Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dany Lademacher asked to replace DK  (Read 1987 times)

OfflineVesper

• Lady writer
Dany Lademacher asked to replace DK
« on: September 17, 2015, 09:34:52 PM »
Found this in the Panorama (Dutch magazine) today. It's about the (great) Belgian guitarist Dany Lademacher(Herman Brood, The Radios).

Translated:
Mark Knopfler once called you with a proposal...
"Yes. I've never seen my dad so angry. The man that didn't want me to make music at all. He's never been at one of my concerts and that's a shame, I think. My mother neither, my dad forbade her. My dad kicked me out of the house when I was 17 and from that moment on it was exit. Until then my musical development wasn't public, after that my father read about it in the papers. But yes, Mark Knopfler on the phone. If we could meet, so we went for diner, very cosy. He had just kicked his brother out of the band and was looking for a guitarist. That evening I told him immediately:'I'm sorry, but I'm not the man your looking for'. He could well imagine. He even said: 'I wouldn't have done it myself'. I didn't want to bring someone's tea to his bed. I was writing my own music, didn't feel like standing back on stage and do nothing else. I'm not better than my neighbour, but when I play guitar, I play guitar. And not someone else. And with Dire Straits you're just standing next to Mark Knopfler playing along, I find that uninteresting. So no."

New information to me.

Offlinewespresso

• Camerado
  • Stick at it..
Re: Dany Lademacher asked to replace DK
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 10:36:03 PM »
Yes very interesting! Thanks for sharing, good find :)

11-54_Stringcheese

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 07:08:50 AM »
I of course understand the thought of not wanting to be someone else's strummer (as DK puts it), but I'd been happy to strum for a couple of years for Mark  ;D

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 08:31:06 AM »
I of course understand the thought of not wanting to be someone else's strummer (as DK puts it), but I'd been happy to strum for a couple of years for Mark  ;D

If you are looking for the money, or the experience, yes, of course, but if you are an artist yourself... Vince Gill also refused to be MK sideman during the OES tour, and he was right about it. He had a nice career, and his friendship with MK remained to this days.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 10:00:59 PM »
Remeber reading this story ages ago. Danny is a great player. Wonder how Mark got on to him, I am guessing via his friend Herman schueremans, the legendary promotor of (torhout)werchter

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.028 seconds with 40 queries.