLUESY man Chris
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 09:41:44 PM »
think he has compression things under his wrist bands to help support his wrist with aching hands whist playing, helps me when I run with compression socks, but noticed at Manchester this year he didn't where anything on his wrists and great show , but 2011 he had some sort of compression thing on too
SHANGR LA-2 concerts  KTGC-3 concerts 
ATRR- 1 concert GET LUCKY - 3 concerts
2011- 2 concerts PRIVATEERING- 6 concerts
TRACKER 6 concerts
DTRW Barcelona, leeds, Newcastle, RAH x2 ,Manchester, Birmingham,

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 10:31:58 PM »
I think he needs them for support dearly these days, especially after a few weeks into a tour.  It was notable that his vibrato almost dropped away completely this tour and he dropped the songs that required strong vibrato such as KOG.  I'm not quite sure his rubbing of the hand on his trouser is just to get rid of sweat either;  it may relieve some stress on the wrist muscles.  It may not, but it would be a coincidence that he does it before a solo.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineThrottle

• Camerado
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 02:23:49 AM »
I wondered if someone had once seen a video where He is toweling his face with them ?

Unfortunately haven't seen. I remember only a towel. Big white towel on a yellow plain... That's all.

during early days, he used to be more energic on stage, and you can see pictures where he sweats a lot...

Adrenaline rush and mating behaviour...  Well, the train has already departed.
Choo-choo

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 05:14:56 AM »

Adrenaline rush and mating behaviour...  Well, the train has already departed.
Choo-choo
Oh my gosh, Throttle... you're killing me!
 :lol
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

OfflineIngo

• Camerado
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 11:20:14 AM »
His current wrist bands could very well serve the sweat band purpose; they would still help prevent sweat from interferring with his playing. He still needs to wipe his hands, but I am sure they would help!

He does not need them against sweat anymore as modern lights (LEDs) hardly produces any heat !
my Mark Knopfler guitar style website:
http://www.mk-guitar.com/

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 11:25:04 AM »

He does not need them against sweat anymore as modern lights (LEDs) hardly produces any heat !

He still sweats a lot as can be seen from some of the videos, due to very hot weather eg St Julien in 2013!  The whole band were drenched with sweat!
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 02:11:27 PM »

He still sweats a lot as can be seen from some of the videos, due to very hot weather eg St Julien in 2013!  The whole band were drenched with sweat!

That is only an occasion that happens on a few outdoor concerts but doesn't explain why he wears them every other concert including modern air conditioned venues and also freezing outdoor gigs in Scandinavia.  The real reason is pretty clear to me and Guy revealed his RSI during the STP tour on his forum. 

11-54_Stringcheese

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 02:18:11 PM »
I think it's because he finds them cool. I'm sure he'd love to dig out the headband too, but with no hair he'll look like an egg wearing a belt. That's not cool.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 02:22:37 PM »
I think it's because he finds them cool. I'm sure he'd love to dig out the headband too, but with no hair he'll look like an egg wearing a belt. That's not cool.

Didn't Humpty Dumpty wear a belt?  You saying he isn't cool?  8)

11-54_Stringcheese

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 02:25:59 PM »
When Mark gets a bit older, he'll start wearing his pants like Clint Eastwood. Then he'll look like Humpty Dumpty.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 02:34:21 PM »
Maybe they are multi-purpose.  To absorb the sweat when it's hot, to keep his wrists warm when it's cold and because he thinks they look cool!   I think they look quite s e x y anyway!   ;)   Oh, and to hide the strapping underneath!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 02:36:48 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 42 queries.